Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OFFICIAL 2009 Secret Santa Info Thread and Signup!

Do we need to use "book value" or "sell/cash value"?

• Book value

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Hey folks, I figured we needed to get on the ball with this as its nearing October and that only gives participants about two months to shop and get packages out. I am still working on a few kinks for this but I feel that it still needs to be done!

signup sheet
http://freedomcardboard.com/secretsanta.php

Without further adieu, here we go.

There will be three levels again this year.

Low End--total accumulated book value of 40 dollars with atleast one card having a 20 dollar book value
Mid End--total accumulated book value of 80 dollars with atleast one card having a book value of 40 dollars
High End--total accumulated book value of 150 dollars with aleast one card having a book value of 100 dollars.

Now, with that said, please feel free to out do your fellow collectors by sending more than the specified values. Its all about giving. Additionally, try to find something that your "victim" really likes. Now, with some it will be difficult as nobody can really get a Michael Jordan 1/1 logoman auto but maybe if the person likes Jordan, find a nice Jordan jersey or insert or something comparable.

OK, so here's what you need to do. Please post in this thread what level you want to be included in. I would ask that you list atleast FIVE players/cards/sets/types of cards you are looking for. Please be as specific as possible and if you can't, give a genre of cards ex.....1995 Upper Deck SE Gold parallel cards or 2008 Topps Finest Gold Refractors......the more info you give the better off your partner is in finding you something nice.

RULES
A. All participants in this year's 2009 Secret Santa will have to have been a member since April 1, 2009 and have to be in good standing. If you have issues such as "send first" or a poor feedback, you will need to be approved by the staff before being allowed in. If you have questions, feel free to send a PM or email to the mod staff.

1. Every participant is required to ship with delivery confirmation and in a bubble mailer. Do not chock a package full of base cards that fulfilll the requirements unless those cards are what your "victim" has asked for. This will eliminate those dreaded "I got hosed" threads that we hate to see. If you need more info on this, please ask. I am asking that all packages

2. ALL PACKAGES NEED TO BE MAILED BY DECEMBER 5, 2009. THIS WILL GIVE ALL PACKAGES THREE WEEKS TO GET TO THEIR DESTINATIONS. IF YOU HAVE AN AUCTION THAT ENDS AFTER THE DECEMBER 5TH DEADLINE, PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL NOTE IT. YOU MAY POSSIBLY HAVE TO RESORT TO AN EXPEDITED SHIPPING METHOD TO GET THE PACKAGE THERE BY DECEMBER 25TH.

3. Please specify what sport you want to do if baseball isn't your #1 choice. I will do my best to match up other sport participants to the best of my ability. If only one person signs up for hockey, then they will be asked to pick another sport.

4. To all HIGH END participants. You will need to be prescreened before entering this category. Due to the dollar amount of cards being exchanged, we want to ensure that all participants will get something. If you don't normally exchange high end cards, this category might not be for you. If you have any questions, please ask.

IMPORTANT!!!--All participants that do NOTsend packages WILL BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS. Yes I am writing in caps lock because we want it to be clear that we (the staff) will not tolerate non senders. Special circumstances are understood such as lost mail, damaged mail, stolen mail, etc......but you need to COMMUNICATE with me and my assistant(TBD) so that you don't get put on "the LIST".

Good luck, have fun and lets have another successful year for Secret Santa! If you have any questions, please PM me. Thanks.

Brian

Additionally, we will hopefully be installing the tracking page and info page so some of you that post on here might be asked to re-enter the information again. I will keep all of you updated!

Bouwobs notes

Anyone who gets suspended for 7 or more days, regardless of offence will be ineligible.

Those who have the send first icon are also ineligible.

All entries must be sent with DC. High end must be sent with signature confirmation.

If your victim does not receive their end and you cannot prove that you sent the items, you will immediately be permanently banned from the site. We may also take action against individuals who fall in to this category at our discretion.

We want to make this safe and fun for everyone.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Before I decide to enter into a certain level, how should we determine the "book value" of a card if it isn't listed? I would think it would be easier for many if the requirements were sale value. Maybe im wrong though, just thought most hated using book value

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
mredsox89 said:
Before I decide to enter into a certain level, how should we determine the "book value" of a card if it isn't listed? I would think it would be easier for many if the requirements were sale value. Maybe im wrong though, just thought most hated using book value

Always a tough question. I would think that with the volatility of the sale values, it would be easier to perhaps try to put a "book" value on the cards. It makes it easier for people to buy as many cards sell for less than the target "book" value amounts. I mean, we can change this if the word is clear from the membership to use sale values. I will set up a poll at the top for this.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
blanning71 said:
mredsox89 said:

Always a tough question. I would think that with the volatility of the sale values, it would be easier to perhaps try to put a "book" value on the cards. It makes it easier for people to buy as many cards sell for less than the target "book" value amounts. I mean, we can change this if the word is clear from the membership to use sale values. I will set up a poll at the top for this.

Sounds good. I really mention it for the high value group, because I would imagine most of the cards will be low numbered and thus not have a book value. We have just seen that some stupid base cards or inserts can have a book value of $10+ when their ebay value is actually .99 or something like that

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
I vote "sell value" ... sign me up for high-end :mrgreen:
I couldn't imagine someone wanting to vote BV unless they have cards that book high, but don't sell high....why else would someone want to do BV?
If you use SV, it seems the board would be more even. If you use BV, the SV can be all over the field.

bricewaynebisel

Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Sign me up for the mid end please. I'd vote for the sell value, but if book value needed to be included as well, maybe it could be split, with the requirement of the $40+ card (in the med group for example) being based on cash value. And when you have some people in mind, I'd really like a chance to start mine as soon as possible so I can get my shopping out of the way before law finals start during the begining of December. Thanks,
Brice

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Put me on the list for:

2 low
2 med
1 high-end..

Can we have a white-elephant xchange as well.. where you send a card you have and don't want/need.. :lol:

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
Please put me in for the high end group.
I can't wait to find out what I'm sending to my victim!

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
I'd be in for low and mid-end.

I prefer baseball, but if you end up with an odd number for hockey, I can do that.

Updated: to include wants
1) Josh Hamilton autos & GU (base and parallels also, so basically anything)
2) Canadian players (Jason Bay, Stubby Clapp, Phillippe Aumont, etc) autographs and GU - Canadian unis preferred
3) Toronto Blue Jays patches
4) Allen & Ginter black bordered minis from 2008 & 2009
5) USA Baseball on card autographs from 2008.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I really want to know when we need to sign up by. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to participate, but I need to decide at what level. Please let me know when the sign up due date is. Thanks.

Members online

Latest posts