Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No Hawaii Trade Conference Next Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
“With the economy and other factors, a conference in 2010 wouldn’t lend itself to the success and high-quality meetings that dealers, distributors, league representatives, player associations and manufacturers have come to expect from the Hawaii Trade Conference,”

I would think it's pretty hard to have high quality discussions when most of the major leagues have been granting exclusives, presumably hurting the revenue for both the player associations and manufacturers.

Jul 30, 2009
I went from 2002-2008 and had a blast every year.

At the time, it was a good idea to bring it mainland in 2007 but for those who went when it was in Hawaii, it wasnt the same.

The last year in Hawaii was a big time downturn for sure. It went from catered dinner affairs to taco and beans (not kidding) although I can honestly say that the companies that held seminars and round tables never skimped on the goodies they gave out.

Even the last one I went to in Arizona in 2008 was well done, from the food to the give a ways but the writting was on the wall.

I think there is a need for this type of conference for sure. Theres nothing else like it. Ive spoken to several people who used to go to the conferences, many long timers at that, who stopped going when it was hosted in the mainland soley because it wasnt in Hawaii.

If it gets going again, I think it NEEDS to be back in Hawaii but that might be asking for too much today with the lack of licensed companies and available money.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
011873 said:
I went from 2002-2008 and had a blast every year.

At the time, it was a good idea to bring it mainland in 2007 but for those who went when it was in Hawaii, it wasnt the same.

The last year in Hawaii was a big time downturn for sure. It went from catered dinner affairs to taco and beans (not kidding) although I can honestly say that the companies that held seminars and round tables never skimped on the goodies they gave out.

Even the last one I went to in Arizona in 2008 was well done, from the food to the give a ways but the writting was on the wall.

I think there is a need for this type of conference for sure. Theres nothing else like it. Ive spoken to several people who used to go to the conferences, many long timers at that, who stopped going when it was hosted in the mainland soley because it wasnt in Hawaii.

If it gets going again, I think it NEEDS to be back in Hawaii but that might be asking for too much today with the lack of licensed companies and available money.

I think especially right now having something in Hawaii is a terrible idea. It becomes a fortune for anyone not in Hawaii to get there. When times are good, i think its a great place to have this conference. But the average to + collector will not be able to get to Hawaii the same as getting to Cleveland, NY, LA, Florida, etc.

Jul 30, 2009
Like I wrote, if it does start up again sometime, it should be back in Hawaii. Now would not be a good time for that at all.

But what many many people dont know is that even when it was there, it was very possible (and many times likely) to make back all, most of your money and even make a profit with the goodies handed out.

Yes luck did play a part of it. At one of UD's round tables in 2006, they handed out a pack exclusive to the conference. I got a Ripken auto, my Wife got a Griffey auto, my friend (right behind us) got a Jeter auto and the guy next to him got "Joe Blow" auto.

Anyone who pulled a Jordan or Lebron auto basically had most of the trip paid for on the spot by any of the dealers looking to buy these cards there.

Members online

Latest posts