Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I got to meet Chase Utley Friday.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Pretty awesome! :D

A little back story: tldr warning

The focus of my collection if you don't know, is Utley. Love his style of play, followed him up through the system and he's obviously a great player. I moved my season ticket seats into right field row 3 just for the Utley Howard home run balls :oops: I'm working on getting every Topps and Bowman card of his ever, and am about 40% done. needless too say, big fan.

So I work for a company that has several upscale restaurants, a few high end prepared food stores, two home goods stores and an artisan chocolate/cheese charcuterie shop. All in Philly and privately owned. I'm the owner's right hand man so to speak....bills, payroll, advertising, hiring, firing, paperwork, legal, tons and tons of BS. Boring office ***** that I'm sure some of you can commiserate with :x

Here and there I work as Maître d' in our busiest space when the owner or regular guy can't do the bookings and I fill in. It's an important part of the company as it represents about 30% of our yearly sales so the owner takes the place very seriously. And Friday was one of those days.....

Slammed, people out the door, huge long wait for a table. I walk up to the door, see a gaggle of people and think, Jesus that guy looks just like Utley :lol: . (he was wearing a winter hat and dressed way down, and I keep the dining room lights really low so it was hard to really tell) He says party of three and I tell the guy, it'll be 1 and 1/2 hours for a table :oops: (that was the wait for a table at that point) His wife, Jen (aside, she's very recognizable in philly, big into dog shelters and animal rights, everyone knows her) says "Are you serious?!"

I lookup at her and think, "That's Utley's wife." Then I think to myself, "Well *******, that means that guy you thought was Utley is Utley" I started to kinda laugh and I think at that point they saw that I recognized him :lol: :oops: :lol: ::facepalm:: My favorite baseball player is a foot away from me and I tell him it'll be an hour and a half :lol:

Of course I usher them right in, the only open table. Kinda patted him on the back and told him to enjoy. Pulled the entire front of the house staff into the back and told them that table 31A gets whatever they want or everyone gets fired :eek: ( j/k of course) The floor staff is almost all women or gay guys so no one has any idea who the hell he is, and I try to keep it that way. Chef hooks it up, the entire room doesn't recognize him. They have a lovely meal. I left them alone, didn't stare....no one bothers them.

During desert one of the waitresses goes up to him, basically says the manager (me) is a big fan, made a big deal with the staff, blah blah. Totally blowing up my, at that point, very professional manner. His entire table turns and looks at me laughing. Totally embarrassed. :oops:

Comped the hell out of his tab. He tips his server awesome, and on his way out (at this point everyone in there knows he's there, people taking pictures with their cell phones, girls squealing...ect) he comes right up to me. Pretty cool. Looks me right in the eye, shakes my hand, thanks me for being a fan, a great meal. Very sincere, no ********. I said something like "great season, thanks, glad you enjoyed your meal, you're welcome back whenever..." :oops:

Total class act. Didn't call ahead asking for anything. Didn't want anything special. Sat cheek to jowl with everyone else. (we pack em in) Awesome guy, and his wife was a very nice lady, too.

It was awesome :D

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Lancemountain said:
beefycheddar said:
tumblr_krz0psUPGt1qzdugwo1_500.jpg

Damn, I had a note you could have given him.

:lol:

I wasn't even close to that bad. I was cool :cool:

although I would like to play catch with him :oops:

I'm not even a huge fan of him, and I'd mark out meeting him cause of Always Sunny. So good job holding it together.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
IMHO you were just as classy as he was by not taking advantage of the situation and asking for an auto for a table. Great story and congrats on meeting your favorite player!

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
job well done ! i ran a shift for three years like you do but no super stars came in except my future wife .

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Very Cool!

I worked graveyard at an Interstate truck stop for 9 years and the only sports people I noticed were the Anaheim Ducks one night. Their bus stopped late during a road trip after playing the Penguins. I'm not a huge hockey fan anymore, so I don't know who was there, but there were like a dozen of them grabbing snacks!

Most of the time it was just music groups tour buses that stopped.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Came in again tonight. said "nice to see you again, everything well?"

wife is cool as hell too.

sent them a round of chenin blanc dessert wine.

:oops:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Lancemountain said:
Came in again tonight. said "nice to see you again, everything well?"

wife is cool as hell too.

sent them a round of chenin blanc dessert wine.

:oops:

dang he remembered you? THAT is awesome. only had one professional remember me but for a totally different reason that had nothing to do with me (it was Curt Schilling - long story)...

that's great that you got see him again. hopefully he keeps popping in. third time he comes in you HAVE to ask for an auto...

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Seiya said:
You gotta take a pic to hang it up on the wall! C'mon son!

Gotta stay cool :oops: :arrow: :lol:

I actually had a mailday in my bag that I got on my way to work with a printing plate in it and I thought for a second to ask a waitress to get it signed for me but professionalism took over.

I'll bring a romlb ball into work and leave it in the office, next time he comes I'll ask for an auto..

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
Lancemountain said:
Seiya said:

I actually had a mailday in my bag that I got on my way to work with a printing plate in it and I thought for a second to ask a waitress to get it signed for me but professionalism took over.

I'll bring a romlb ball into work and leave it in the office, next time he comes I'll ask for an auto..

Awesome, Hope theres no Giants fans in the kitchen. : :p

You should bring your whole collection to show him and just freak him out.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
Lancemountain said:
Seiya said:

Awesome, Hope theres no Giants fans in the kitchen. : :p

You should bring your whole collection to show him and just freak him out.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia

I'm not sure I could even describe my collection.

"You see Chase, this card is RED man! There's only five of them! And this one? Well it has a piece of your all star work-out jersey in it. This one is a mini card, see how some Topps receptionist hand numbered the back? Oh here is one, it's gold, we call it a refractor. Trust me dude, I've only seen two of em. :oops: :oops:

Actually maybe these guys would be pretty pumped to see this stuff. Is Denker excited when you showed him your plates?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Lancemountain said:

I'm not sure I could even describe my collection.

"You see Chase, this card is RED man! There's only five of them! And this one? Well it has a piece of your all star work-out jersey in it. This one is a mini card, see how some Topps receptionist hand numbered the back? Oh here is one, it's gold, we call it a refractor. Trust me dude, I've only seen two of em. :oops: :oops:

Actually maybe these guys would be pretty pumped to see this stuff. Is Denker excited when you showed him your plates?

I know you have spoken with him, but have you gotten his auto yet?

Members online

Latest posts