Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Piazza Vs Mauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgribbon

Jan 11, 2009
If you were starting a team tomorrow and you had the option of either Piazza or Mauer as your starting catcher who would you choose.

Both are rookies.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Mauer. His defense trumps whatever offensive (read power) edge that Piazza has at this point. Remember that Piazza had below average arm.

Alex

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
UMich92 said:
Mauer. His defense trumps whatever offensive (read power) edge that Piazza has at this point. Remember that Piazza had below average arm.

Alex

Not to forget Piazza alleged steroids user according to Jeff Pearlman's book.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Who says Piazza was enchanced?

Jeff Pearlman?

ehhhh, not too sure about that.

Maybe one day we will here the names of Albert Pujols, Joe Mauer, and others linked to steiroids, but it doesn'y mean they used them.

Skrip

A_Pharis

markakis8 said:
shouldn't be in the discussion. a fine defensive catcher in his prime but was jorge posada-ish offensively.

A_Pharis said:
bouwob said:

Carlton Fisk?

I was making a bit of a joke. I saw two people suggest "Pudge" -- knowing they were probably referring to Rodriguez. Just figured I'd pretend I thought they meant Fisk.

That said -- I'd take Fisk if I could see his entire career ahead of time (like the Piazza suggestion).

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
You would take Fisk over Mauer?

A_Pharis said:
I was making a bit of a joke. I saw two people suggest "Pudge" -- knowing they were probably referring to Rodriguez. Just figured I'd pretend I thought they meant Fisk.

That said -- I'd take Fisk if I could see his entire career ahead of time (like the Piazza suggestion).

A_Pharis

markakis8 said:

A_Pharis said:

Guaranteed Hall of Famer? The MVP status? Decent stats?
Yeah, I'd take him.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I'm a bit confused by your explanation. You are one of the few board members on here whose opinions I respect. But here it is quite mind-boggling.

Sure Fisk is a HOF (and IMO he shouldn't be) but that doesn't mean he's a better player than Mauer. I would take Mauer in his early, progressive seasons over Fisk in his prime anyday.

Fisk was never really an MVP-candidate. I believe he finished in the Top 5 once...I could be wrong. I do know he never won an MVP. Fisk had durability and a bit of power...that's it. He played in an era where catchers were solely defined on their defense. His power made him a perennial All-Star by popularity (same could be said for Ozzie Smith and his spectacular defense and personality). In short, his popularity made him a HOF, like Ozzie.

Mauer has proven to us in his short career his superb defense along with his great hitting ABILITY. Then to top it off, this year, he has showed us he can hit the long ball like Fisk.

Piazza and Bench are considered the greatest catchers of all time b/c of the offensive numbers they put. I would argue Bench is the greatest b/c of his offensive and defensive abilities. Mauer is showing he could rank up there with Bench one day.

A_Pharis said:
markakis8 said:

[quote="A_Pharis":ldyxkfj5]

Guaranteed Hall of Famer? The MVP status? Decent stats?
Yeah, I'd take him.[/quote:ldyxkfj5]

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Mauer is an awesome talent with unlimited potential. I'd take him & gamble on a continued future HOF career, maybe the best all-around catcher ever by 2020.