Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

$10,000 turned down for a Griffey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
For anyone who wasnt collecting over a decade ago, heres a story for you.

1997 Marked the first time a non plate 1/1 was inserted into packs. That product was Showcase.

A seventeen year old kid from Alaska found a Griffey Masterpiece 1/1 and back then it wasnt auto or game used or patch, just a reg card.

The report goes that he turned down ten grand for the card stating that he'll never see another one again.

Imagine turning down that money. Does anyone, especially the crazy Griffey fans, know whatever happened to that card?

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
I remember hearing that story. There were 3 different 1/1s in that set, 3 variations of the same card. Some have sold over the last couple of years, but not anywhere near $10,000.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
I heard the story also, Pulled two 1 of 1's back in 98 a Kerry Wood and Ripken...Sold the Ripken at a show for 4500 and the dealer thought he took me for a ride...Traded the Wood for 3000bv...But I remember ad's for people paying 15k-20k for Jordan 1 of 1's...Inserts #/50 and #/25 also booked for a couple hundred each of stars...I always look at it this way, If I pull a super high end card and sell it for a lot and the person sells it for a profit..I still made a lot more than them in profit and thats what matters...

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
I recall the story when it actually happened. It wasn't a plate. It was for the 1/1 Masterpiece from Showcase. There were 3, 1 for each level. A collector had 2 and a kid in Alaska has the 3rd. The collector did offer $10k, which was declined. The collector then offered $20k, which was also declined. The kid said he knew what the card was worth and that oneday he would put himself through college, buy a new car and a new house off of that 1 card.

Wonder how that worked out for him. ::facepalm::

ElToroloco

Oct 30, 2009
Very few cards these days can reach those heights, besides rare cut autos, I think only key Pristine Exquisite cards and key Pristine Rookie autos will ever reach 10K.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
I swear I remember seeing two of the 97 Masterpiece Griffey cards being sold on ebay back in 2005 or so for over 5000 a piece.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
NYCrulesU said:
I recall the story when it actually happened. It wasn't a plate. It was for the 1/1 Masterpiece from Showcase. There were 3, 1 for each level. A collector had 2 and a kid in Alaska has the 3rd. The collector did offer $10k, which was declined. The collector then offered $20k, which was also declined. The kid said he knew what the card was worth and that oneday he would put himself through college, buy a new can and a new house off of that 1 card.

Wonder how that worked out for him. ::facepalm::

how much does a house in akaska really sell for. i always find it funny when these people get so greedy and it windsup biting them in the ass

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Philip J. Fry said:
Oh man, if I pulled that card and was offered $10K for it, I wouldn't even think twice about it.
I agree.
Even as a player collector, it's hard to pass up that kind of cheddar. Really!
It's not like it's a Ruth or Cobb Cut.

Bet those sell for 1/10 now.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I remember someone pulling a Masterpiece 1/1 of Eric Anthony and having it set up in his showcase like it was the Hope Diamond. Special little easel and everything. He wanted 500 dollars for it. ::facepalm::

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The three cards are completely different from each other, with completely different fronts and write-ups on back.

As far as value, they should be pretty expensive considering they were the first 1/1s produced and are great looking cards. Given the historical significance of those Griffeys in particular, they should be worth $10K.

Its actually nice that some 1/1s don't have that same refractor-like finish!

Roy Birchler said:
I remember hearing that story. There were 3 different 1/1s in that set, 3 variations of the same card. Some have sold over the last couple of years, but not anywhere near $10,000.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
uniquebaseballcards said:
The three cards are completely different from each other, with completely different fronts and write-ups on back.

As far as value, they should be pretty expensive considering they were the first 1/1s produced and are great looking cards. Given the historical significance of those Griffeys in particular, they should be worth $10K.

Roy Birchler said:

True.
No Way.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum

Roy Birchler said:

They weren't worth $10k then, and they're not worth $10k now. Maybe $500-800 today, based on their significance as early 1/1's. That is if someone actually holds that to be significant.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
They obviously were worth $10K then because more than one person was willing to pay that price. Were you around back then?? I would pay $10K for the Griffey row 0 now.

NYCrulesU said:

Roy Birchler said:

They weren't worth $10k then, and they're not worth $10k now. Maybe $500-800 today, based on their significance as early 1/1's. That is if someone actually holds that to be significant.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
They obviously were worth $10K then because more than one person was willing to pay that price. Were you around back then?? I would pay $10K for the Griffey row 0 now.

NYCrulesU said:

Roy Birchler said:

Yes, I was around back then.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
tramers said:
11-08-2009111909AM.jpg
something like this?

Tramers,

No, looks like this -

image_47466.jpg

image_47467.jpg

Members online