Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Old Ted Williams photo/card in hand-anyone know what I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Re: Hmm, not sure what I won but had to have it, old Ted W item?

Nice pickup Scott, I've never seen anything like that before but a deal IMO at 18 and change. Very eye appealing to me atleast

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008

The small photo is his head shot from 1939. You can find a better picture of it in his Green Diamond site. Not sure about the other photo though.

Shep

I will try and post a photo I have of him that I have never seen before when I get home from work tonight.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008

You have no idea how thankful I am you posted this. I have one of those, Mize, Dimaggio, a Yankees team Photo, and some other ones. I've put pictures up everywhere, including here and no onr had any idea what they were. I can sell them now that I know what they sell for. Thanks again!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

Thanks everyone who posted......

shep and goldenegg1- please show your photos here if you can.......

Andy and Andrew, thanks for your comments, my snipe was set way higher as if it really dates to the 1940's it must be quite rare (having never seen it before).

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Finally got this scanned, any help as to what issue this is would be appreciated. It is not in my BIG book of baseball cards (The Standard Catalogue).

[center:r1mf01o0]41PrintWilliamsF.jpg
41PrintWilliamsB.jpg[/center:r1mf01o0]

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
My question is....why would it be stamped "Printed 1940"? There is no copyright information, just something implying that it is old.

That to me is bizarre.

I know nothing about this, but unless something has a copyright and date, I've never seen just "PRINTED [YEAR]" before.

I will say this, if I was going to create something say in the 1970s-80s and make it appear old, using circa 1940 bio information I would probably stamp it "PRINTED 1940".

DISCLAIMER: I am a pessimist.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
200lbhockeyplayer said:
My question is....why would it be stamped "Printed 1940"? There is no copyright information, just something implying that it is old.

That to me is bizarre.

I know nothing about this, but unless something has a copyright and date, I've never seen just "PRINTED [YEAR]" before.

I will say this, if I was going to create something say in the 1970s-80s and make it appear old, using circa 1940 bio information I would probably stamp it "PRINTED 1940".

DISCLAIMER: I am a pessimist.

...I will say that the "paper stock" seems similar to that of various Williams team issued cards that I have from the 40's and 50's. Being a hardcore Williams collector it was worth a few bucks to go after this since I had never seen it previously. I will keep sleuthing.....

justinmandawg said:
I had some ww2 army chests. All of them had the information inside them using the same "printed 19xx". Seemed odd to me.

......seller indicated that it was found in a "box" won at auction. I did email seller and he/she claimed they had no further info. Also looked like seller was not a card or sports memorabilia seller by nature.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I wonder if these were printed specifically for servicemen overseas?

I agree that seeing "PRINTED 1940" raises some eyebrows...like if I were to wear a tshirt that said "Million Dollar Man," I don't know who would believe it...that being said, it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility that it is actually a period piece.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
BunchOBull said:
I wonder if these were printed specifically for servicemen overseas?

I agree that seeing "PRINTED 1940" raises some eyebrows...like if I were to wear a tshirt that said "Million Dollar Man," I don't know who would believe it...that being said, it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility that it is actually a period piece.

Interesting thought.....wonder if goldenegg1 has seen this.........

edit, here is goldenegg1 "subject" from earlier this year.......

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50158&p=654691&hilit=+dimaggio#p654691

Members online

Latest posts