Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

98 Donruss Significant Signatures Series Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone gotten the complete auto set?

I picked up a Killebrew dirt cheap, and looking at the other cards in the set, I think it is amazing! All on card HOF autos!

My question is:

What is the difference between the sample cards, and regular ones?

I see a more "refractor" look to the samples, but, is that it?

(edit...it is the significant signatures series, not the base auto set)

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Re: 98 Donruss Signature Series Question

I remember a preview version also, I pulled a AJ Hinch and I think the card color might have had something to do with it also...Is the Preview version and sample one in the same?

:EDIT:..My La Koufax has a refractor look to it, The Brooklyn version doesnt...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Marro said:
I remember a preview version also, I pulled a AJ Hinch and I think the card color might have had something to do with it also...Is the Preview version and sample one in the same?

:EDIT:..My La Koufax has a refractor look to it, The Brooklyn version doesnt...

Yeah the refractor look is all I noticed...both versions are #/2000, but the picture is different too

There is a really good deal on a Koufax auto on eBay now, and I dont know what the difference really is :/

...oh, and I missed an eddie matthews by under a minute...it ended for 20 :x

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut

Marro said:

Wrong set, he's talking about the Significant Signatures Hall of Famer set as opposed to the base set with Green Millenium and Blue Century Parallels (as well as the yellow Previews).

I've always loved this set, both from 97 and 98, and the first HOF auto I ever got was a 97 Duke Snider Significant Sigs card. I think the Refractor-types were for some of the shorter printed cards (I believe the Koufax was a Refractor) but I could be wrong.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Randomly inserted in packs, this 18-card set features color photos with autographs of some of baseball's all-time great players. Only 2,000 of this sequentially-numbered set were produced. Sandy Koufax was on the original checklist but his cards were not returned in time for the pack out. Thus, officials at Donruss made the Billy Williams card an exchange card. Each collector that pulled a Billy Williams card could send it in to Donruss for a Koufax card. In addition, the signed Williams card was sent back too. Special exchange cards were created for Nolan Ryan and Ozzie Smith. The cards were randomly seeded into packs and then redeemed to Donruss for the real autograph cards. The exchange deadline for cards R1-R3 was December 31st, 1999. All three "R-Series" exchange cards (Ryan, Koufax and Smith) feature refractive, shiny fronts whereas the other cards seeded in packs are printed on basic foilboard. For pricing on these R1-R3 cards, please see the 1998 Donruss Signature Significant Signatures Refractors listing. At some point in time after the product's release, non-refractive versions of the Koufax (#'d of 2000), Ozzie (#'[d of 2000) and Ryan (#'d of 1000) cards made their way into the secondary market. Each card features a different card front image than the Refractor versions (most notably with Koufax wearing a Brooklyn cap). Representatives at Donruss-Playoff were unable to provide us with information on this matter given that the company was technically owned by Pinnacle in 1998 and then purchased out of bankruptcy in 2001 by the new Donruss-Playoff Corporation. The Catfish Hunter card was signed in either blue or blank ink. Only 1,000 serial #'d copies of Phil Rizzuto's card were produced.

See bold.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Philip J. Fry said:
Randomly inserted in packs, this 18-card set features color photos with autographs of some of baseball's all-time great players. Only 2,000 of this sequentially-numbered set were produced. Sandy Koufax was on the original checklist but his cards were not returned in time for the pack out. Thus, officials at Donruss made the Billy Williams card an exchange card. Each collector that pulled a Billy Williams card could send it in to Donruss for a Koufax card. In addition, the signed Williams card was sent back too. Special exchange cards were created for Nolan Ryan and Ozzie Smith. The cards were randomly seeded into packs and then redeemed to Donruss for the real autograph cards. The exchange deadline for cards R1-R3 was December 31st, 1999. All three "R-Series" exchange cards (Ryan, Koufax and Smith) feature refractive, shiny fronts whereas the other cards seeded in packs are printed on basic foilboard. For pricing on these R1-R3 cards, please see the 1998 Donruss Signature Significant Signatures Refractors listing. At some point in time after the product's release, non-refractive versions of the Koufax (#'d of 2000), Ozzie (#'[d of 2000) and Ryan (#'d of 1000) cards made their way into the secondary market. Each card features a different card front image than the Refractor versions (most notably with Koufax wearing a Brooklyn cap). Representatives at Donruss-Playoff were unable to provide us with information on this matter given that the company was technically owned by Pinnacle in 1998 and then purchased out of bankruptcy in 2001 by the new Donruss-Playoff Corporation. The Catfish Hunter card was signed in either blue or blank ink. Only 1,000 serial #'d copies of Phil Rizzuto's card were produced.

See bold.

Wow

So no one knows how many of the non-refractor versions were released?

Very interesting!

Thanks for the info!! :mrgreen:

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey

JEA2880 said:
Marro said:

Wrong set, he's talking about the Significant Signatures Hall of Famer set as opposed to the base set with Green Millenium and Blue Century Parallels (as well as the yellow Previews).

I've always loved this set, both from 97 and 98, and the first HOF auto I ever got was a 97 Duke Snider Significant Sigs card. I think the Refractor-types were for some of the shorter printed cards (I believe the Koufax was a Refractor) but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I noticed after he edited it...The Brooklyn of Koufax version was a backdoored and or replacement for Billy Williams I think...The La version was in series two and is a refractor....