Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS Authentic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassprokvd

May 10, 2009
TITLETOWN, Wisconsin
When you see the blue label slab that reads bgs authentic, is it just for the auto, or is it to say the whole card is real w/ the auto(no trimming,no tampering)
thanks for the info.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
bassprokvd said:
When you see the blue label slab that reads bgs authentic, is it just for the auto, or is it to say the whole card is real w/ the auto(no trimming,no tampering)
thanks for the info.

It definitely doesn't guarantee there is no trimming or tampering. Often, because a card is trimmed, people choose the authentic slab.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Not sure what the previous poster is trying to say. But there are two types of BGS slabs with blue authentic labels.

One is a JSA authentic label which is for after-market autos. It states that the auto on the card is genuine.

The second type of label is the regular BGS authentic label. This one has nothing to do with the autograph (unless it's pack-certified) but does confirm that the card is authentic and unaltered. There is a specific designation for this type of label of "Authentic-Altered," which is for when the card has been deemed a genuine manufactured card, but altered in some way.

Info on Authentic-Altered:
http://www.beckett.com/news/reportcard/archive.asp?a=10101&s=62

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Jastermereel said:
bassprokvd said:
thanks for the info.

It definitely doesn't guarantee there is no trimming or tampering. Often, because a card is trimmed, people choose the authentic slab.

VERY incorrect. BGS Authentic slabs gaurantee that the card has not been altered, or trimmed.

They look like this:
Griffey.jpg

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
baseballguy350 said:
Jastermereel said:
bassprokvd said:
thanks for the info.

VERY incorrect. BGS Authentic slabs gaurantee that the card has not been altered, or trimmed.

They look like this:
Griffey.jpg

I'm not sure how that photo justifies your statement.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Jastermereel said:
bassprokvd said:
thanks for the info.

wrong.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
bassprokvd said:
so if the label looks exactly like this, the card is real and no trimming or any other tampering has taken place with the card.

that is correct. if something has been altered with the card it will say "altered" beside the word authentic

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Codasco07 said:
!BZe0BWg!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLl0oH(BKm88Kctl!~~_12.jpg

The autograph is marked authentic, but the card is altered.

actually that isn't a JSA label. They are not confirming that the auto is authentic. They are just confirming that the card is authentic (an actual SP Arod buyback), but altered in someway.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
bassprokvd said:
so if the label says ALTERED then its been tampered (trimming. etc)
if the label just says authentic its real and no tampering has taken place.

Winner winner chicken dinner

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Jastermereel said:
I'm not sure how that photo justifies your statement.

It doesn't. I was showing an example of what they look like for members who don't know.

On topic:
If they are in the BGS Authentic holder, they are not trimmed, or altered in any way. BGS has the Authentic option for the sole purpose of sending in cards to be deemed as such.

Although grading companies make mistakes, I trust any card slabbed in a BGS Authentic holder to be authentic, and not altered or trimmed in any way.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
G $MONEY$ said:
actually that isn't a JSA label. They are not confirming that the auto is authentic. They are just confirming that the card is authentic (an actual SP Arod buyback), but altered in someway.

Bingo. I'd stay away, as the lack of a JSA logo means that the autograph wasn't authenticated, and it COULD have been an authentic ARod Sp rookie buyback, and the autograph COULD have been added aftermarket.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
bassprokvd said:
so if the label says ALTERED then its been tampered (trimming. etc)
if the label just says authentic its real and no tampering has taken place.

No tampering has taken place in the opinion of a BGS grader, correct.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
baseballguy350 said:
G $MONEY$ said:

Bingo. I'd stay away, as the lack of a JSA logo means that the autograph wasn't authenticated, and it COULD have been an authentic ARod Sp rookie buyback, and the autograph COULD have been added aftermarket.

I'm not sure why I thought that, the auto is terrible. Thanks for clarifying for everyone else.

Members online

Latest posts