Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A-Rod Signing Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

righteousmike

Aug 24, 2008
Arlen, TX
hey guys, so I just paid for my ticket for the upcoming Arod signing in November. Gonna bring a 94 SP to get signed with two inscriptions, "500 HR Club" and "MLB Debut 07-08-94". Should I pick up a regular SP or the die-cut. And is there any type of marker/pen that looks better on this card?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Honestly...for the money you are going to have to spend to get the auto...why not go with a full size bat or at the very least a ball?

Besides...if you use a marker on one of those...I am pretty sure it will sponge up and look fugly. Trust me.I am sure there is some sort of pen you can use but if it were me...I'd just go with a bat or a ball.There is more room to sign, its cheaper to obtain, and on top of all of that...it will display better than a signed card.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
righteousmike said:
hey guys, so I just paid for my ticket for the upcoming Arod signing in November. Gonna bring a 94 SP to get signed with two inscriptions, "500 HR Club" and "MLB Debut 07-08-94". Should I pick up a regular SP or the die-cut. And is there any type of marker/pen that looks better on this card?

+1, I live near you and would love to go!

righteousmike

Aug 24, 2008
Arlen, TX
I live in deer park, well I collect rookie card autos, and trying to put together a set of my own for my PC so hence the card. I don't mean marker, more or less a thin tip maker mayber or paint pen fine tip something like that

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
righteousmike said:
I live in deer park, well I collect rookie card autos, and trying to put together a set of my own for my PC so hence the card. I don't mean marker, more or less a thin tip maker mayber or paint pen fine tip something like that

I do too... I found the info. Signing for Steiner, $250/clip. Trying to decide if it's worth it to drop $500 on an Arod SP and SP Die Cut Auto plus the money it would cost to get slabbed.

just go with a thin tip blue sharpie. I wouldn't do 2 inscriptions. it's gonna look squished. go with the 500 Hr inscription. The auto will not run with a blue sharpie on the 94 sp. The rookies have a foil type surface. you should have no problems. Go with the 94 SP. A bat and ball is generic. You can find those anyway. An authentic 94 sp auto can be a task. Go with your gut and get the card done.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Use nothing other than a Staedler. I'd say probably a black one would look best, probably the thicker one. Here is an idea. Get both Staedlers styles and sign a bunch of common foil rookies from 94 SP to see what you like best. Every company uses Staedler for signings, use nothing less. I'd bet even that Steiner will have them there, but take no chances for that money.

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
def get a 94 sp over a bat or ball, I would also go with one inscription, i was thinking 500 hr but on a 94 card maybe the debut, i would go staedler for sure, practice in blue and black to test....

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
1995BBRefractorGuy said:
def get a 94 sp over a bat or ball, I would also go with one inscription, i was thinking 500 hr but on a 94 card maybe the debut, i would go staedler for sure, practice in blue and black to test....

I guess I'm clueless - what's a Staedler? I always went the thin-tip Sharpie route on cards, is there that much of a difference?

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Get couple of common 94 SP rookies and test it yourself. Sign your name, add an inscription, let it set for a minute then give it the rub test. Use different pens, and see for yourself what works best. I have done that several times when testing card surfaces for how they hold different inks/gold/silver pens, etc. Ultra Fine Sharpies have a fragile point, Extra Fine Sharpies have a plastic cone tip. Usually you have to buy them by the box at an Office Depot-type place, but maybe another place will have singles available. Michael's or a scrapbooking supply store may have a few pens for you to try too. Staedler is a brand of pen. Schwan-Stabilo is another that you may find in art supply stores. Live near a college? Maybe check their bookstore, too.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Big Mac McGwire said:
just go with a thin tip blue sharpie. I wouldn't do 2 inscriptions. it's gonna look squished. go with the 500 Hr inscription. The auto will not run with a blue sharpie on the 94 sp. The rookies have a foil type surface. you should have no problems. Go with the 94 SP. A bat and ball is generic. You can find those anyway. An authentic 94 sp auto can be a task. Go with your gut and get the card done.

Have you ever tried a lumocolor before?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I understand now why you want to go with a Rookie card and its a good reason.Just bear in mind no matter what kind of pen or marker you use...any foil surface card will smudge easily for at least a little while after the card gets signed.So if you can get the card home safely and not smudge it...then have at it.I am just too much of a coward and that's why I do bats and balls.After about 3 minutes I am good to go.I put the ball back in the cube or an old tube sock back of the bat barrel.

As others have said...Stadler will probably work best.Avoid paint pens when and if you can.I have had a few items signed with them and they still will smear if you rub on them.They never really dry all the way IMO.Maybe its just the type of item you get signed that matters but IMO...they are a no go.

Skillz

Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't get the card signed but if you really must... get the card in, smother the front of it in baby powder, wipe all of it off completely. Use either a thin blue Staedtler lumocolor or a thick blue sharpie. Also don't get 500 HR, he will get many more than 500 HR. I would do the MLB Debut or none at all, it's not like they're cheap at $75 an inscription. Good luck and make sure to take pictures with him and of him signing the card!

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
Use a staedtler permanent lumocolor pen,It drys immediately and wont even bubble on bowman chrome cards(unless you use the color green)I just signed an upperdeck star rookie foil card to see if it would fade and it didnt.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
vwnut13 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

Have you ever tried a lumocolor before?

I've used both lumocolor and sharpies before, and honestly, I don't quite understand why people are so enamored with lumocolors. On chrome and other high gloss cards, it makes a difference. But on non-glossy cards, I can barely tell any difference.

righteousmike

Aug 24, 2008
Arlen, TX
Re: A-Rod Signing Inscription Opinions Wanted!

thenumberonemetfan said:
Use a staedtler permanent lumocolor pen,It drys immediately and wont even bubble on bowman chrome cards(unless you use the color green)I just signed an upperdeck star rookie foil card to see if it would fade and it didnt.
Thanks, gonna have to just track a Staedtler down someplace.

Does anybody have any other Suggestions for an Inscription?
Someone brought up that he'll have more than 500 HRs soon, maybe by next year, so thinking of scrapping that idea for one.
Definitely gonna keep the MLB Debut inscription. What would you guys put on it another stat, nickname, etc.???????

Members online

Latest posts