Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

80's Player collectors, I need help with MSA Discs!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
I have a pretty good Roger Clemens collection going and there are a handful of cards that I need from 1984-1994.
3 of them are MSA discs.

1988 Key Food Disc #9
1988 Weis Market Disc #9
1989 Our Own Disc #8

I have never seen any player from these sets. Do they exist? If so, could you please post a scan!

Also, have never seen these either:

1991 7-11 National Disc #3
1992 Barry Colla All-Star Promo

Thanks,
Keith

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
I love those disc sets. They are *very* tough, and it's not surprising that you haven't located them, yet. They may book for a buck or two, but you should be willing to go much higher than that if two people see them at the same time.

Here's a thread on the PSA boards that will give you some background into the set. I've slowly been knocking them off my want list. If you're dedicated and patient, you'll find 'em. (And, for the record, every time I walk by the Key Foods on Manhattan's Lower East Side I have an urge to ask if they have any old boxes in the basement...)

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=527620

Good luck!

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
I still think those Tetley's are the hardest!

tetley.jpg

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Those scans are very helpful!!!
Thank you for your effort.

I didn't see a scan for the 1988 Key Food and the 1989 Our Own sets.
Are those the hardest?

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
klute14 said:
Those scans are very helpful!!!
Thank you for your effort.

I didn't see a scan for the 1988 Key Food and the 1989 Our Own sets.
Are those the hardest?

I'm glad you like them. I sorta caught the tea disc bug a while ago, and I've been chasing them ever since. You should check out that link to the PSA message board, as well. As for their relative scarcity, I really can't say. In my book, nearly *all* of them are tough. The Key Food discs have been the toughest for me, but it really seems to be random chance as to what show up on Ebay. Just set your search to run every day, and eventually you'll find 'em.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
the 1989 Our Own Tea Disc is the last on my wantlist.. I've never seen any player let alone mine. I needed the Weis Market one until this year (found a guy on Ebay who ended up having a bunch of them and posted here which others got their guy from him as well). most of these things probably got thrown out and the ones that remain probably sit in common's boxes because they have no perceived market value. Wish I was sitting on a small stash of them cause they would make a small fortune.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
1st4040 said:
...Wish I was sitting on a small stash of them cause they would make a small fortune.

You should make a small fortune, but I'm not sure you would. I remember a couple years ago a player collector was complaining on a message board that he didn't want to pay $3 shipping for a card that only booked for $.50. He was talking about one of the discs and didn't want to spend the $5 total. I responded and said that he should pay the $5 and run all the way home, but I'm not sure he did so.

These discs are like a lot of oddball issues, in that only a small number of people want them, and an even smaller number know how tough they are. I can easily see a disc selling for $20 on one day and $.99 a year later. Just one of those things. I've picked up many of mine on Ebay for the minimum bid plus shipping, despite my being very willing and able to pay significantly more. I guess the lesson is that being rare doesn't always equal being valuable...

klute14

Dec 4, 2008
Maine
Regarding the Weis disc you speak of, was that 1988?
Did the guy have a Clemens?

1st4040 said:
the 1989 Our Own Tea Disc is the last on my wantlist.. I've never seen any player let alone mine. I needed the Weis Market one until this year (found a guy on Ebay who ended up having a bunch of them and posted here which others got their guy from him as well). most of these things probably got thrown out and the ones that remain probably sit in common's boxes because they have no perceived market value. Wish I was sitting on a small stash of them cause they would make a small fortune.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
Drew,
Any reason that the 1990 Superstars hand-cut disc shows "4th Annual" instead of "3rd Annual" like the others in 1990? Are all the Superstars like that or was this a promo someone cut up? Love all those Clarks as always.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
ronfromfresno said:
Drew,
Any reason that the 1990 Superstars hand-cut disc shows "4th Annual" instead of "3rd Annual" like the others in 1990? Are all the Superstars like that or was this a promo someone cut up? Love all those Clarks as always.

Huh. Never noticed that. I have no idea whatsoever, other than speculating that the Superstars started a year earlier than the others. I know there are some 1987 discs out there, but I've never focused on them as Will isn't in the set.

Also, from my checklist, I seem to be missing these discs:
1988 Key Foods
1989 Our Own Tea
1990 MSA Iced Tea

Someday. Someday...

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
klute14 said:
Regarding the Weis disc you speak of, was that 1988?
Did the guy have a Clemens?

1st4040 said:

The Weis was a 1989 issue also.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Ah the MSA discs. Two of those guys have eluded me for years. Finding the Key Foods for me was the equivalent of many finding their white whale. As my fellow oldie said, Key Foods and Weis Market are a pain in the ass to find. Oddly enough, the two that I thought I would have no problem finding are two of the last:

1988 MSA -- 4 of 20
1989 MSA Our Own Tea 3 of 20

What I have:
http://www.joering.com/mcgwire/index.ph ... Search=msa

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Welcome to this week's "Turn Back the Clock Thread"!

I'm writing up the next parts of my series of blog posts about "round" cards from my Dave Winfield collection and need some help. I'm working on the post covering 1985-1988 and as I'm filling out the details for the 1987 MSA sets, I realized I have absolutely no idea how the "1987 MSA Iced Tea" or "Baseball Super Stars" set was distributed. Does anyone know what store chain or product it was associated with?

Members online

No members online now.