Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 Topps = 1 million buybacks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
From the Beckett Blog - apparently, we're going to get a buyback per pack... That explains the shortage of 1986 and 1987 Topps in the marketplace.

. and buying back a million baseball cards for a unique promotion surrounding 2010 Topps Baseball and . . .

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
So what I get from the this is, now that they are THE licensed mfg, they are going to milk the hell out of it and water down the entire hobby. This was my favorite part of the interview sneek peek.

And just what we can show on the cards and what they can look like. We don’t know what our competitor is going to do exactly, but it’s not much of a baseball card if you can’t say “New York Yankees” with the Yankees’ logo, or show somebody with a Dodgers uniform that says “Dodgers” across the front of it. Again, we don’t know what our competitor will do but we know what we’re going to do and we’re going to have some great products out there with great photos that really take advantage of the fact that we are the only Major League Baseball card this year.

Shot across the bow anyone?

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Are there any surprises in store for 2010 that you might be ready to unveil?
[One] exciting thing that I don’t think has been talked about yet is going to be in our Topps Series 1, Series 2 and I think Updates and Highlights as well. We’re launching the Topps Million Card Giveaway. You know how everyone always says “my mother threw out all my cards?” Well, now Topps is giving back all those cards that your mother threw out.

We’re buying back a million cards and they’re going to be available in our packs through online codes. We’re going to have at least one of every base card we’ve ever produced available. Every 1952 card, every 1953 card . . . at least one of everything. There are about 38,000 different base cards that we’ve done over the years and that doesn’t quite get us to a million, so we have multiples of many of them. We’re going to have some autograph cards, some Relic cards; some really interesting cards. We have some Willie Mays Rookie Cards, some that are autographed; so there’s going to be a lot of great, interesting items available.

The way it’s going to work is that in one in six packs of Topps Series 1 and Series 2, you will get a code and you’ll take that code online and that will unlock your actual vintage card that you will be getting. It’s not a digital card. You unlock it online but what you’ve won is an actual vintage card that Topps has bought back. You can get it delivered if you want, when you want. The other thing you’ll be able to do is trade that card.

It’s a huge promotion. A million cards is not easy to buy back. We’re going through the process now. There are going to be several Rookie Mantles in there. There’s also going to be a sweepstakes where every time you enter a code you will be entered into a sweepstakes and the winner will get a complete 1952 Topps set.

It’s a neat concept and we think it’s going to be a huge boost to Topps Baseball in 2010.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Philip J. Fry said:
[One] exciting thing that I don’t think has been talked about yet is going to be in our Topps Series 1, Series 2 and I think Updates and Highlights as well. We’re launching the Topps Million Card Giveaway. You know how everyone always says “my mother threw out all my cards?” Well, now Topps is giving back all those cards that your mother threw out.

We’re buying back a million cards and they’re going to be available in our packs through online codes. We’re going to have at least one of every base card we’ve ever produced available. Every 1952 card, every 1953 card . . . at least one of everything. There are about 38,000 different base cards that we’ve done over the years and that doesn’t quite get us to a million, so we have multiples of many of them. We’re going to have some autograph cards, some Relic cards; some really interesting cards. We have some Willie Mays Rookie Cards, some that are autographed; so there’s going to be a lot of great, interesting items available.

The way it’s going to work is that in one in six packs of Topps Series 1 and Series 2, you will get a code and you’ll take that code online and that will unlock your actual vintage card that you will be getting. It’s not a digital card. You unlock it online but what you’ve won is an actual vintage card that Topps has bought back. You can get it delivered if you want, when you want. The other thing you’ll be able to do is trade that card.

It’s a huge promotion. A million cards is not easy to buy back. We’re going through the process now. There are going to be several Rookie Mantles in there. There’s also going to be a sweepstakes where every time you enter a code you will be entered into a sweepstakes and the winner will get a complete 1952 Topps set.

It’s a neat concept and we think it’s going to be a huge boost to Topps Baseball in 2010.

Source.

1,000,000 cards * 6 = 6,000,000 total packs. That's a lot. 3m per series.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Jeff N. said:
[quote="Philip J. Fry":3lw6jqnk]

1,000,000 cards * 6 = 6,000,000 total packs. That's a lot. 3m per series.[/quote:3lw6jqnk]

Sure is!

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Philip J. Fry said:

So basically, between Series 1 & 2 we know that about 6 million packs will be produced. Which is roughly what? 60 million cards? Holy Crap! Over 150,000 boxes between hobby and jumbo

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Jaypers said:
~ You loved it in 1991. You'll love it even more now. ~

Yep, 1991 Topps gave you the chance to win complete sets of Topps from 1952-1990, and the instant win vintage cards. I <3 retro!

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Philip J. Fry said:
Jaypers said:

Yep, 1991 Topps gave you the chance to win complete sets of Topps from 1952-1990, and the instant win vintage cards. I <3 retro!

In 1991, I had the possibility of actually getting a 1986 Butch Hobson Topps card in MY PACK!

Now I have to go to a computer to type in the redemption code -- and possibly pay shipping and handling? -- for my 1987 Topps Mike Greenwell card.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Philip J. Fry said:
Jaypers said:

If you win something that cool, then obviously that's a pollute your britches type pull.
However, I don't think anyone will be as excited with a Gregg Jeffries buyback :lol:

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
chashawk said:
Philip J. Fry said:

So basically, between Series 1 & 2 we know that about 6 million packs will be produced. Which is roughly what? 60 million cards? Holy Crap! Over 150,000 boxes between hobby and jumbo

How do we know this will be a hobby exclusive?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Rudzud said:
chashawk said:
Philip J. Fry said:

We Don't, but If you break it down to blasters and retail packs/cereal boxes, then the number goes up even more.
Just saying. With all the "the hobby is dying" talk lately, that seems like a crapload of boxes.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
chashawk said:
Philip J. Fry said:
Jaypers said:

If you win something that cool, then obviously that's a pollute your britches type pull.
However, I don't think anyone will be as excited with a Gregg Jeffries buyback :lol:

And Jeffries will actually be one of the better pulls...in the whole scheme of Topps base sets...you could get Les Lancaster or someone like that instead. (ultimately its brutal one way or the other)

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
chashawk said:
Rudzud said:
chashawk said:
Philip J. Fry said:

We Don't, but If you break it down to blasters and retail packs/cereal boxes, then the number goes up even more.
Just saying. With all the "the hobby is dying" talk lately, that seems like a crapload of boxes.

Sounds just like 1990 all over again. That's why stuff from then and even now today has such little value. I mean who even cares about base cards anymore? There are just too many of them now.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I guarantee that everyone here who gets a redemption card will be looking it up online, except for the dealers among us who will be happy to sell them in lots :)

But this promotion, just like the earlier one, is more geared into getting 'non-elite' collectors into collecting again. Any 14 year old kid who loves baseball and has even a basic love of baseball cards would still love receiving a 1968 Topps common card. If this wasn't you at some point at your life then I don't understand why you're here...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
uniquebaseballcards said:
I guarantee that everyone here who gets a redemption card will be looking it up online, except for the dealers among us who will be happy to sell them in lots :)

But this promotion, just like the earlier one, is more geared into getting 'non-elite' collectors into collecting again. Any 14 year old kid who loves baseball and has even a basic love of baseball cards would still love receiving a 1968 Topps common card. If this wasn't you at some point at your life then I don't understand why you're here...
That's well understood, but out of those 1,000,000, how many do you think will be from the 50's and 60's vs. 1985-1995 ??

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
In 2001 topps allegedly inserted 25 signed 1952 topps Willie Mays into boxes of topps heritage. I have
collected topps heritage heavily since 2001 and have never, ever see one let alone 25. Topps is going
to insert signed Willie Mays 52 cards into packs of 2010 topps....WTF?

Kevin

Members online

Latest posts