Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I thought this would never happen to me but I got laid off..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I'm still in total shock. I worked in an advertising agency in Atlanta (Norcross) which is publicly owned/traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. The Canadian owners flew down to Atlanta yesterday for a budgeting meeting. Everyone already knew who was going to get cut but they added me to the list because they didn't want to pay my salary anymore (I'm guessing). They figured they could split my work amongst the remaining marketing department (which is 1 guy now). The CEO, CFO, and VP of Sales were made aware of this decision 15 minutes before they called me in. What a crappy way to go into the Christmas holidays. I just had my annual review by the board and I received perfect marks with a promotion to management in 2009. I'm dumbfounded by their decision.

My wife and I just came back from returning all our Christmas presents except for a couple things for our 4-month old daughter. With the economy the way it is it'll be tough to find a job around this time of year especially in Atlanta. And eBay sales have plummeted; I've seen auctions ending for prices that are ridiculously low.

I hope you guys have a great Christmas and be very thankful for everything you have. BTW, I never sent you guys a pic of my baby daughter. Meet Elia Li-Yah Shen!

SDC10029.jpg

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
Damn man, sorry to hear. I made some nice money working in video production and then people stopped getting their pay checks. Two checks in a row and then one day everything was gone and I am out $2,500 dollars.

I hope everything works out for you. Apply for temporary unemployment. I have a 2 1/2 year old so I know what it's like.

Good luck and stay strong.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
That just sucks, really sorry to hear that. Don't worry about PC. Just keep your head up man and things should work themselves out.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Ouch! I hate that so many companies make layoffs during the holidays. Don't get too down, you'll make it through this. I was laid off or part of a company that ceased to exist three times in and year in a half during the dotcom bust. I know how hard it can be but since you have a UCLA degree I'm sure you'll be able to get your foot in the door somewhere soon.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
This is why I will never give any employer the benefit of putting in two weeks notice. They expect two weeks so they can find a replacement, but they have no problem laying someone off with no warning and no time to find employment elsewhere? Utter hypocrisy

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
JoshHamilton said:
This is why I will never give any employer the benefit of putting in two weeks notice. They expect two weeks so they can find a replacement, but they have no problem laying someone off with no warning and no time to find employment elsewhere? Utter hypocrisy

Really? What happens when you're looking for a new job that wants references? I'm sure a lot of those former employers will remember you leaving them high and dry.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
ru4scuba said:
Ouch! I hate that so many companies make layoffs during the holidays. Don't get too down, you'll make it through this. I was laid off or part of a company that ceased to exist three times in and year in a half during the dotcom bust. I know how hard it can be but since you have a UCLA degree I'm sure you'll be able to get your foot in the door somewhere soon.

What I've found out in life is that most of the time its who you know. My UCLA degree hasn't been of any help to me besides being able to brag about college basketball.

Allen

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:

Really? What happens when you're looking for a new job that wants references? I'm sure a lot of those former employers will remember you leaving them high and dry.

I know there are risks involved

But what gives employers the right to leave you high and dry without consequence, but you can't do the same? It's a double standard, and it's unfair

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:

But what gives employers the right to leave you high and dry without consequence, but you can't do the same? It's a double standard, and it's unfair

Welcome to the real world.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Bruin7 said:
ru4scuba said:

What I've found out in life is that most of the time its who you know. My UCLA degree hasn't been of any help to me besides being able to brag about college basketball.

Allen

Very true, but my point was more along the lines that the degree does help get you into a few more interviews.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
WaxHeaven said:
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:

Welcome to the real world.

BTW Wax Heaven, I'm the same BMBer in which you wrote a fantastic blog for on the 2007 Topps Triple Threads Hide Mantle/Wright/ARod Auto 1/1. Thanks again as it helped in the sale earlier this year.

Allen

starwarsfan2003

Dec 4, 2008
Bruin, I feel your pain man. The exact same thing happened to me in 2002, same time also (2 weeks before Xmas), except in my case we were waiting on the birth of my son. I also worked in advertising (network media buyer), and the reasoning behind my layoff was because I was one of the 3 highest paid in my position level.

Keep your head up, and work those contacts NOW, before Christmas, because the new batch of applicants come with the new year. Also, give some thought about working freelance, that might help you get the foot in the door, that's what I ended up doing for like a year and a half after I got laid off. Call headhunters asap Monday.

Unfortunately, when the economy goes bad, the ad revenue is the first to go. It's cyclical, it will come back. Just not soon enough for you and your family. Have you given any thought about moving up to NY? You might be able to get a position here?

Anyway, best of luck and If there's any way I can help, PM me.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:

As Mario said a couple posts up, "welcome to the real world." Your stance on the matter reeks of immaturity and lack of professionalism. All it takes is one background call to a former employer that you didn't give notice to and you will have cost yourself a future position.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
JoshHamilton said:

You might be able to get away with that if you jump ship from Jack In The Box to go and work at Arby's but it WILL catch-up to you one day in the real world or office environment.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:
ru4scuba said:
JoshHamilton said:

As Mario said a couple posts up, "welcome to the real world." Your stance on the matter reeks of immaturity and lack of professionalism. All it takes is one background call to a former employer that you didn't give notice to and you will have cost yourself a future position.

If my mindset reeks of immaturity and a lack of professionalism, what does it say about businesses that use the same practice?

If there was an employer reference check that potential employees could use to determine the merits of an employer, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
JoshHamilton said:
If my mindset reeks of immaturity and a lack of professionalism, what does it say about businesses that use the same practice?

If there was an employer reference check that potential employees could use to determine the merits of an employer, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

The bottom line is life isn't fair, get over it. If you're stupid enough to continually bail on a company it will catch up to you. There is nothing left to say on the matter.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
Sorry to hear about your being laid off. My wife's company has gone through two cuts (the latest being yesterday) and we've been fortunate that she's kept her job. They cut her boss in the first round and then laid off roughly 45/250 employees yesterday. She's definitely on edge especially since she works remote.

It does sound like you did well at your job so you should at least get some really good references from them. Did they at least give you some type of severance package? If not, then that's pretty bad.

Members online