Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

how does this happen???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
in the Detroit Dallas game last night both the refs, linesmen and officials in Toronto blew a call on an obvious game tying goal by the Red Wings. the officials said the whistle was blown before the puck went in but if you watch the replay the puck is clearly in the goal 2-3 seconds before the whistle is blown. the Stars won the game 3-1. as much as I don't like Detroit they were screwed.

[youtube:1eyoenni]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nZpCHtQYYI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:1eyoenni]

adamcm

Aug 7, 2008
Definately some explaining to do! I listen to NHL Home Ice on XM at work and they were trying to get a hold of the head of officiating.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
it will be interesting to hear the explanation from the NHL on this. I am sure they will issue an apology to the Red Wings organization but that doesn't change the fact that so many people missed this obvious goal.

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
I believe the explanation goes - the play is dead from the moment the ref intends to blow the whistle dead. Basically, the ref stops play, and blows the whistle to signify as such. If there is some delay between the intention and the whistle being blow (whistle malfunction, ref gets knocked on his ass), the play is still dead.

Its completely unreviewable.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
thehamiltonian said:
I believe the explanation goes - the play is dead from the moment the ref intends to blow the whistle dead. Basically, the ref stops play, and blows the whistle to signify as such. If there is some delay between the intention and the whistle being blow (whistle malfunction, ref gets knocked on his ass), the play is still dead.

This is usually the answer, it's happened quite a few times over the years. It's just one of those things, refs brain worked faster than his lips.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
thehamiltonian said:

this was the reason given by the NHL. I guess it makes sense but just completely sucks for the Wings and now the Leafs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts