Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS & Back Centering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
How much does the back centering of a card affects its overall centering grade? Does anyone have a graded 9 or higher centering with off centering (on the back)?

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
BGS 9.5! With a 10 for centering!

desalvoback.jpg

desalvofront.jpg

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
BGS Grading Scale...

Gem Mint 9.5
Centering: 50/50 one way, 55/45 the other on front. 65/35 or better on back
Corners: Mint to the naked eye, but slight imperfections allowed under magnification.
Edges: Virtually Mint to the naked eye. A speck of wear is allowed under intense scrutiny.
Surface: A few extremely minor print spots, detectable only under intense scrutiny. Deep color, devoid of registration or focus imperfections. Perfect gloss, devoid of scratches and metallic print lines

Mint 9
Centering: 55/45 both ways on front. 70/30 or better on back.
Corners: Mint upon close inspection. A speck of wear is allowed under intense scrutiny.
Edges: Virtually Mint to the naked eye. Unobtrusive specks of chipping on the borders are allowed.
Surface: A handful of printing specks or one minor spot. Very minor focus or color imperfections. Clean gloss with one or two tiny scratches barely noticeable to the naked eye. One faint, unobtrusive metallic print line is allowed.

Comparatively PSA pays less attention to back centering. I think it's just a case of "how many gems would be gems if the back centering had to be 55/45"?

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
It has to be eye popping bad or miss-cut on the back to really affect the grade. And the grader has to check the back. I doubt it gets more than a glance. I've seen some bad rough cut edges and back whited corners in 9 and 9.5 holders.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Grading is never consistent, that should be grading guideline #1.

No matter the parameters and expectations being set, a human is still looking at it.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Grading is never consistent, that should be grading guideline #1.

No matter the parameters and expectations being set, a human is still looking at it.

Agreed. You would think that centering would be the most consistent thing yet it appears to be the least.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
That DeSalvo pisses me off. I can't even get a 9 for centering on this and they say it's because of the back centering (other three grades were 10, 9.5, 9.5).

3984517397_e0386b6f91.jpg

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
That DeSalvo definitely doesn't deserve a 10 for centering, should probably be a 9 to be honest. I would say that centering grade is the extreme and normally back centering has more of an effect.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
That DeSalvo definitely doesn't deserve a 10 for centering, should probably be a 9 to be honest. I would say that centering grade is the extreme and normally back centering has more of an effect.

It deserves a 9? The centering on mine is much, much better and they'll only give it an 8.5.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:

It deserves a 9? The centering on mine is much, much better and they'll only give it an 8.5.

I've regularly seen it get a 9, maybe an 8.5 if the grader is not in a good mood. Your's should definitely be at least a 9. No way it is more than 70/30 on the back. Whats the front look like?

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:

I've regularly seen it get a 9, maybe an 8.5 if the grader is not in a good mood. Your's should definitely be at least a 9. No way it is more than 70/30 on the back. Whats the front look like?

The front is good. They sent a note back when I sent it for a bumb stating that the back centering is why it is not a 9.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:

The front is good. They sent a note back when I sent it for a bumb stating that the back centering is why it is not a 9.

So it was slabbed as an 8.5 centering and u resubbed and they said they couldn't bump it? I would send it in again and hope they give you the sub bump. I know people who have resubbed a card 5+ times until they finally got them the sub bump

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:

So it was slabbed as an 8.5 centering and u resubbed and they said they couldn't bump it? I would send it in again and hope they give you the sub bump. I know people who have resubbed a card 5+ times until they finally got them the sub bump

I've subbed it three times so far.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:
flightposite said:
mredsox89 said:
flightposite said:
[quote="mredsox89":1hd8m1mu]That DeSalvo definitely doesn't deserve a 10 for centering, should probably be a 9 to be honest. I would say that centering grade is the extreme and normally back centering has more of an effect.

I've subbed it three times so far.[/quote:1hd8m1mu]

Maybe the 4th time's the charm, lol. Or maybe cracking it out and resubmitting it would get it done. Proves how inconsistent grading is, but you might as well take advantage of it at this point. Centering should be so easy to grade yet its not. It amazes me. The grader can just take out a ruler and measure. Idk why its so inconsistent

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
Post a pic of the front, BGS Standards for Mint 9 are...

Centering: 55/45 both ways on front. 70/30 or better on back... that card is better than 70/30, it has to be the front.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
1995BBRefractorGuy said:
Post a pic of the front, BGS Standards for Mint 9 are...

Centering: 55/45 both ways on front. 70/30 or better on back... that card is better than 70/30, it has to be the front.

Are you talking to me? As stated, they included a note stating that the L-R centering on the back was why they couldn't give it a 9. Here is the front scan anyway...

3278534318_69abfdb8b3.jpg

Members online

Latest posts