Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Goudey Buyback quality condition - 1934-style!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, I'll be honest, I've pulled a few "buybacks" in various Upper Deck products over the years and was also happy to pull them, but never received much on the quality side from the condition.

Well, some of you know that I collect Dick Porter (and old friend of my dad's and grandfather) so when 2009 Goudey was going to be inserting original 1934 Goudeys, I was pretty excited to hopefully get a chance to pick up a Dick Porter for fun.

Finally one was hit (perhaps the only one inserted), landed on eBay and looked to be in decent condition. Of course, regardless of condition, I was going to win it and was willing to overbid just for the knowledge that it was a buyback. The auction ended at under $15 with shipping and received it today.

porter-buyback.jpg

Suffice to say, for 1934 Goudeys (an issue that most people assume had rounded corners due to common corner rounding) this card is amazing. Now granted, I have roughly 60 of these cards, but few nicer than this one...and it was one of the most inexpensive.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Gorgeous looking card. Great pickup!

I don't see any indication on the card that it's a buyback. Was there a COA or something like that, or was the card just inserted by itself?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The card has the standard/generic buyback insert inside of the penny sleeve, but I chose not to scan it in.

There are no after-market differences on the card itself.

And thanks for the comments.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
That is by far the best goudey buyback I have ever seen, the eight that i've pulled have all had creases in them or have severely rounded corners, none would have graded higher than a 3. Congrats on a great pick up.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
brouthercard said:
That is by far the best goudey buyback I have ever seen, the eight that i've pulled have all had creases in them or have severely rounded corners, none would have graded higher than a 3. Congrats on a great pick up.
That was the shocking part.

I was (and am still) blown away by the quality of this.

Now granted, the 1934 set isn't as collectible as the 1933, but even the commons (like Porter) that are slabbed in decent condition sell decently.

Latest posts