Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many pitchers have gotten a walk off hit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
I know there are several guys who know a lot of baseball oddities, so I'm hoping someone can answer this.

How many pitchers have gotten a walk off hit(walk, etc) to win themselves the game? More so in the last 30-40 years as I'm sure there used to be a lot.

I was thinking of this earlier when we were watching clips of Harry Kalas and him announcing Mitch Williams getting a hit to win the game at 3 in the morning.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
i'd say very few have, and very very few have done it as a starting pitcher. what i mean is that it may have happened if the pitcher was a greta hitter and he happened to pinch hit a walk off, but if it's the bottom of the 9th and the score is tied would you let your pitcher hit?

cammy collector

May 4, 2009
Western Maryland
some info gathered from a google search

Pitchers with walk-off homers:

In 1957 Bob Grim did it against the Red Sox and the next day Dixie Howell
Wes Ferrell on 8/22/1934 and 7/22/1935
Craig Lefferts on 4/25/1986
Red Ruffing on 4/14/1933

PS Babe Ruth never did it as a pitcher

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
J.O. said:
i'd say very few have, and very very few have done it as a starting pitcher. what i mean is that it may have happened if the pitcher was a greta hitter and he happened to pinch hit a walk off, but if it's the bottom of the 9th and the score is tied would you let your pitcher hit?

Right, I'm sure that happens every now and then, but for a pitcher to get the walk off hit to win themselves the game has to be pretty rare since closers have evolved.

Mitch Williams did it because they had run of out pinch hitters and maybe pitchers too so he was in for the long haul.

Good stuff Cammy Collector. Thanks for the post.

Members online