Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Only Two Draft Products This Year -- Good or Bad?

Is This a Good Thing?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
What are everyone's thoughts on Topps being the only manufacturer of draft products this year -- are you and your wallet happy about this, or do you feel slighted?

While considering this, keep in mind that the following ten first rounders are not scheduled to be included in either Topps product this year, at least at this time:

Strasburg
Ackley
Turner
Crow
Green
Miller
Gibson
Franklin
Heathcott
Jackson

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
We have BDP and ? USA? If Strasburg and Ackley are not in a single prospect product someone missed out on something huge. You can base an entire product around Strasburg and it would sell

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Do you think that Topps might be holding the players listed above so if (when) they get the MiLB license they have top players to put in it that don't have any major cards yet?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
mredsox89 said:
We have BDP and ? USA? If Strasburg and Ackley are not in a single prospect product someone missed out on something huge. You can base an entire product around Strasburg and it would sell

I was referring to BDP and Sterling.

USA, while considered a prospect product, does not contain the current year's crop of draft picks.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Jaypers said:
mredsox89 said:

I was referring to BDP and Sterling.

USA, while considered a prospect product, does not contain the current year's crop of draft picks.

Right, Sterling ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: . I think there could be a problem if Topps is the only player in the prospect market, because if people want to prospect, they have to go to Topps, causing Topps willingness to make a great product go down

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers could probably confirm, but my understanding with Ackley and Strasburg (and all other Boras clients), is that they've not even signed with Topps yet and Boras was making things difficult.

Don't forget that for Topps, they sign players to individual contracts

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Sly said:
Jaypers could probably confirm, but my understanding with Ackley and Strasburg (and all other Boras clients), is that they've not even signed with Topps yet and Boras was making things difficult.

Don't forget that for Topps, they sign players to individual contracts

All but one. Tate recently signed with them, and will have an AFLAC autograph in BDP.

Perhaps a sign of things to come.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but as a collector and not a prospector, I like it. I couldn't care less if Strasburg (or anyone else) has licensed cards this year. The point is...he'll have first-year licensed cards at some point and that's when I hope to buy one (whether he's in the bigs or still in the minors). I treated Wieters' cards the same way (didn't get one until this year).

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I would think Topps is going to hold off the Strasburg cards, and if he makes the team, they get to put his Rookie Cards (by any definition) in everything. With no one to step in for 2009, it's a smart business move.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I like the fewer products, but I wish the checklists were a little better. I'd have to go back over the checklists again, but I don't think any of my favorite "sleepers" are in either product.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
As a holder of USA autos, part of me = fine with that

Competition obviously is good but not when the other alternatives are ones that don't succeed months later in secondary market. Almost as if competition did more harm than good

Latest posts