Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Contemplating a project... need opinions from everyone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
We all have Want/Need lists. Doesn't matter what kind of collector you are - prospectors, set, player, high-end, gu, whatever. And we all have cards that are so rare that they hardly, if ever, show up on ebay or elsewhere online.

From personal experience, my white whale was sitting in a dealers bank vault up in Wisconsin in June. If a friend of mine (jpcz) hadn't contacted that dealer at random inquiring about cards for our sets, my white whale could possibly be still sitting in that vault.

So my question is... is there a real need for a "want list" sheet that could be distributed to dealers across the country and internet? If there is a card you are currently in the hunt for, does it kill you as much as it kills me to wait and wait for it to be listed on ebay or naxcom or wherever? Or to stumble across it by pure chance?

Let me know your thoughts on such a thing. Does something exist along these lines that I'm not aware of? I've got some ideas but wanted to open it up to you guys to get some input. Thanks for the read.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I think that once the word gets out that you're after particular players, it becomes a bit easier.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
theplasticman said:
I think that once the word gets out that you're after particular players, it becomes a bit easier.

Not sure what you mean... on FCB or other message boards?

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
theplasticman said:

I think that's true to a certain extent. I've received quite a bit of help with my Jack Wilson collection from very generous board members. However, I think when dealing with player collections of non-stars that don't currently have cards coming out, it becomes much more difficult. I'm sure many of the rare Lou Collier and Warren Morris parallels I need were tossed in a box and forgotten from the day they were pulled.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
So, how would you go about looking for Lou Collier and Warren Morris parallels if no one on FCB, Beckett, The Bench, Cardboard Village, any of these boards, has them? Do you just sit and wait for ebay to list? Isn't that about the only choice we have for certain cards?

There are so many card shops/dealers across the country and world that I'm certain have cards stored that were never going to be listed on ebay. Wouldn't putting a picture of a card you are looking for on a piece of paper and giving it to these dealers increase your chances of one of them having the card you're looking for?

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Pete14Rose said:
It would certainly involve a ton of time, but I think it is an incredible idea. :D

LOL It has the potential to, that's for sure!

Phishmon23

Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA
I actually had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day discussing your exact idea! I think it would be awesome if there were somewhere where collectors could publish their top wants and it could be distributed to deals all across the country/world!

-J

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I think, with enough publicity, a whole bunch of collectors could post their white whales on one big website that is open to the public or whatever. Something like http://www.whitewhalesMIA.com or something like that.
Again, it would take a LOT of advertising/word spreading about said site, but I think it would be worth the time.
Just a thought.

Anthony

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
It could be setup like that of the old western day's when the "lawdog's" were looking for certain criminal's, they'd wire a "Wanted" poster to all of the surrounding communitie's "lawdogs"! The only thing is that buyer's generally aren't willing to put thier offering prices down on the wantlist (which I think would help immensely to motivate the dealer's & other collector's to want to look for those specific item's in thier inventory's, especially the common type player's since the buyer would most likely be offering above the "common" price for the person whom has the item to sell) because they are hoping to get it for the cheapest price possible; which isn't a bad thing by any means but if they were willing to not be cheap on the stuff they really were looking for, I'm sure more dealer's would be willing to take the extra minute of thier time to look for it! Good idea but you've gotta be committed! :D

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the input guys. Some great points ot consider. Keep it coming and I'll check in later.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If it went out like a newsletter email at first, it might even be a way to generate a little ad revenue for whoever does it.

One caveat- it would be pointless to send a list like this to Burbank :)

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it's a great idea too! Most of my white whale want list are cards that are #1/1 though... I always wonder if a kid has it in a box somewhere, or maybe it's still in the pack on the shelf at the store. I have quite a few sets where I just need one little 1/1 to complete a giant set. killin' me.

Seems like you could do it pretty easily electronically with the OPG. Just have a section for wants, click the card and move it to your want list...

Latest posts