Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

which of these two players is more popular

Whos more popular for 1981

• Kirk Gibson by a little

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
One of my sets is 40 years of topps designs, and I am updating it.
Trying to think of a good player to put for some of the years can be difficult.

For 1981 topps, no rookie super stars that year.

Who would you say is more popular?

I tried to pick a good player for each year...most are rookies, but not all of them...but if I didn't use a rookie for that year, I rationalized some reason...

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
gibby by a lot...nowhere near the career #s of baines but his 88 ws hr is one of the most recognizeable moments of all time.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Gibson is much more popular,but Baines had a much better career

Harold Baines ended his career with 2866 career hits. If there were not a few baseball strikes/work stoppages during his career that spanned 1980 to 2001, we would be looking at a 3000 hit guy and he would have had a great shot at the Hall.

His career .289 average with 384 HRS as a DH was not enough

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Baines did have great stats, as did Raines.

Derek Jeter Honored For Having Fewer Hits Than Harold Baines
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/derek_jeter_honored_for_having

Huffamaniac said:

Harold Baines ended his career with 2866 career hits. If there were not a few baseball strikes/work stoppages during his career that spanned 1980 to 2001, we would be looking at a 3000 hit guy and he would have had a great shot at the Hall.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Great article. You have been thanked

uniquebaseballcards said:
Baines did have great stats, as did Raines.

Derek Jeter Honored For Having Fewer Hits Than Harold Baines
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/derek_jeter_honored_for_having

Huffamaniac said:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Without even looking up stats to try and back up my opinion as if popularity depended on it, I know for a FACT Baines had a much more popular career. However, Gibson had a VERY popular HR. Now that time has passed, I believe Baines will be remembered and remain a slightly more popular player, and if not for that single HR by Gibson, it would not even be close.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
matfanofold said:
Without even looking up stats to try and back up my opinion as if popularity depended on it, I know for a FACT Baines had a much more popular career. However, Gibson had a VERY popular HR. Now that time has passed, I believe Baines will be remembered and remain a slightly more popular player, and if not for that single HR by Gibson, it would not even be close.

His two homeruns in game 5 of the 1984 World Series to clinch the Championship were pretty popular too. :)

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Huffamaniac said:

Thank you! Gibson is known for that one iconic HR where he limps around the bases, but Baines had a SIGNIFICANTLY better career. Gibson never drove in 100 runs and is a career .268 hitter, while Baines had multiple 100+ RBI seasons, hit a career .289, and finished with 380+ HRs and 1600+ RBI compared to Kirk's 255 and 870. Gibson also has an MVP, but it's one of the least impressive MVP stat lines I've ever seen - .290, 25 HR, 76 RBI.

Baines is one of the more under appreciated players in recent memory.

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
SKYWALKER said:
GIBSON but only because of football and the SHOT
+1 ...

Baines was a steady workhorse .....

Joe Carter was a steady workhorse with a big bomb !

Gibby was a average player - streaky player - football player - media hound - and big game player ....with a FEW bombs .... Goose and ECK ...

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Donutme said:
SKYWALKER said:
GIBSON but only because of football and the SHOT
+1 ...

Baines was a steady workhorse .....

Joe Carter was a steady workhorse with a big bomb !

Gibby was a average player - streaky player - football player - media hound - and big game player ....with a FEW bombs .... Goose and ECK ...

SO true! i was at a strip joint when he hit it lol

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I'll second Fernando Valenzuela. My mom told me she had to watch the World Series while she was in the hospital with me, and he was the player that she remembered. I was born on Oct. 8th, 1981.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts