Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cole Hamels is overrated, and making dumb comments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
In my opinion, this kid is VASTLY overrated. His fastball is down, his breaking all is marginal, and his FB/CH differential is out of whack. Along with being injury prone. With all of that being said, I am surprised to see his most recent comments.......

Cole Hamels is already looked at as a flake by many in this proudly blue-collar city, so he sure didn't win any fans when he told reporters after getting hit around in game three that "I can't wait for it to end."

What are you thoughts on Hamels?

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Cole Hamels is an overrated Mental Midget

I think he has a new baby, and it's more important to him than anything right now. I'm kinda the same way! When I read that comment by him, at first I was shocked, but when I figured it out it makes a lot of sense. Dude wants to go home and be with his family. Which sure sucks for Philly fans!!

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
Decent pitcher, could not care less what kind of comments he makes as long as he doesn't go John Rocker.

Athletes are often misquoted or certain things they say are taken out of context.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

RL24 said:
I think he has a new baby, and it's more important to him than anything right now. I'm kinda the same way! When I read that comment by him, at first I was shocked, but when I figured it out it makes a lot of sense. Dude wants to go home and be with his family. Which sure sucks for Philly fans!!

While I agree with some of what you are saying, he is making a TON of money to be focused on his job. He is in the FREAKING World Series. He might NEVER get their again. Is it asking that much to "be into the game" for 3-4 hours a day? I think it is pretty obvious by his performance and comments that he can't handle the situation he is in right now.

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida

ballerskrip said:
RL24 said:

While I agree with some of what you are saying, he is making a TON of money to be focused on his job. He is in the FREAKING World Series. He might NEVER get their again. Is it asking that much to "be into the game" for 3-4 hours a day? I think it is pretty obvious by his performance and comments that he can't handle the situation he is in right now.

Where was this quote from? Do you have a link?

Also, with travel, workouts, practice and the actual game ... it's way more than 3-4 hours but I agree. This is a dream job and should be taken seriously.

Still, would like to see the full quote.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

WaxHeaven said:
ballerskrip said:
RL24 said:

Where was this quote from? Do you have a link?

Also, with travel, workouts, practice and the actual game ... it's way more than 3-4 hours but I agree. This is a dream job and should be taken seriously.

Still, would like to see the full quote.

Cole Hamels is already looked at as a flake by many in this proudly blue-collar city, so he sure didn't win any fans when he told reporters after getting hit around in game three that "I can't wait for it to end." Not exactly what you want to hear from the guy who was last year's World Series MVP and -- now tentatively -- lined up to start game seven if the Series goes that far. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said he was surprised to hear Hamels' comments, and doesn't understand what his pitcher was trying to say. Mostly, Manuel says he sees a young, talented pitcher dealing with real adversity for the first time in his career.

Kansas City Star

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Sports often mean much more to fans than the athletes. Fans have grown up following a team and consider themselves part of the team. There are a lot of players that view baseball as just a job. They do not have any life vested interest in the team, aside from being paid. Fans may view this as absurd and pompous, but its the truth. Sure, there are players like Jeter who seem to care more about their team than anyone, but many players are just normal people, who go to work every day and go home that night.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
WaxHeaven said:
Not everyone is a robot like Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez.

Just ask Dontrelle and Khalil Greene.

You think A-rod is a robot? He gets criticized all the time for having "rabbit ears", and caring too much about what the fans think, etc.

I am not only commenting on his comments, also his performance this year, and decline from last year.

WaxHeaven

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
ballerskrip said:
WaxHeaven said:
Not everyone is a robot like Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez.

Just ask Dontrelle and Khalil Greene.

You think A-rod is a robot? He gets criticized all the time for having "rabbit ears", and caring too much about what the fans think, etc.

I am not only commenting on his comments, also his performance this year, and decline from last year.

I only meant in interviews, both of them come off as trained robots ... saying the same crap over and over again.

I don't disagree that Cole made a dumb comment but considering the stress h was under, I don't think it was horrible.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
mredsox89 said:
Sports often mean much more to fans than the athletes. Fans have grown up following a team and consider themselves part of the team. There are a lot of players that view baseball as just a job. They do not have any life vested interest in the team, aside from being paid. Fans may view this as absurd and pompous, but its the truth. Sure, there are players like Jeter, A-rod who care more about their team than anyone, but many players are just normal people, who go to work every day and go home that night.

I agree with you 100%. I know college is different but I had some teammates that played strictly because they had a scholarship. If they were offered a spot on the team but no $, they wouldn't have played.

But, this is the world series. How can you NOT want to be there? How can you not be ultra focused and doing everything in the world to win a title?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
He's not overrated. He's young and has been great when healthy, including in last year's postseason. He's been off most of this year, probably due in part to the huge number of innings he pitched last season. Also, he's been getting criticized and discounted all posteason, so nobody is saying an he's ace right now. He'll likely be back to his dominant self next year.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Nowhere did he say "I dont want to play baseball anymore, I hate being here, and wish I was doing something else"

...he said he wished it was over...probably because he wants to be with his family

It's a long season and to be fair, he probably isnt the only one on both teams who feels that way

Does it mean he isnt going to play his hardest? No.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Hitters figured out Cole Hamels this season. They realized although the change-up is a great pitch, its almost never a strike and he got absolutely murdered when he threw that garbage curve. Read something somewhere that he will be working on a cutter as well as further developing the curve. Also, he needs to mature a little bit and stop making those types of comments to the media. This next season will be when we know what hamels will be going forward. I heard comparisons to Verlander and Beckett. If you dont adjust, you will quickly turn into a "whateverhappenedto"

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
phillyfan0417 said:
Hitters figured out Cole Hamels this season. They realized although the change-up is a great pitch, its almost never a strike and he got absolutely murdered when he threw that garbage curve. Read something somewhere that he will be working on a cutter as well as further developing the curve. Also, he needs to mature a little bit and stop making those types of comments to the media. This next season will be when we know what hamels will be going forward. I heard comparisons to Verlander and Beckett. If you dont adjust, you will quickly turn into a "whateverhappenedto"

I think you made all great points. I think a cutter would do him wonders. He needs something else with more velocity. It seems his love for his change up has also had an effect on his fastball. A cutter might help him get some of his velocity back.

Members online

Latest posts