Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Unnumbered 2006 Bowman Sterling Gold and Black Refractors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Doing an ebay search for Verlander cards, I ran across some 2006 Bowman Sterling gold refractors and black refractors that are unnumbered and not in an uncirculated case. Anybody know what gives? The sellers blowoutsportscards and bigboydsportscards3 seem to have a lot of these cards. The golds are numbered to 10 and I've already seen auctions for 2 unnumbered gold Verlanders.

[ebay:1nq610j0]140348213741[/ebay:1nq610j0]
[ebay:1nq610j0]230381988969[/ebay:1nq610j0]

Alex

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
i hate lies

2006 BOWMAN STERLING ROOKIE BLACK REFRACTOR JUSTIN VERLANDER #BS-JV. BECKETT STATES ONLY 25 COPIES PRODUCED, CARD IS NOT SERIAL NUMBERED. CARD IS MINT, RARE, AND VERY TOUGH TO FIND.

that is a lie big boyd

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
And the line from the blowoutsportscards auction is "Stated print run on the Black Refractors is 25 and the Gold, only 10!" That's not exactly truthful either.

Alex

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Did these all come in packs in uncirculated cases ( the numbered versions)?

So would these not numbered versions, pretty much be 1/1. Might be a chance to swoop in and score some unique cards in these auctions.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
So is their more than just one unnumbered versions of these or we thinking their may be quite a few of these that didn't get serial numbered.
If print run is super low on these not numbered versions. I see that as huge value add to these cards.

Bigboyd is rock solid ebayer. Bought from him before and never had any problems.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Verlander Gold Refractors
Sold by bigboyd -- [ebay:3s3vjb60]220481371426[/ebay:3s3vjb60]
Currently listed by bigboyd -- [ebay:3s3vjb60]290352727352[/ebay:3s3vjb60]
Currently listed by blowoutsportscards -- [ebay:3s3vjb60]140348213741[/ebay:3s3vjb60]

Why would there be at least 3 unnumbered gold refractors when the serialized print run is only 10?

Alex

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I've never had problems with Terry either and always thought him to be a stand-up guy. If there's some issue with him, don't we owe it to him, and those who buy these cards, to ask what's going on here?

cgilmo said:
I am really disappointed in bigboyd

Always had him tagged for one of the more ethical guys out there.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
I've never had problems with Terry either and always thought him to be a stand-up guy. If there's some issue with him, don't we owe it to him, and those who buy these cards, to ask what's going on here?

cgilmo said:
I am really disappointed in bigboyd

Always had him tagged for one of the more ethical guys out there.

my issue is that he is telling a bold face blatant lie in his auction

I have bought from him before and had no problems either, but that isn't the only indication of a good seller.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jeff N. said:
What would all of the holier than thous out there do should they wind up with 10-20 of these unnumbered cards if not sell them on eBay?

Pretty sure the objection isn't that they're being listed on eBay; it's the print run that's causing controversy.

I for one think Topps should put out a press release containing a full disclosure as to exactly how these cards were distributed, plus the exact print run.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
If Topps said the gold refractors were all numbered ie "gold refractors numbered out of 50", then only those with numbering are gold refractors by definition. In this case those without numbering would clearly NOT be gold refractors...they would simply only look like gold refractors.

On the other hand if Topps has only said there are "50 gold refractors produced" or "50 sets produced" there should be an explanation from Topps as they never said anything about numbering.

Its all about the semantics.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Jeff N. said:
What would all of the holier than thous out there do should they wind up with 10-20 of these unnumbered cards if not sell them on eBay?

my complaint is not them selling back door stuff

It's personal property and they have the right to sell it. My problem is that they are mis representing what the cards are.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
If Topps said the gold refractors were all numbered ie "gold refractors numbered out of 50", then only those with numbering are gold refractors by definition. In this case those without numbering would clearly NOT be gold refractors...they would simply only look like gold refractors.

Trying not to be condescending here, but if a card is made with chrome technology, and is gold, and refracts, it is, in fact, a gold refractor. Whether it is #ed to 50 or not is another issue. In this case, there's no doubt that both the #ed and un#ed refractors ARE gold refractors. The question is the origin of the unnumbered refractor.

On the other hand if Topps has only said there are "50 gold refractors produced" or "50 sets produced" there should be an explanation from Topps as they never said anything about numbering.

Its all about the semantics.

I believe Topps' standard line is "50 serially numbered gold refractors" or something like that.

I have no problems with extra cards being printed for replacements. I don't know if others do. I think it's pretty clear that these went out the back door.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cgilmo said:
Jeff N. said:

my complaint is not them selling back door stuff

It's personal property and they have the right to sell it. My problem is that they are mis representing what the cards are.

There has to be a certain level of caveat emptor with any baseball card. The seller listed the stated print run. The experienced card buyer - and I think almost everyone on FCB - knows that a gold refractor is serially #ed. Therefore, the experienced card buyer knows something is up with this card. I don't see listing the stated print run any different than puffing, saying what a great prospect this guy is, or that he's a shooin for ROY, or anything like that.

If the seller came out and said "only 50 gold refractors exist, numbered or unnumbered", that's another story. But what we have here is simply puffery.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
ah okay. wonder why extras that weren't machine stamped were even made? that's really weird.

cgilmo said:
markakis8 said:
Is the lie that "Beckett states the print run is..."? I'm confused.

the pack issued cards were serial numbered out of the packs

beckett didn't tell anyone squat about these cards, its a clear name drop and a lie

Members online

Latest posts