Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So whos the best OF on the free agent market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
I might be leaving some out but from what I recall, heres the list of best OF:

Holliday
Bay
Dye
Ankiel
Matsui
Damon
Cameron
Giles
Blalock

Who would you take?

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
What kind of question is this?

Obviously Holliday or Bay.

So, basically this should be reworded to, "Who would you rather have, Jason Bay or Matt Holliday".

A_Pharis

I agree with Holliday or Bay. Matsui and Damon have both had their best days, and Dye and Ankiel just show no signs of growth (to me). Giles and Blalock just seem lower-tier, and I'm not sure on what to think about Cameron.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
I'd take Jason Bay.

He produces on crappy team (ie: the Pirates) and great teams, regardless of league, ball park or lineup.

Away from Coors Field, Holliday isn't THAT great of a player, but he did show in St. Louis he can be a very good player, if there is another very good player in the lineup.

If I was the Sox, I wouldn't let Bay go ANYWHERE.

If I were the Mets, I would throw about $18 mil a year for 4 years Holliday's way. Lord knows they need LF help and he would look great batting in the 4 spot with Reyes and Wright ahead of him.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I will have to go with Jason Bay

:D :D :D :D :D

I hope the Red Sox are smart enough to keep him but as long as he doesn't go to the Yankees or Phillies I will be happy.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I would go with Bay as well.

If you're looking for soem value and high-calibur defense though, you should consider Cam-boogy.

Jul 30, 2009
MLB Network lists Blalock on the scroll as an OF (didnt think he was but thought he changed)

I know its pretty much between Bay and Holliday (forgot about Crawford) but Im sure theres poeple somewhere who think Ankiel is due for a breakout season with a change of team and that Bay's numbers will drop big on a non high profile team, thats why I included some of the lesser names.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Anthony K. said:
I'd take Jason Bay.

He produces on crappy team (ie: the Pirates) and great teams, regardless of league, ball park or lineup.

Away from Coors Field, Holliday isn't THAT great of a player, but he did show in St. Louis he can be a very good player, if there is another very good player in the lineup.

If I was the Sox, I wouldn't let Bay go ANYWHERE.

If I were the Mets, I would throw about $18 mil a year for 4 years Holliday's way. Lord knows they need LF help and he would look great batting in the 4 spot with Reyes and Wright ahead of him.

:::Crosses fingers:::

011873 - Bays #'s will drop big on a non-high profile team?? Erm......did he not play for the Pirates for most of his career while putting up great numbers?? ::facepalm::

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Bay or Holliday. Can't go wrong with either one. Yankees 2009 OF: Jason Bay, Melky Cabrera, Matt Holliday? Only kidding of course, but I wouldn't mind that :D

Jul 30, 2009
I dont think Bays numbers will drop, never said that. I wrote that PEOPLE SOMEWHERE might think that. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Crawford has a $10 mil option which will almost undoubtedly be picked up, so I don't know why he keeps getting mentioned in various free agent conversations.

I would take Bay over Holliday, but I think teams will end up overpaying for both. While Bay has been a consistent hitter, I think his numbers will see a rapid decline towards the end of his contract. That, coupled with limited range and a weak arm could make for an ugly end to a 4 or 5 year contract, even though I really like Bay. Of course, the Green Monster could help hide his defensive limitations, should he resign with the Sox.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
011873 said:
I dont think Bays numbers will drop, never said that. I wrote that PEOPLE SOMEWHERE might think that. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
Whoever would think that is a moron....he is one of the most consistant hitters in the game

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
scotty21690 said:
011873 said:
Whoever would think that is a moron....he is one of the most consistant hitters in the game
Consistent? I think the guy is one helluva a ball player, but anyone who's average drops nearly 30 points in one year is hardly consistent.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
It is Holliday or Bay. I would take Holliday for one simple reason. He proved he can hit in a pitchers park. Bay has only put up big #s at Fenway. Not saying he can't, just hasn't yet.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I really wish Bay was a free agent next year instead of this. Since Manny (wisely for him) opted to return, there isn't room for him in our outfield, but I would have loved to see Bay, Kemp & Ethier patrolling Dodger Stadium together. He's easily one of my favorite non-Dodgers.

Members online