Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Aroldis Chapman Cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_Hamilton_32

Sep 9, 2009
I was thinking about buying some of his wbc cards..which are in the 2009 bowman chrome and topps chrome....but won't he have a 2010 card next year and if so won't the wbc cards drop in price once all of his 2010 cards are out with whatever mlb team he signs with.

Because Dice K's japan 00 Ovation card dropped rapidly over the last years. Was going 50 his rookie year ungraded now it goes 5. So it sounds to me like those wbc cards will sell good this first year so it might be a good time to buy them and sell them next year in his first year...what u guys think?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Only time will tell which of his cards will be more valuable - his 2009 WBC cards or his 2010 cards in which he may be featured in a Major League uniform. However, if Topps does indeed now own the Milb license, and if Chapman will require playing time in the minors (quite likely), it might not be for some time until he is actually shown in a Major League uniform.

I would liken this scenario to that of cards produced of a player in his AFLAC uniform (prior to being drafted) vs. his subsequent cards in which he has signed with both his team and the card company of his choosing.

First year purists will naturally prefer his WBC cards, but "rookie card" enthusiasts will prefer to wait until he is called up and shown in a Major League jersey to buy his cards.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Jaypers said:
Only time will tell which of his cards will be more valuable - his 2009 WBC cards or his 2010 cards in which he may be featured in a Major League uniform. However, if Topps does indeed now own the Milb license, and if Chapman will require playing time in the minors (quite likely), it might not be for some time until he is actually shown in a Major League uniform.

I would liken this scenario to that of cards produced of a player in his AFLAC uniform (prior to being drafted) vs. his subsequent cards in which he has signed with both his team and the card company of his choosing.

First year purists will naturally prefer his WBC cards, but "rookie card" enthusiasts will prefer to wait until he is called up and shown in a Major League jersey to buy his cards.

His cards are too high already to incur all of that risk.

Makes no sense.

While no one knows a ceiling or floor in regards to pricing, I would be more inclined to say it will drop 25-50% before it increased 20%.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:

Agreed. A similar case would be Alexei Ramirez. His 2006 WBC cards sold very well ($30-50) and prices didn't dip until he had autographed rookie cards 2 years later. Those 2008 auto'd RCs now sell for more ($20-30), but the 2006 FY cards still get good bids ($10-20).

Jul 30, 2009
If one of the mega teams sign him now, his WBC cards will be smoking until he has ONE card showing him in the new unifrom.

I would assume, using the above situation, you will be safe until atleast 2010 UD series one probably in February since they wont have to wait until he makes the Majors. I would think it will be a press conference photo or some computer job.

On the other hand, Donruss is pretty good with getting hot/new players into EEE so you never know.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
sportscardtheory said:
I think it will depend how good he is. Dice-K has lost a LOT of popularity for some reason, so ALL his cards have taken a huge hit.

The economy doesn't help either.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Matsuzaka had a WBC jersey card from 2006 Flair that jumped into the $60-70 range when his signing was imminent. All the hype created by the $100M rights purchase+contract, the gyroball, etc. It fell off as his performance has been decent but unspectacular. I'd expect similar things as Chapman's MLB arrival is solidified but once he takes the field and actually shows what he can do, he's got to deliver some flashy numbers for prices to rise.

Latest posts