Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What Do They Use to Get Balls Game Ready? Find Out Here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Mike Rowe, from Discovery's Dirty Jobs, did a peice on this I think last season. He accompanied the guy on the mud run through everything til it gets to the teams.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
The first thing I do to get them ready for "game time" is wash them.

Sorry but I had to write something.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
When I was a batboy in AAA back in 1987, the umps would mud six dozen balls before each game. Two thirds of the time, it was enough. Occasionally, I would have to get the key from the ump and go to their locker room to get a few more dozen balls, and the can of mud. We would sit right outside the dugout, mudding the balls which would go into play. It was great, because we got to keep the balls we didn't mud. Sometimes, it was a dozen or two. I have plenty of autographs from back then on official International League balls, including Gregg Jefferies, Calvin Shiraldi, Dwight Gooden, Gary Carter (actually on an American Association ball), and Tom Seaver.

We would use one can for the entire season, and it was never even half gone before the season was over. A little mud goes a long way on pearl white baseballs.

David

Members online