Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Clemson player honoring Jasper Howard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
Look for it this Saturday

Coach Swinney announced to the team after practice that starting cornerback Chris Chancellor would wear number-six at this weekend’s game instead of his regular number 38. “Chris came to me today and asked if he could wear number-six in honor of Jasper Howard, the UCONN player who was tragically killed over the weekend. He was on the same high school team with Chris in Miami. I granted that request.”

“I thought it would be a good way to honor Jasper,” said Chancellor, who played with Howard at Miami Edison Senior High School in 2003 and 2004. “I talked with a lot of former teammates and out high school coach last night. It was a very sad situation.”

http://www.thetigernet.com/view/story.do?id=8147

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Card Magnet said:
Nice gesture. Glad to see it's allowed too. If this were the NFL, he'd be fined.

He wouldn't even be allowed to. Steeler safety Ryan Clark tried to change his number after his former 'Skin teammate Sean Taylor got murdered, his request was denied by the NFL.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
mstng99tim said:
Card Magnet said:
Nice gesture. Glad to see it's allowed too. If this were the NFL, he'd be fined.

He wouldn't even be allowed to. Steeler safety Ryan Clark tried to change his number after his former 'Skin teammate Sean Taylor got murdered, his request was denied by the NFL.
I remember when Jake Plummer was fined for soemthing he was wearing for Pat Tillman. I believe Portis also got a fine for something he wore in honor of Sean Taylor (a shirt under his jersey I believe).

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
That is why the NFL is ridiculous. Clemson players have also been alternating the number 17 since a former player had to give up football because of his Epilepsy. He is now a student coach, but they are doing it all season.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Brad said:
That is why the NFL is ridiculous. Clemson players have also been alternating the number 17 since a former player had to give up football because of his Epilepsy. He is now a student coach, but they are doing it all season.

That's awesome, the NFL can definitely learn a few things from the college kids.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
mstng99tim said:
Brad said:

That's awesome, the NFL can definitely learn a few things from the college kids.

It is pretty cool to see. So far 6 people have done it, 2 defensive teammates, 3 former high school teamates and an offensive player from his class. Our back up RB Jamie Harper will be wearing it this week. He is in the same class as Stanley Hunter so hopefully he scores or does something good. When a defensive player has worn it, they have gotten an INT that game.

Members online