Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Joe Nathan could he

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
look more scared pitching in a big game. What a complete joke, guy is horrible in the postseason. If Twins can get anything decent and move his contract I'm all for it. Use his money on Mauers deal.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
matchpenalty said:
look more scared pitching in a big game. What a complete joke, guy is horrible in the postseason. If Twins can get anything decent and move his contract I'm all for it. Use his money on Mauers deal.

He did look out of his element, but he's one of the best closers in the game and the MN would be dumb to let him go. Twins management already said they're prepared to offer Mauer 120 Million for 7 years.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I am sure I will get hosed for this, but this entire year, he has had to make it intresting. I get nervous everytime he comes in the game

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
We'd be stupid to get rid of him. We have no replacement whatsoever.

He did seem to be 'off' for a good portion of the later season and carried it into tonight. IMO, his problem seems to be with not throwing strikes and falling behind so much.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
cartersprings said:
We'd be stupid to get rid of him. We have no replacement whatsoever.

He did seem to be 'off' for a good portion of the later season and carried it into tonight. IMO, his problem seems to be with not throwing strikes and falling behind so much.

If they get rid of Nathan not only will they not make the playoffs, they probably finish 3rd or 4th in the division.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Joe Nathan always seems vulnerable against the Yankees. So much so I was hoping Gardi would not put his ass in the game. Nathan is the one who walked four Yanks in a row to tie the game and then surrender the GW hit the last time these two teams met in the playoffs. Nathan is the one who blew a two run lead against the Yanks earlier this year. Joe Nathan versus Yankees = Blow Nathan. I sometimes wonder why managers are so quick to put in the closer. It cost the Cards yesterday and cost the Twins today.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Lally1 said:
I am sure I will get hosed for this, but this entire year, he has had to make it intresting. I get nervous everytime he comes in the game

All season this year, he has reminded me of the season Eddie Guardado got all those saves. Always a couple of walks or hits. That said, a change would be ridiculous.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
flightposite said:
Lally1 said:

All season this year, he has reminded me of the season Eddie Guardado got all those saves. Always a couple of walks or hits. That said, a change would be ridiculous.

Still can't believe his mentality was to give aroid something to hit with a 3-0 count with the tying run on......I never saw such a stupid move in a baseball game. This Twins team is the worst postseason team I have seen in 10 years. Hope they get swept so we can get on to some real competition......hope it isn't my sox they are sure to be embarassed.

::facepalm::

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
matchpenalty said:
I'd shop him all off season and get the best deal. He is only going to get worse.

over react much?

This is why some people are fans, and some make the decisions for a baseball team.

The Cubs will trade you Kevin Gregg and Carlos Marmol for him. 20-25 teams in baseball will trade you their TOP 2 relievers for Nathan.

Maybe the Twins should trade Morneau also, he is hurt too much....
etc etc etc

skrip

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
ballerskrip said:
matchpenalty said:
I'd shop him all off season and get the best deal. He is only going to get worse.

over react much?

This is why some people are fans, and some make the decisions for a baseball team.

The Cubs will trade you Kevin Gregg and Carlos Marmol for him. 20-25 teams in baseball will trade you their TOP 2 relievers for Nathan.

etc etc etc

skrip

If it was first time he looked scared to death out there in post season I could live with it. He flat out sucks in October. He did same thing before in playoffs vs Yanks.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
matchpenalty said:
ballerskrip said:
matchpenalty said:

over react much?

etc etc etc

skrip

If it was first time he looked scared to death out there in post season I could live with it. He flat out sucks in October. He did same thing before in playoffs vs Yanks.

Ok, who is your closer next year then?

What do you think you are getting for Nathan?

Will you take a step back or forward with your new closer?

How much your new closer cost?

I would like to get your thoughts on all of the above. If the answer is IDK for any of them, then I would stick with one of the top 5 closers in baseball.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Twins aren't getting anything for Nathan. He is pretty much untradeable with his monster contract. What team would take on his 12 plus million a season for a gutless postseason pitcher?
Twins are very good at judging talent. Just like they took Nathan and made him closer. Twins have a lot of young arms. I'd try a few of them at it. They did same thing with Agge. The closer role is way over valued money wise. Small market teams shouldn't overpay for a closers.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
matchpenalty said:
Twins aren't getting anything for Nathan. He is pretty much untradeable with his monster contract. What team would take on his 12 plus million a season for a gutless postseason pitcher?
Twins are very good at judging talent. Just like they took Nathan and made him closer. Twins have a lot of young arms. I'd try a few of them at it. They did same thing with Agge. The closer role is way over valued money wise. Small market teams shouldn't overpay for a closers.

SOooooooo, you can't answer any of the 4 questions, meaining you will have Nathan as your closer next year. You are NOT grooming someone to take over and you aren't going to get any better via trade or free agency.

If they tried out 2-3 young guys and they weren't working out, what do you think the fan base would do? They would string up the GM, call for his job, and call him an idiot for trading away the guy that led the AL in saves.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Who freaking knows if they take a step back. I doubt it. Twins win with D and doing little things. Nathan is far from lights out. People ooooooh and ah over his saves, but many of them are far from smooth.

1, Guy I try is Liriano as a closer or even Slowey.
2. Have no idea what kind of return I get on Nathan. If I can shed his 12 million a year and get a couple decent prospects I'm happy.
I use that money saved on locking up Mauer.
3. Unknown on #3 nobody knows the what any team and player will do the following season.
4. New closer cost less than a million.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I do think in general closers are overrated. That said, pretty much every team in baseball would love to have Nathan. I don't know how a guy with an ERA in the 2s can be considered bad.

Personally, I dislike the idea of closers in general unless you have sure fire stud. Which only includes a handful of teams. Most of the league pretends to have a closer, when they should just keep the hot hand going. I'd guess at least 35% of games this year were blown one way or another because teams brought in their closer instead of going with the guy that was getting it done the inning prior.

Edit: I just looked up the amount of blown saves this year. There were 586 blown saves total. Which came out to a league average for saves of 67%. That's not the greatest. 33% of games were blown. Something has to be changed in the way games are managed.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
the count was 3-1 kind of a big difference

EricInCT said:
flightposite said:
Lally1 said:

Still can't believe his mentality was to give aroid something to hit with a 3-0 count with the tying run on......I never saw such a stupid move in a baseball game. This Twins team is the worst postseason team I have seen in 10 years. Hope they get swept so we can get on to some real competition......hope it isn't my sox they are sure to be embarassed.

::facepalm::

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
K-Rod left the Angels and how bad id it hurt them??? Oh yea.... just 1 win away from the ALCS. K-Rod got his money... Mets had a GREAT season ::facepalm:: and Angels didnt miss a beat.

Frow

nborton said:
I do think in general closers are overrated. That said, pretty much every team in baseball would love to have Nathan. I don't know how a guy with an ERA in the 2s can be considered bad.

Personally, I dislike the idea of closers in general unless you have sure fire stud. Which only includes a handful of teams. Most of the league pretends to have a closer, when they should just keep the hot hand going. I'd guess at least 35% of games this year were blown one way or another because teams brought in their closer instead of going with the guy that was getting it done the inning prior.

Edit: I just looked up the amount of blown saves this year. There were 586 blown saves total. Which came out to a league average for saves of 67%. That's not the greatest. 33% of games were blown. Something has to be changed in the way games are managed.

Agree...never been a fan myself. When you save your best pitcher for the last inning when you have a 98% chance of winning anyway its kind of silly.

Members online

Latest posts