Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Been picking up some prospect stuff. Need expert help & info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biggmack2001

Aug 9, 2008
Cleveland NY
Hello all
I am in no way a prospector as I am mostly into HOF stuff but I was able to trade for a Bowman Chrome RC Auto Superfractor recently and I have to admit it has me looking for some cheap deals on the Bay in hopes that a player makes the bigs one day. My question is how do you decide who to pick up or is it all a crap shoot and I also wanted peoples opinions on what i have gotten recently and if you know anything about the players an opinions and ifo is greatly appreciated.
Traded for this and it got me hooked. Have the gold and all the other versions incoming besides the red.
AdamsRyan.jpg
AdamsRyan1.jpg
$23.00 DLVD
AdamsRyan50.jpg
$25.99 Buy It Now on Ebay as well as the Orange Refractor below it and $54.97 DLVD for the 2
BachanovJonathan.jpg
BachanovJonathan1.jpg
BachanovJonathan3.jpg
BachanovJonathan4.jpg
This and the Romero were approx $10.00 DLVD from Ebay
BristowJustin.jpg

RomeroDeibinson.jpg

Traded for this
SawatskiJay.jpg

Pulled these 2
CCF10162009_00019.jpg
CCF10162009_00020.jpg
These are all my incoming. Traded for the Ryan Adams and the rest were pretty cheap buy it nows on the Bay.
5.jpg

26.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

AdamsRyan25.jpg

AdamsRyan150.jpg

AdamsRyan225.jpg

AdamsRyan500-1.jpg

AdamsRyan1000.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I've been prospecting pretty seriously for about two years and have so far done very well.

Picking a player is not random in any way. You have to look at a number of different things: stats, age, potential, hype, card prices now and potential future values, and what team's organization they are in to name a few. Considering all these things, the idea is to pick someone who you think has the best chance to see card value increases at some point in the future (i.e., creating a sell point for you to move the stuff you're buying right now).

It's a simple concept: buy low, wait for prices to increase, and sell for a profit. The actual thinking behind it is much more intricate and takes time and research.

One player I will talk about is Rick Porcello. He was my biggest investment because he had cards that I thought could see sizable increases if he panned out the way he was supposed to. Guess what...Porcello had a great season in the Majors this year and I sold a lot of the cards I had bought before the season for BIG profits.

Prospecting is not an exact science. There are no firm rules because crazy things happen in baseball and crazy things happen on eBay. There are guidelines that most of the successful prospectors know and understand, but the bottom line is that you can make money off of ANY player if someone out there decides that they all of a sudden want to collect cards of Ole Sheldon (one of my first prospecting experiences that worked out for me in the end :lol: ).

In regard to your question about the stuff you have bought recently, I do not know much about any of those guys. One thing I personally do is stay away from printing plates. They seem to be one of the most unpredictable 'cards' available, and as a prospector, I'd like to rule out as much unpredictability as possible.

Here's a link to a thread I posted over the summer summarizing a lot of my experiences and talking about what I learned and some general prospecting guidelines and such. It's an extremely long read, but the feedback I got from most people who took the time to read it was pretty positive: http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47168&hilit=prospecting:+my+experience

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I've been prospecting pretty seriously for about two years and have so far done very well.

You have to look at a number of different things: stats, age, potential, hype, card prices now and potential future values, and what team's organization they are in to name a few.

It's a simple concept: buy low, wait for prices to increase, and sell for a profit. .

These are about the 2 most important things.

dont hold a card to try and make an extra $20 and end up losing money....if you can double your profit, do it. Dont hold on for life.

Another thing I always looked at, was where guys fit into their organization.

Some guys you know will never play because theyve got Pujols to compete with, or A-Rod, Jeter, Mauer, etc.

Also, look for guys in the later rounds. Nick Adenhart was drafted in the 14th round.

I made a HUGE profit off Micah Owings, and he was a 3rd rounder.

biggmack2001

Aug 9, 2008
Cleveland NY
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Picking a player is not random in any way. You have to look at a number of different things: stats, age, potential, hype, card prices now and potential future values, and what team's organization they are in to name a few. Considering all these things, the idea is to pick someone who you think has the best chance to see card value increases at some point in the future (i.e., creating a sell point for you to move the stuff you're buying right now).

It's a simple concept: buy low, wait for prices to increase, and sell for a profit. The actual thinking behind it is much more intricate and takes time and research.

One player I will talk about is Rick Porcello. He was my biggest investment because he had cards that I thought could see sizable increases if he panned out the way he was supposed to. Guess what...Porcello had a great season in the Majors this year and I sold a lot of the cards I had bought before the season for BIG profits.

Prospecting is not an exact science. There are no firm rules because crazy things happen in baseball and crazy things happen on eBay. There are guidelines that most of the successful prospectors know and understand, but the bottom line is that you can make money off of ANY player if someone out there decides that they all of a sudden want to collect cards of Ole Sheldon (one of my first prospecting experiences that worked out for me in the end :lol: ).

In regard to your question about the stuff you have bought recently, I do not know much about any of those guys. One thing I personally do is stay away from printing plates. They seem to be one of the most unpredictable 'cards' available, and as a prospector, I'd like to rule out as much unpredictability as possible.

Here's a link to a thread I posted over the summer summarizing a lot of my experiences and talking about what I learned and some general prospecting guidelines and such. It's an extremely long read, but the feedback I got from most people who took the time to read it was pretty positive: http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47168&hilit=prospecting:+my+experience
Thanks so much for the info. the only reason and I reapeat only reason I got the plate was because it was $25.99 Buy it now. If Cachanov makes the Majors I can make a nice profit on it and I have read some good things about him.
AJ

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
HPC said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

You have to look at a number of different things: stats, age, potential, hype, card prices now and potential future values, and what team's organization they are in to name a few.

It's a simple concept: buy low, wait for prices to increase, and sell for a profit. .

These are about the 2 most important things.

dont hold a card to try and make an extra $20 and end up losing money....if you can double your profit, do it. Dont hold on for life.

Another thing I always looked at, was where guys fit into their organization.

Some guys you know will never play because theyve got Pujols to compete with, or A-Rod, Jeter, Mauer, etc.

Also, look for guys in the later rounds. Nick Adenhart was drafted in the 14th round.

I made a HUGE profit off Micah Owings, and he was a 3rd rounder.

i agree on later rounders, but Adenhart isn't a great example because he was a $1 million guy along with being the the top high school pitcher in the draft until he got hurt playing shortstop in his high school playoffs.....

There are plenty of excellent investments out there. Just do your homework, have a reason you buy the guys you are buying, and you should be okay.

skrip

Jul 30, 2009
Many times I go for stuff that is "dead" BUT only when its a good idea.

For example: I was buying Howie Kendrick cards by the boat load before anyone even knew he was a Baseball Player because he hit at every level, was cheap cheap cheap and had a couple of rookies (no Bowman Chrome or autos either).

I also TRIED to buy as many 2005 Topps Total Dan Uggla cards. "Tried" because I could rarely ever find them. The ones I did find cost me a quarter each or less and Total is his best and only true rookie. I figured for a $1 investment for 5 or 7 cards, this guy mashed in the minors yet was "old" and didnt have a "premium" rookie so investors stayed away.

I think I made the market on Tyler Clippard rookies. I bought maybe 50 of his Topps Heritage rookies at no more than 75 cents each (many of those for about a quarter each) because he was a Yankee who was ptching well for a few seasons and, again, didnt have a "premium" or auto rookie so many investors steered clear (or didnt even knoew he had a card).
When he got hot, most of them were sold for $5-$15 each and afew for more than that.

Cant say Ryan Howard was ever "dead" but there was a span for a couple of years when his rookies and autos were basically worthless because "he would never play because he's stuck behind Thome". Well look at his numbers in the minors and you would see how he HAD to play on some MLB team. I probably made my most money EVER on him.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I also prospect. (duh!, right?)

The biggest rule I can give you is to SELL WHEN PROFIT IS ACCEPTABLE and DO NOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT RYAN BRAUN.

More often than not you'll be disappointed.

Members online