Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is the old rule of not prospecting a pitcher over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
I remember hearing over the years that speculating on pitchers was "a bad investment" - it seems like that notion is no longer true - or people just dont believe it anymore.

Thoughts...

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Lifelongfan said:
I remember hearing over the years that speculating on pitchers was "a bad investment" - it seems like that notion is no longer true - or people just dont believe it anymore.

Thoughts...

People are realizing all it takes is a couple good games in the minor leagues to make a profit. They don't have to make to the big show and throw a no-no.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
IMO, pitchers are short term investments and hitters are long term investments (for the most part).

Both can be very profitable if done right.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Messier2 said:
IMO, pitchers are short term investments and hitters are long term investments (for the most part).

Both can be very profitable if done right.

Yup, what he said.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think pitchers are a lot more interesting to invest in because many of them are a lot more about projection. And I believe the high risk, high reward cliche is definitely true when it comes to pitchers too.

Weatherwarrior

Aug 7, 2008
NE Georgia
I look at it as cheap is cheap if a pitcher is hot he is hot not that i won't go after hitters but 08 BDP is not full of huge bats this year like 07 was and i personally feel that since pitchers are considered a bad investment their prices are lower allowing for bigger returns if you pick the right guys. Take David price last year he was experiencing some arm trouble or soreness and his prices dipped a little and could be had for a little cheaper We all know how that story ended in October!

So pitchers are a bigger risk reward thing for me.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
darocker80 said:
goblue6919 said:
I love prospecting pitchers.

One amazing game and you can make huge profits.
yup. David Price promotion to AAA made me a happy camper.

I think overall his stuff was going for more then than when he hit the majors.
Yeah. i sold his chrome auto for 65 and his donruss eee auto /50 for 200ish.

125 profit :)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I never believed in rules like those, general rules don't work when it comes to investing.

That said, it was a popular "mantra" a while back, which few still accept. As for whether people have started investing too heavily into pitchers....well that's a discussion for a different time.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Also, MILB pitchers stats can "appear" more impressive. While it takes a really awesome year in the minors to stir notice. For instance. A pitcher with a 2.00 ERA or lower will get a lot of buzz, while a hitter with 20ish HRs won't. To really equal a 2.00 ERA a guy would have to hit 40+ HRs with a good batting average, while being young too.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
nborton said:
Also, MILB pitchers stats can "appear" more impressive. While it takes a really awesome year in the minors to stir notice. For instance. A pitcher with a 2.00 ERA or lower will get a lot of buzz, while a hitter with 20ish HRs won't. To really equal a 2.00 ERA a guy would have to hit 40+ HRs with a good batting average, while being young too.
That is true, look at what bumgarner's stats did to his cards!

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
If I feel good about a guy it doesn't matter if he is a pitcher or not. I've always done pretty well with pitchers as I've managed to pick the right guys.

My first try with pitchers in 1997 I had:
*Kerry Wood
*Jon Garland
*Roy Halladay

I had about a $10,000 summer after Wood came up. 125+ Base Bowman, 45 Chrome, 30ish Bowman Best, several autos and a few refractors. I was excited to turn $2-3 per on my Chromes into $60-80 :)

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
Did anybody here prospect in Zach Duke? I bet they made a friggin' killing.

I remeber Zach Dukes '04 Bowman Chrome Blue refractors on thepit.com. People were making a killing on him. Liriano and Carmona were my money makers. A few others were Daryl Thompson, Scott Mitchinson, Lester, Buchholz, John Maine, and Manny Parra.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
P's can be frustrating....take a look at Trevor Cahill. The guy can't pitch any better and he projects well.....however, his cards are still sitting around the mid-20's.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts