Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My latest custom

Thoughts

• I liked the original cards better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Two cards were actually used to make this one. I think labor and all my total cost is about $230

I will show the back when done, but basically it will talk about his 1957 awards -

1957 (BIG LETTERS AND CENTERED)

Stan Musial was awarded the "Lou Gehrig Memorial Award" to honor him.
It is given to players who best exemplify their character and integrity both on and off the field.

Stan Musial was awarded the Sports Illustrated "Sportsman of the Year"
award for the athlete whose performance that year most embodies
the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement."

musial1957.jpg

musialoriginal.jpg

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I think your custom looks a lot better than the two originals. Just wish there were some other cards to use that weren't so low numbered.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Sooooo, you actually destroyed the 2 cards already?

200lbhockeyplayer (the artist) could probably show evidence ;)

Yikes, I voted "like the looks of the original 2 better."

Heroes is a very cool set and IMO better than the custom and while I've never been a huge fan of the Sterlings, I don't think the custom is an upgrade. Also, I really don't like the thought of ruining those 2 cards.

But I'm glad you like it.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
For a custom made card, I think the topps sticker does not look good at all. Should have used a cut auto IMO.

Your card really looks nice though~!

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
Reds in 2009 said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Also, I really don't like the thought of ruining those 2 cards.

I feel the same way.

Honestly it sickens me. 200lb does a great job, I just wish hofautos could find another way of building them without ruining nice cards. Its his money though, he can do what he wants.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'll chime in here with a clear bias.

First and foremost, I have no problem cutting up any card that contains other pieces that someone else destroyed. Be it a jersey, a bat, etc...I see nothing wrong with simply reworking things into what some people believe is a cooler card. I've done it with my own, and I obviously done it for others. Now, there are things I won't do. I won't cut up vintage cards to pull a signature, I don't cut up signed books, etc...

Now, on to the Musial. One thing that bothered me about the Sterling card (of which I prefer the design over the long played out Heroes) with the poor top-to-bottom build with the Topps made metal die-cut. Basically, it was clearly off, so I never viewed that card as a "perfect" card to begin with. I also don't believe in manufactured short-prints simply due to numbering or slight differences in a card.

Oh, and while stating the obvious, I like the custom better.

scottagibson

Aug 3, 2009
Beautiful card! If i would have done anything different, I think i would have used a cut signature of a 1999 Sports Illustrated Auto issue, they have been moving for about $40-50 over the past few months. BUT it definitely looks great as is and I think Topps should make a move to hire 200lbhockeyplayer!!

Scott

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
It would look better if the bottom blue portion was white(same texture look, so not a flat white) with Cardinals Red lettering shadowed by gray.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
My perspective is that GU without an auto rarely does ANYTHING for me, unless it is a jumbo or multiple with lots of color breaks...although there are a few exceptions. But definetely not in this case, and I don't care at all for the heroes...it kind of looks like a rip-off of topps 59.... It looks like a modern card trying to look vintage and looks kiddish to me. I usually am a big fan of sterling, but I don't like shiny stickers, and the original had 2 cream jerseys and a bat...very boring. The picture was small, and apparently no one else liked it much either since it was a musial #/10 and was under $70.

I don't think there is even ANY comparison in the design of the custom to the other 2...the custom is GREAT, and the other 2 did absolutely nothing for me, although the heroes patch was nice. Even the patch on the heroes showed more gray and less color than actually existed. It was 1000% improvement IMHO.

I did make over $600 on one custom I sold (a Ted Williams), so the way I look at it, is 3 of these customs were FREE already ;)

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
steve-a-reno said:
[quote="Reds in 2009":22tlh5mz]
Adamsince1981 said:
Also, I really don't like the thought of ruining those 2 cards.

I feel the same way.

Honestly it sickens me. 200lb does a great job, I just wish hofautos could find another way of building them without ruining nice cards. Its his money though, he can do what he wants.[/quote:22tlh5mz]

If I want GU patch autos, the only other way besides ripping a card would be buying a full GU jersey...not sure what a GU jersey of musial would be, but unless I am making a million of them, it wouldn't be cost effective. :?

As far as "ruining nice cards", I consider it "upgrading", as I rarely am impressed with designs offered by card manufacturers...not never, but rarely in comparison to how much stuff is put out...

a $150 envelope and this
tedpatch2.jpg

allowed me to sell this for $1100, and to be honest, I think this $1100 card looks twice as good as ones that sell for nearly double that.
ted_front_a_z-1.jpg

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
It would look better if the bottom blue portion was white(same texture look, so not a flat white) with Cardinals Red lettering shadowed by gray.

How do you feel about this suggestion?

- the blue isn't St. Louis Cardinals Navy Blue
- clashes with the blue part of the patch
- darkens the card

I don't think your custom would go for what you paid for the Sterling. But I'd love to see a scan of the Ted Williams custom.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
Adamsince1981 said:

How do you feel about this suggestion?

- the blue isn't St. Louis Cardinals Navy Blue
- clashes with the blue part of the patch
- darkens the card

I am happy with the current look. I would have to see it a different way to see which I liked better, but as has been seen with many polls and suggestions, every one has their "own ideas" (grin). Even in this poll, 13 like the custom better to the 7 who prefer the original cards).

Anyway, for those that don't like to see me "ruin" cards, I think that is about it for me until I can muster up the $ for a CY young.
I now have cards for all hofers that have MAJOR historical numbers, and that was the purpose of the project anyway....or am i missing any?

ripken - consecutive games
bonds - career hr and season hr
nolan ryan - strikeouts
pete rose - career hits
rickey - sb record
dimaggio - hit streak
aaron - true hr record
ichiro - single season hits
cobb - career avg
ted williams - 406 avg
cy young - career wins (tba)
Ruth - career slugging

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
hofautos said:
aaron - true hr record

You know what else you can add to Aaron?
Most career RBI's.

I don't know why it's so often ignored or unknown. It seems like a real thing to me, but you never hear anyone mention it.

Top 10 Career RBI's:
1 Hank Aaron 2,297
2 Babe Ruth 2,213
3 Barry Bonds 1,996
4 Lou Gehrig 1,995
5 Stan Musial 1,951
6 Ty Cobb 1,937
7 Jimmie Foxx 1,922
8 Eddie Murray 1,917
9 Willie Mays 1,903
10Cap Anson 1,879

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
mredsox89 said:
I think your custom looks a lot better than the two originals. Just wish there were some other cards to use that weren't so low numbered.
I kind of agree. But at the same time, if you bought these for PC, then they would be yours and all we'd see is a scan if anything, so why not make them into something you like more?

Great job on the custom.

Members online

Latest posts