Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Some Giants Offseason Thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes

OG
Administrator
http://thedugoutreport.wordpress.com/

I posted the link cause I like to see the hit counter go up, but I'll copy the article here for those too lazy to click me.

Thoughts Giants fans?

Five weeks after ending their season the San Francisco Giants began their offseason by informing noodle swinging rightfielder Randy Winn that he wouldn’t be brought back. Winn was a solid regular for the Giants, playing strong defense while hitting for providing reasonable power and speed for a .280 type hitter. The depth chart includes Nate Schierholtz, Andres Torres, Fred Lewis and John Bowker. Eugenio Velez is also an option. The Giants haven’t said much about pursuing either of the top two free agent hitters, Jason Bay and Matt Holliday. Neither appears to have the type of defense needed to play left field at AT&T Park, but that hasn’t been a problem for the team in the past, as they have run out Barry Bonds and Lewis in the past. Most likely the Gigantes will look to the second tier, guys like Jermaine Dye, Vladimir Guerrero, Johnny Damon, Rick Ankiel and Lou Brock. Okay, not Brock, but certainly the Giants haven’t shied away from older outfielders in the past and this year’s crop has their best years behind them.

2010 Free Agent Outfielders

Left fielders
Jason Bay
Johnny Damon
Matt Holliday
Hideki Matsui

Center fielders
Rick Ankiel
Coco Crisp

Right fielders
Jermaine Dye
Brian Giles
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Xavier Nady
Magglio Ordonez

Of those listed, only Ankiel, Crisp and perhaps Nady would be solid fits defensively for the club. The four left fielders would bring the most offense, but none will come cheaply. Nady would be a great option, as he has some background playing the infield and might be capable of filling in at first base if the Giants can’t come up with a Nick Johnson or Lyle Overbay. Speaking of Giants first baseman, top prospect Angel Villalona is out of jail, but only after some bizzare financial posturing.

Bengie Molina was given type-A status meaning that the Giants would receive two first round picks as compensation if he signs elsewhere. They would be wise to let this happen, as Molina’s skills deteriorated noticably last year. The heftiest of the Molina brothers had a strong first half offensively only to see minor injuries hamper his overall game by the end of the season. Prospect Buster Posey is poised to make a push for the role. Posey put up big numbers in the minors last year but struggled in sporadic major league appearances in September. Posey is seen as being offensively ready, having been called “at least the Giants’ second best hitter” by Baseball America. His defense is still a work in progress, as he’s only three years removed from being an everyday shortstop. Expect the Giants to pickup a veteran mentor type backstop – perhaps a Pudge Rodriguez. It wouldn’t be surprising to see whoever the team signs start off the season as a regular and be moved quickly – much like the Baltimore Orioles did with the Matt Wieters situation last season. Interestingly, the man the Orioles moved to free up a spot for Wieters, Gregg Zaun, is also a free agent, and could serve the same role for San Francisco.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
LLWesMan said:

I posted the link cause I like to see the hit counter go up, but I'll copy the article here for those too lazy to click me.

Thoughts Giants fans?

Five weeks after ending their season the San Francisco Giants began their offseason by informing noodle swinging rightfielder Randy Winn that he wouldn’t be brought back. Winn was a solid regular for the Giants, playing strong defense while hitting for providing reasonable power and speed for a .280 type hitter. The depth chart includes Nate Schierholtz, Andres Torres, Fred Lewis and John Bowker. Eugenio Velez is also an option. The Giants haven’t said much about pursuing either of the top two free agent hitters, Jason Bay and Matt Holliday. Neither appears to have the type of defense needed to play left field at AT&T Park, but that hasn’t been a problem for the team in the past, as they have run out Barry Bonds and Lewis in the past. Most likely the Gigantes will look to the second tier, guys like Jermaine Dye, Vladimir Guerrero, Johnny Damon, Rick Ankiel and Lou Brock. Okay, not Brock, but certainly the Giants haven’t shied away from older outfielders in the past and this year’s crop has their best years behind them.

Left fielders
Jason Bay
Johnny Damon
Matt Holliday
Hideki Matsui

Center fielders
Rick Ankiel
Coco Crisp

Right fielders
Jermaine Dye
Brian Giles
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Xavier Nady
Magglio Ordonez

Of those listed, only Ankiel, Crisp and perhaps Nady would be solid fits defensively for the club. The four left fielders would bring the most offense, but none will come cheaply. Nady would be a great option, as he has some background playing the infield and might be capable of filling in at first base if the Giants can’t come up with a Nick Johnson or Lyle Overbay. Speaking of Giants first baseman, top prospect Angel Villalona is out of jail, but only after some bizzare financial posturing.

Bengie Molina was given type-A status meaning that the Giants would receive two first round picks as compensation if he signs elsewhere. They would be wise to let this happen, as Molina’s skills deteriorated noticably last year. The heftiest of the Molina brothers had a strong first half offensively only to see minor injuries hamper his overall game by the end of the season. Prospect Buster Posey is poised to make a push for the role. Posey put up big numbers in the minors last year but struggled in sporadic major league appearances in September. Posey is seen as being offensively ready, having been called “at least the Giants’ second best hitter” by Baseball America. His defense is still a work in progress, as he’s only three years removed from being an everyday shortstop. Expect the Giants to pickup a veteran mentor type backstop – perhaps a Pudge Rodriguez. It wouldn’t be surprising to see whoever the team signs start off the season as a regular and be moved quickly – much like the Baltimore Orioles did with the Matt Wieters situation last season. Interestingly, the man the Orioles moved to free up a spot for Wieters, Gregg Zaun, is also a free agent, and could serve the same role for San Francisco.
I agree with your thoughts on letting bengie walk and get a veteran backstop like pudge.

However I feel Giants will suck just as much offensively if we do not get Holliday, Bay Or Dye. (Maybe Nady)

Giants should NOT get Matsui, Ankiel, Coco, Giles, Griffey, Magglio,

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
darocker80 said:
LLWesMan said:

Thoughts Giants fans?

Left fielders
Jason Bay
Johnny Damon
Matt Holliday
Hideki Matsui

Center fielders
Rick Ankiel
Coco Crisp

Right fielders
Jermaine Dye
Brian Giles
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Xavier Nady
Magglio Ordonez

I agree with your thoughts on letting bengie walk and get a veteran backstop like pudge.

However I feel Giants will suck just as much offensively if we do not get Holliday, Bay Or Dye. (Maybe Nady)

The available free agents aren't enough to push San Fran past either the Dodgers or Rockies. With their stockpile of decent arms they should look towards trading for the hitters that they desperately need. Regardless they will still suck.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Rickzcards said:
darocker80 said:
LLWesMan said:

Thoughts Giants fans?

Left fielders
Jason Bay
Johnny Damon
Matt Holliday
Hideki Matsui

Center fielders
Rick Ankiel
Coco Crisp

Right fielders
Jermaine Dye
Brian Giles
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Xavier Nady
Magglio Ordonez

The available free agents aren't enough to push San Fran past either the Dodgers or Rockies. With their stockpile of decent arms they should look towards trading for the hitters that they desperately need. Regardless they will still suck.

Suck is a little harsh - especially in that division.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Dye will suck balls here. He's overrated and has always been overrated. He's another Rowan just waiting to happen. Bay might be able to put up big numbers here but I'm not sure. Gonzales will definitely put up huger nymbers here but the Padres will want a lot for him.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
LLWesMan said:
Rickzcards said:
darocker80 said:
LLWesMan said:

Thoughts Giants fans?

Left fielders
Jason Bay
Johnny Damon
Matt Holliday
Hideki Matsui

Center fielders
Rick Ankiel
Coco Crisp

Right fielders
Jermaine Dye
Brian Giles
Ken Griffey Jr.
Vladimir Guerrero
Xavier Nady
Magglio Ordonez

Suck is a little harsh - especially in that division.
that's why i had him blocked.

Wes

OG
Administrator
kdailey4315 said:
Dye will suck balls here. He's overrated and has always been overrated. He's another Rowan just waiting to happen. Bay might be able to put up big numbers here but I'm not sure. Gonzales will definitely put up huger nymbers here but the Padres will want a lot for him.

I don't think Adrian is realistic - I'd be fine with a Schierholtz/Rowand/Velez OF as long as they pick up a real 1B.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
dinosaurusrex said:
Really???

Vlad Guerrero as "second-tier"

:shock:
His performance (AND POWER) has declined substantially. He can still play, but is not what the Giants are looking for.

Rowand, Schierholtz and another OF is what the giants need and a 1B and were good.

dinosaurusrex

Oct 27, 2009
darocker80 said:
dinosaurusrex said:
Really???

His performance (AND POWER) has declined substantially. He can still play, but is not what the Giants are looking for.

Rowand, Schierholtz and another OF is what the giants need and a 1B and were good.

Still....he would bat 3 or 4 on any team other than the yankees (he'd be a solid 5)

so i would still put him in the top tier with holliday/bay/damon anyday, even if he isnt what the giants are looking for

dinosaurusrex

Oct 27, 2009
darocker80 said:
dinosaurusrex said:
Really???

Still....he would bat 3 or 4 on any team other than the yankees (he'd be a solid 5)

so i would still put him in the top tier with holliday/bay/damon anyday, even if he isnt what the giants are looking for

Wes

OG
Administrator
dinosaurusrex said:
darocker80 said:
dinosaurusrex said:
Really???

Maybe at his best - but if you factor in his age, inability to play defense, and on top of all of that his injury history - he definitely is not a top tier free agent. The difference between him and Bay/Holliday is huge as far as value.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
LLWesMan said:
dinosaurusrex said:
darocker80 said:
dinosaurusrex said:
Really???

Maybe at his best - but if you factor in his age, inability to play defense, and on top of all of that his injury history - he definitely is not a top tier free agent. The difference between him and Bay/Holliday is huge as far as value.
Agreed.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
dinosaurusrex said:
Really???

In my opinion he is at this stage of his career. He's declined in almost every offensive category the last four years running along with his games played. He's a liability on the base paths and in the field. I believe he has bad knees so I'm not sure how many years he has left.

Tom

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm weary of trying to bring any big-money free agent in since I feel you will be overpaying for last year's production since the free agent will likely have diminished numbers this year due to the ballpark. I'd more like to see high average, good contact, good speed guys rather than homerun hitters.

Members online

Latest posts