Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Noticed sellers on ebay are using free shipping more, why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Is there some kind of benefit to applying free shipping to your auctions?

A year ago, you couldn't find an auction with free shipping.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I had a 07 Donruss Football card double jsy of Brandon Jackson and kenny Irons /500 i listed it 2 times on ebay with .99 auction and 2.50 shipping with no luck and tried to sell it other sites for 3-4.00 dlvd with no luck.

I finally listed again on ebay with free shipping and got 6.51 for it.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
edwards_everything said:
I think offering free shipping moves you "higher" or closer to the top of the page under the best match feature.

+1, also there was a two month period for me (don't know if i still have it) where it reduced my final value cost a small percentage.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
I started using Free Shipping a couple of years ago. I grade a lot of cards, and when I sold my base chrome 9.5s, there were often a lot of sellers that had the same card for sale. If a seller was selling a card for $19.99, they often had $3.50 shipping (sometimes more). However, those cards often went unsold. I experimented with selling the same card for $21.99 with free shipping, and they started flying. As I often had multiple copies of the same card (like Laporta and Heyward base chromes last year), people would buy 3 or 4 cards and they would know the total before hitting the BUY IT NOW. This makes a big difference compared to buying multiple copies from another seller where you aren't entirely certain if they combine shipping. I haven't looked back.

Additionally, with the Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) from ebay, Free Shipping is one way to get 5 stars for "Shipping and Handling Charges." In fact, if you offer free shipping, ebay "reminds" the buyer (when they go to leave feedback) that the shipping was free. Like someone else said, free shipping promotions can offer lower ebay fees as well.

David

Aug 7, 2008
Maryland
I have notice that using free shipping also helps. Alot of people see $3 + for shipping and are turned away because they know it won't cost that much to ship one card even with DC. I wouldn't care either way but that is my take on it.

Members online

Latest posts