Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Suggestions for RAZOR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CandGcards

Sep 2, 2008
Brian I listened to your podcast with superfractor.com and I liked what I heard. You can tell that you are confident in what you are doing and that you have a ton of good ideas moving forward including getting into football. I have two big suggestions for you.

The first suggestion is that when another company i.e.Topp's puts a redemption card of a player you handle offer to accept those redemptions for your cards. I thought about this some time back when the Villalona's were redemptions. I don't know if you even have Villalona signed but you could have offered an exclusive Tim Beckham auto or something along those lines.

My second suggestion is about these printing plates. I know that you have said that you did not sell them on eBay for a revenue builder but because plates are easy to find for those pesky pack feelers or shop owners (i don't think you said shop owners). My suggestion is make the printing plates a top loader. If you truly don't need the revenue that you generated then make them available for the collector to open one way or another. Also while we are on the subject of plates what has happened to the plates of the autographed cards?

Finally let me say that I have always been a fan of Scott Jordan and have a ton of his product hanging on my wall or mixed in my card collection. I hope Razor continues to do some of the stuff JMI did and takes it to a whole new level.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
CandGcards said:
Brian I listened to your podcast with superfractor.com and I liked what I heard. You can tell that you are confident in what you are doing and that you have a ton of good ideas moving forward including getting into football. I have two big suggestions for you.

The first suggestion is that when another company i.e.Topp's puts a redemption card of a player you handle offer to accept those redemptions for your cards. I thought about this some time back when the Villalona's were redemptions. I don't know if you even have Villalona signed but you could have offered an exclusive Tim Beckham auto or something along those lines.

My second suggestion is about these printing plates. I know that you have said that you did not sell them on eBay for a revenue builder but because plates are easy to find for those pesky pack feelers or shop owners (i don't think you said shop owners). My suggestion is make the printing plates a top loader. If you truly don't need the revenue that you generated then make them available for the collector to open one way or another. Also while we are on the subject of plates what has happened to the plates of the autographed cards?

Finally let me say that I have always been a fan of Scott Jordan and have a ton of his product hanging on my wall or mixed in my card collection. I hope Razor continues to do some of the stuff JMI did and takes it to a whole new level.

I'm not trying to bash your ideas but how does Razor replacing Topps cards help Razor at all? Then Razor is paying their athlete for an autograph while Topps gets the money for the pack/box that redemption was pulled from. I know what you're getting at because this is done in other areas (stores and movie theaters come to mind) but I don't see how this could work for baseball cards.

Also wouldn't making the plates as box toppers make them easily searchable. Then it's the shop owner that gets to take the plate and put it on ebay.

Dpanthers14

Aug 7, 2008
Colorado
After looking at all the breaks I could see how it could get boring not being very much veriety between all the cards. I would think there would be more inserts and different type cards. just my 2 cents

CandGcards

Sep 2, 2008
at least you know the box topper is a plate and then if you buy a box you get one.

My first idea has to do with exposure. Instead of waiting for months on a Topps redemption Razor could fill it and have their product out on the market. Maybe this doesn't work now with the cards already on the market but if they fill the redemption with a card from an upcoming set then it could build interest.

RookieHotList

Nov 3, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
I'm not trying to bash your ideas but how does Razor replacing Topps cards help Razor at all? Then Razor is paying their athlete for an autograph while Topps gets the money for the pack/box that redemption was pulled from. I know what you're getting at because this is done in other areas (stores and movie theaters come to mind) but I don't see how this could work for baseball cards.

Also wouldn't making the plates as box toppers make them easily searchable. Then it's the shop owner that gets to take the plate and put it on ebay.

-I understand what you are saying about the redemption situation...why would Razor spend their money to honor Topps redemptions with some cool offering of their own that would be good enough to keep someone from redeeming their topps card....Yes this would cost them additional money...but it might be worth a loss on the cards for the publicity this would create!!!! WILD MARKETING IDEA!!!!!

-I think the box topper is a great idea!!!! There are 2 ways to eliminate pack feelers...#1 every box topper contains a plate. #2 Every box topper contains a plate or something roughly equal in value to a plate in an uncirculated case/encapsulated!!!!!! Of course these box toppers are wrapped in a foil pack.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
all good suggestions... i think youll like where we are going in 2009...

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
My suggestions for Brian:
Stop listening to suggestions. That might sound like an odd statement but here's what I mean by this statement: It seems like after every single thing that Razor does, there are a ton that rip on it. In many of the threads it seems like BG jumps on and then says "Ok, next time we will do..." Almost as if BG's response is a knee-jerk reaction and then he goes with the flow and makes an executive decision right there and then. I am not sure who = part of BG's brain-trust when it came to card design, checklist, plate design, product #2, product #3, eventually #4 and so on but I think BG needs to listen LESS to the message board and use his own expertise/opinion and SJordan's as well. I think everyone has their own personal agenda and BG needs to do less listening. Heck, even I gave BG some advice as far as sending out notices to players on checklist that their plates = on eBay and their cards will be going live soon, suggesting live break people wear Razor clothing, and also trying to advocate for Odorizzi to be in product. So, in part, I am being hypocritical by offering suggestions and then stating that BG should listen less. But, I guess now as I sit back and see this thread, some of these ideas popped in my head.
Sure some might say that listening to the customer is what separates Razor from the others but it kind of seems like Razor might be trusting the opinion of a few and laying their trust too deeply.

Even BG admitted in posts that maybe product #1 didn't necessarily go as expected 100% (first having trapped, then having on-card with trapped appearance).
The plates getting changed right away even though the final prices showed that inital black plates outsold "improved" magenta in many auctions.
I am not sure how many of the players that are getting under $2 on eBay were highly recommended by some of the members in the brain trust

I read from time to time that us posters mention "Well, I like the pit" "I like the UD minors set" "I like Hall of Famer product" "I like Lettermen" and then it seems like within days Razor does it or plans on doing it

I know nothing about BG as a person. All I know is that he listens.
I also know that he sometimes get emotional and reacts quickly (in past shuts down and says he is done with board and the only way he will respond is via phone calls, at times unprofessionally rips other products). Basically he is a reactive individual. He listens to the mesage board and reacts. My suggestion is that he become more proactive and less reactive.

No way is any product going to make 100% of the people happy. At times, it seems like BG is trying to win over 100%. I went back and read a bunch of threads and it seems like he tried and tried and tried to win over a few of the bashers to the umpteetnth degree. Spend less energy on those that just want to get into debates just for debating purpose. Razor needs to trust it's own instincts. It it succeeds --- super. Competition hopefully forces all companies to put of the best product. It it fails, hope it doesn't screw up the collectors by turning the contracts that they hold into a bidding war that drives up the prices of other company's goods.

BG has done a ton of listening and it is nice to see a change. However, even with all of this listening there is still bitching and moaning. That is why I would suggest that BG stop the listening and put out the proudct that BG wants.
It's his company. It's his fortune to win or lose. BG should not risk his livelihood and fortune on which baseball card board member that represents about .00001% of the whole hobby can speak the loudest.

OK. I am done with my post. Off to waste 2 hours of my life and watch Gremlins 2.

RookieHotList

Nov 3, 2008
cgilmo said:
the plates worked as a teaser for the acutal product.

Understood...and agreed.

But I think the box loader idea adds value to the product. I always loved the box loaders in 2005 Topps Chrome Update and 2006 Bowman Sterling. Fun to see what little "extra goodie" you might uncover ;)

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
RookieHotList said:
cgilmo said:

Understood...and agreed.

But I think the box loader idea adds value to the product. I always loved the box loaders in 2005 Topps Chrome Update and 2006 Bowman Sterling. Fun to see what little "extra goodie" you might uncover ;)

That would just make it harder to finish the Crow rainbow :p.

RookieHotList

Nov 3, 2008
cowboysrule48 said:
RookieHotList said:
cgilmo said:

Understood...and agreed.

I meant with future products my brother!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not with these....that would just be unfair :shock: :shock: ;)

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
RookieHotList said:
cowboysrule48 said:
RookieHotList said:
cgilmo said:

Understood...and agreed.

I meant with future products my brother!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not with these....that would just be unfair :shock: :shock: ;)

I just hope they stay at the current price, much higher, and I may not be able to finish it.

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
kentuckyderby said:
My suggestions for Brian:
Stop listening to suggestions. That might sound like an odd statement but here's what I mean by this statement: It seems like after every single thing that Razor does, there are a ton that rip on it. In many of the threads it seems like BG jumps on and then says "Ok, next time we will do..." Almost as if BG's response is a knee-jerk reaction and then he goes with the flow and makes an executive decision right there and then. I am not sure who = part of BG's brain-trust when it came to card design, checklist, plate design, product #2, product #3, eventually #4 and so on but I think BG needs to listen LESS to the message board and use his own expertise/opinion and SJordan's as well. I think everyone has their own personal agenda and BG needs to do less listening. Heck, even I gave BG some advice as far as sending out notices to players on checklist that their plates = on eBay and their cards will be going live soon, suggesting live break people wear Razor clothing, and also trying to advocate for Odorizzi to be in product. So, in part, I am being hypocritical by offering suggestions and then stating that BG should listen less. But, I guess now as I sit back and see this thread, some of these ideas popped in my head.
Sure some might say that listening to the customer is what separates Razor from the others but it kind of seems like Razor might be trusting the opinion of a few and laying their trust too deeply.

Even BG admitted in posts that maybe product #1 didn't necessarily go as expected 100% (first having trapped, then having on-card with trapped appearance).
The plates getting changed right away even though the final prices showed that inital black plates outsold "improved" magenta in many auctions.
I am not sure how many of the players that are getting under $2 on eBay were highly recommended by some of the members in the brain trust

I read from time to time that us posters mention "Well, I like the pit" "I like the UD minors set" "I like Hall of Famer product" "I like Lettermen" and then it seems like within days Razor does it or plans on doing it

I know nothing about BG as a person. All I know is that he listens.
I also know that he sometimes get emotional and reacts quickly (in past shuts down and says he is done with board and the only way he will respond is via phone calls, at times unprofessionally rips other products). Basically he is a reactive individual. He listens to the mesage board and reacts. My suggestion is that he become more proactive and less reactive.

No way is any product going to make 100% of the people happy. At times, it seems like BG is trying to win over 100%. I went back and read a bunch of threads and it seems like he tried and tried and tried to win over a few of the bashers to the umpteetnth degree. Spend less energy on those that just want to get into debates just for debating purpose. Razor needs to trust it's own instincts. It it succeeds --- super. Competition hopefully forces all companies to put of the best product. It it fails, hope it doesn't screw up the collectors by turning the contracts that they hold into a bidding war that drives up the prices of other company's goods.

BG has done a ton of listening and it is nice to see a change. However, even with all of this listening there is still bitching and moaning. That is why I would suggest that BG stop the listening and put out the proudct that BG wants.
It's his company. It's his fortune to win or lose. BG should not risk his livelihood and fortune on which baseball card board member that represents about .00001% of the whole hobby can speak the loudest.

OK. I am done with my post. Off to waste 2 hours of my life and watch Gremlins 2.

Excellent post and I think this goes along the lines of what other manufacturers suggested concerning reacting to posts on message boards. I love the idea that Razor listens to collectors, but as can be seen by just our community...you can't satisfy all of us.

Members online

Latest posts