Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's NY-Penn League Top 20 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This'll make several of you Sox fans happy. I can't figure out why McEachern didn't make it.

NEW YORK-PENN LEAGUE
TOP 20 PROSPECTS
1. Ryan Westmoreland, of, Lowell (Red Sox)
2. Alexander Colome, rhp, Hudson Valley (Rays)
3. Arodys Vizcaino, rhp, Staten Island (Yankees)
4. Sebastian Valle, c, Williamsport (Phillies)
5. Jason Kipnis, of, Mahoning Valley (Indians)
6. Victor Black, rhp, State College (Pirates)
7. Ramon Benjamin, lhp, Jamestown (Marlins)
8. Arquimedes Caminero, rhp, Jamestown (Marlins)
9. Alex Wilson, rhp, Lowell (Red Sox)
10. Kyle Lobstein, lhp, Hudson Valley (Rays)
11. Anthony Hewitt, 3b, Williamsport (Phillies)
12. Adam Warren, rhp, Staten Island (Yankees)
13. Destin Hood, of, Vermont (Nationals)
14. Jimmy Paredes, 2b, Staten Island (Yankees)
15. Derrik Gibson, 2b/ss, Lowell (Red Sox)
16. Leandro Castro, of, Williamsport (Phillies)
17. Kyle Conley, of, Batavia (Cardinals)
18. Neil Medchill, of, Staten Island (Yankees)
19. Michael Almanzar, 3b, Lowell (Red Sox)
20. Jim Fuller, lhp, Brooklyn (Mets)

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Also, could someone explain to me how Hewitt made this list and Collier didn't?

(Hewitt K'd 77 times out of 233 AB's.)

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:

I was shocked to see him on there, let alone being at 11. I am glad though that it sounds like he has gotten a better swing and just needs to work on his timing.

Also happy to see Valle. He's a guy who really needs a card.

Did Collier qualify?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ryanhoward06 said:
Jaypers said:

I was shocked to see him on there, let alone being at 11. I am glad though that it sounds like he has gotten a better swing and just needs to work on his timing.

Did Collier qualify?

137 AB's, so I would think so. Not sure how BA defines "qualify", though.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
ryanhoward06 said:
Jaypers said:

Did Collier qualify?

137 AB's, so I would think so. Not sure how BA defines "qualify", though.

It could be they will have him on the Sallly list. I would be surprised if he isn't because he is still getting good rantings from scouts.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Jaypers said:

Hewitt's tools are still going to entice a lot of people, and shockingly, even with a so-so year, he actually made some strides this year in terms of contact and his defense. In Collier's case, there seems to be a feeling that the tools really are just going to play average across the board, except that now there is legit concern that the power and hit tools are further behind than anticipated.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
jlecates said:
Jaypers said:

Hewitt's tools are still going to entice a lot of people, and shockingly, even with a so-so year, he actually made some strides this year in terms of contact and his defense. In Collier's case, there seems to be a feeling that the tools really are just going to play average across the board, except that now there is legit concern that the power and hit tools are further behind than anticipated.

jose (san diego): Exactly what do you think Hewitts potential is or will be? And how long will it take him to reach it? How many years away? And is he a top 10 for the phillies this year? Thanx

Aaron Fitt: His potential is enormous -- there aren't too many guys out there with 70 raw power, 65 speed and 70 arm strength. He's built like Ron Gant, but he has a better arm. I think, first of all, that the Phillies need to give up on the infield experiment and move him to the outfield, where seemingly everybody thinks he's going to wind up. He's got enough work to do on his offensive game without having to worry about learning third base too, when there's very little chance he sticks at third -- he just doesn't have infield actions or infield instincts. Hewitt is just a classic high risk, high reward prospect. He's still extremely raw, and it's going to take him a lot of time to work his way through the minors. But if he figures it out, he could be very, very good.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
Jaypers said:
jlecates said:
Jaypers said:

jose (san diego): Exactly what do you think Hewitts potential is or will be? And how long will it take him to reach it? How many years away? And is he a top 10 for the phillies this year? Thanx

Aaron Fitt: His potential is enormous -- there aren't too many guys out there with 70 raw power, 65 speed and 70 arm strength. He's built like Ron Gant, but he has a better arm. I think, first of all, that the Phillies need to give up on the infield experiment and move him to the outfield, where seemingly everybody thinks he's going to wind up. He's got enough work to do on his offensive game without having to worry about learning third base too, when there's very little chance he sticks at third -- he just doesn't have infield actions or infield instincts. Hewitt is just a classic high risk, high reward prospect. He's still extremely raw, and it's going to take him a lot of time to work his way through the minors. But if he figures it out, he could be very, very good.
:lol: Yeah, don't get me wrong - the D was bad, but last year in the GCL was beyond brutal.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
blazers091 said:
you have more stuff of his than i do

I certainly do, and he has certainly not lived up to expectations. Falling from #8 ranked Red Sox prospect in March, all the way down to #38 currently. I'm hopeful that this was a rough year, but how he even cracked this top 20 list blows my mind. Was the NYPL that weak this year?

Members online

Latest posts