Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A very snazzy, jazzy, Dazzy pick-up! (+ one other old-timer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
HOFer auto number 170....love his signature!!

[center:5yxg1n2s]Vance.jpg[/center:5yxg1n2s]

#171.......HOF manager Bill McKechnie

[center:5yxg1n2s]McKechnie.jpg[/center:5yxg1n2s]

Both will go to PSA when I accumulate a few more to submit but these were bought from RR Auction and come pre certified by PSA.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
metallicalex777 said:
Thats definitely some VERY nice penmanship on both of those cards!!! Nice pickups Scott :mrgreen:

Thanks Alex!!

The Vance is from 1954 while the McKechnie is from 1962, both on GPC's (government postcards) and have residue (paper and glue) on the reverse from where they were glued in a scrap book of some sort.

How was the game today??

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
pghbuccos said:
great pickups Scott.

especially the McKechnie. it's always cool to see Pirate HOF auto's.

Thanks Dave!

.....and I did not know he won pennants with 3 teams (one web site says he is the only manager to do this, another says he was the first??)

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
MaineMule said:
metallicalex777 said:
Thats definitely some VERY nice penmanship on both of those cards!!! Nice pickups Scott :mrgreen:

Thanks Alex!!

The Vance is from 1954 while the McKechnie is from 1962, both on GPC's (government postcards) and have residue (paper and glue) on the reverse from where they were glued in a scrap book of some sort.

How was the game today??

Just wanted to see the nice autos again :mrgreen: Game was great...I hope to have pics posted in todays MT in about 2 hours or so ;)

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
MaineMule said:
pghbuccos said:
great pickups Scott.

Thanks Dave!

.....and I did not know he won pennants with 3 teams (one web site says he is the only manager to do this, another says he was the first??)

he was born in Pittsburgh and the Pirates Spring Training facility in Bradenton Florida is named after him.

McKechnie was the first and Dick Williams is the only other manager to do it. he managed the Impossible Dream Red Sox in '67, won back to back World Series with the A's in '72 & '73 and managed the Padres to the World Series in '84.

HOF.com

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
pghbuccos said:
MaineMule said:
pghbuccos said:
great pickups Scott.

Thanks Dave!

he was born in Pittsburgh and the Pirates Spring Training facility in Bradenton Florida is named after him.

McKechnie was the first and Dick Williams is the only other manager to do it. he managed the Impossible Dream Red Sox in '67, won back to back World Series with the A's in '72 & '73 and managed the Padres to the World Series in '84.

HOF.com

.....of course I know Dick Williams... ::facepalm:: did not come up with his name.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
MaineMule said:
pghbuccos said:
MaineMule said:
pghbuccos said:
great pickups Scott.

Thanks Dave!

HOF.com

.....of course I know Dick Williams... ::facepalm:: did not come up with his name.

:D I was hoping you knew it was Williams. that is a great trivia question though.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
pghbuccos said:
MaineMule said:
pghbuccos said:
MaineMule said:
pghbuccos said:
great pickups Scott.

Thanks Dave!

HOF.com

:D I was hoping you knew it was Williams. that is a great trivia question though.

...Williams only won the Series with one franchise while McKechnie won with two.

Here are my Williams autos for show and tell......(the index card is at PSA as we speak ;) )

[center:2m56mjig]dwilliams99gotg.jpg

WilliamsD.jpg[/center:2m56mjig]

Members online