Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How often do you buy a box, and hit the card you want

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Nice. I ripped numerous boxes from 2000-2005, and got worthless GU and autos because I really wasn't up to date with ebay value and such. Since I restarted in 06, I've ripped 4 cases and a few boxes, all prospects, and haven't really hit one card that I was aiming for.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Nice Stuff Gilmo.....Love it when that happens, but never seems to.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple packs of sweet spot buying them strictly looking for a Strasburg and luckily hit the auto. Oh, and it was out of retail!

skrip

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I bought a 12 box case of 2005/06 SPA Hockey and wanted to get an rookie auto of Sidney Crosby and got it in the 3rd pack of my 1st box and then got another one in the last box..
I was a happy camper then!!

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
ballerskrip said:

A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple packs of sweet spot buying them strictly looking for a Strasburg and luckily hit the auto. Oh, and it was out of retail!

skrip

Now that is a true fools errand Matt.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
cgilmo said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

Hahha, yep, it was. I don't have a shop within 45 minutes of me now and the old wal mart has been my stop about once a week. Which has been a poor decision overall...

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Congrats! I was shooting for a Dayan Viciedo out of contenders last year and I hit one. But that's about the only time that's ever happened.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Mine was not a box it was a few packs
I bought 3 packs of cards and pulled this I was hoping to get the case hit ( I know a long shot)
But I did there was 8 packs left in that box.
scan0020-1.jpg

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
Big Mac McGwire said:
1 time. back when a card that had a print run of 15,000 was considered rare......like i said, a long time ago

jORDANGOLD.jpg

haha that sucks. that dude didnt even make the majors

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
cgilmo said:
hansonspa.jpg

happened to me today

Erich bought the next box, and hit a Wieters

That is just not fair. I'm a Braves fan and I never hit any Braves in boxes. Always autos of crappy guys like Pujols, Jeter, ect... LOL ::facepalm::

Sick pull bud. Hopefully I can get my hands on one.

~AJ

ctmike

Oct 9, 2009
Connecticut
Very rarely happens. Nice pull for you. I once bought 2 hobby boxes of 2005/06 Upper Deck Hockey Series 1 trying to get Sidney Crosby's young guns rookie. I did get one. Bought several football 2007 boxes trying to get Adrian Peterson rookies, got a Donruss Classics #'d 100, Bowman Chrome Refractor, and Topps Chrome base. Nothing spectacular but still I was pleased being a Vikings fan. Got two Vikings rookies out of the same Absolute Memo box, but both were Sidney Rice rookie Jersey and rookie Jersey prime.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
I opened my first 08 BDP box and hit a buster posey chrome auto

In goodwin i was hoping for a lincecum base and GU and got both.

that's probably it. everything else is a nice surprise.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
I've only done it once. I did it with a box of artifacts hockey. I saw this card pulled on a box break on the old Beckett boards and went out the next day and bought a box, hoping for this card... I crapped myself.

Cards021-1.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Rarely.In fact it has only happened once because I normally don't buy a box hoping for anything too specific.I do wish to hit some autos of guys like Hank Aaron or Larry Bird but considering how little I buy of the kinds of products they would likely be in...my chances are slim to none.I hoped for a Entomology redemption out of Goodwin and hit one out of the only box I purchased.I have hit some pretty good cards before but like I said...its never anything too specific I am looking for.I like to not get my hopes up too high and then be pleasantly surprised.I did hit something out of a blaster I wanted once.I was buying some Bowman product a while back and out of the entire auto checklist they had...the only guy on there I collected was Kyle Drabek so I figured if I hit any auto...that would be the one I would want to hit.My wife opened up a few packs and wouldn't you know it!She pulled that very card.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
cgilmo said:

From now on, I guess this means I have to show up just before you buy your boxes at shows, huh?

I pulled a gold refractor Eli Manning auto from 2004 Bowman Chrome Football, when I was looking for either Roethlisberger or Eli. It was slabbed as a PSA 9, I cracked it and submitted it to BGS, where it was slabbed a 9.5. I sold it on Naxcom for $900.

David

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Never pulled a Dawson or Billy Williams out of a box. Then I wised up and started buying singles :D

ballerskrip said:
cgilmo said:
ballerskrip said:

skrip

Hahha, yep, it was. I don't have a shop within 45 minutes of me now and the old wal mart has been my stop about once a week. Which has been a poor decision overall...
If you live close enough to go to the shows in Schaumburg and Rolling Meadows, then there should be a shop within 45 min.

Members online

Latest posts