Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would You Rather...

Which card would you have for the current price?

• 2005 Bowman Draft Chrome Tulowitzki Gold refractor /50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
A 2005 BDP Tulowitzki Gold Refractor recently sold for $100 and this [ebay:2w9hku4d]290369947901[/ebay:2w9hku4d] is ending very soon. The price of $152 is already more than many rare Tulo RC's would sell for including, IMO, a Sterling Black Refractor /25.

With the changes in the hobby landscape this poll/thread could offer up some good discussion on what we will all face starting in 2010.

This hobby is crazy BTW :D

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
05 BCDP all the way. Those cards are so freakin sweet and it was his first "rookie card". I know that his MLB logo cards carry themselves well but I think the Draft gold ref is just alot harder to come by and many would like it rather than something newer.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
exquisite

those are very underrated and have more room for growth resale-wise than the bowman gold

remember that we are a very small community where bowmanis1strookiesoitwillsellthebest crowd overflows but you need to look at the 99.9% of the rest of the collectors out there who will overpay on what looks attractive (patches and auto) as long as they see "rookie card" stamped

dave

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Personally, I'd rather have the 2005 card. A player's first-year only happens once. The companies have years to make more and more patch/autos of him.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
I generally prefer the major league rookie over the minor league one. Plus the patch and auto outranks refractors IMO.

See, in Tulo's case, he never should have even had the MLB RC Logo slapped on his 3rd year stuff. The rule wasn't even in effect when his RC was released.

So you CAN'T view the 07 as a RC or anything close to it. It is a patch auto /25, but not a RC in any way.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
carlitoson said:
Personally, I'd rather have the 2005 card. A player's first-year only happens once. The companies have years to make more and more patch/autos of him.

Also, keep in mind, Tulo only had 3 RC releases....

He'll have an autographed patch card for the next 15 years.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
daveyou said:
exquisite

those are very underrated and have more room for growth resale-wise than the bowman gold

remember that we are a very small community where bowmanis1strookiesoitwillsellthebest crowd overflows but you need to look at the 99.9% of the rest of the collectors out there who will overpay on what looks attractive (patches and auto) as long as they see "rookie card" stamped

dave

I'm still thinking about winning the Tulo Exquisite, I'm just surprised that I may have pay too much for it :lol:

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Not "3rd year stuff" but major league rookie 'stuff'. To me the minor league rookie is the same as the "negative third year" card ;)

I don't care what the 'rule' is, I only care where the player was in his career the year the card was released.

Adamsince1981 said:
I generally prefer the major league rookie over the minor league one. Plus the patch and auto outranks refractors IMO.

See, in Tulo's case, he never should have even had the MLB RC Logo slapped on his 3rd year stuff. The rule wasn't even in effect when his RC was released.

So you CAN'T view the 07 as a RC or anything close to it. It is a patch auto /25, but not a RC in any way.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Not "3rd year stuff" but major league rookie 'stuff'. To me the minor league rookie is the same as the "negative third year" card ;)

I don't care what the 'rule' is, I only care where the player was in his career the year the card was released.

Adamsince1981 said:

Tulo came up in 2006 and had Bowman and UD autographs....having the MLB RC logo on his 07 stuff is simply lying to the uneducated in the hobby.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Hmmm, I didn't know he came up in 2006. He doesn't have any 2006 cards with the Rookie label? Perhaps card companies were thinking he was still considered a mlb rookie in '07 given he only had 108 PAs in '06, but I agree '06 seems a more appropriate major league rookie.

Although it doesn't apply for Tulo, I'm sure there are guys who had cards produced one or more years before they hit the field even in a minor league game.

Adamsince1981 said:

Adamsince1981 said:

Tulo came up in 2006 and had Bowman and UD autographs....having the MLB RC logo on his 07 stuff is simply lying to the uneducated in the hobby.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Hmmm, I didn't know he came up in 2006. He doesn't have any 2006 cards with the Rookie label? Perhaps card companies were thinking he was still considered a mlb rookie in '07 given he only had 108 PAs in '06, but I agree '06 seems a more appropriate major league rookie.

Although it doesn't apply for Tulo, I'm sure there are guys who had cards produced one or more years before they hit the field even in a minor league game.

Adamsince1981 said:

Adamsince1981 said:

Yeah, Tulo's cards were a victim of the stupididty.

I just don't like the MLBPA and the card companies lying to the general public. We are all baseball card buffs and can fend for ourselves. However, there are a huge amount of individuals that don't KNOW.

I don't mind the MLB RC logo concept...but they came up with it and allowed Topps to cut it's knees out from under it.

Either:

As soon as a player is drafted, the card companies can make a RC of the player.

OR

A player must come up and have X# of AB's and then a RC can be made of said player.

...instead they muddied, clouded, and confused the market place...

too late for change, Topps has the Monopoloy in EVERY WAY SHAPE AND FORM in 2010.

TRUTH

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I think the key is that Tulo will have many more patch/auto's that will only be different because of the year. He will not have any more 1st year gold refs. Just my opinion

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
As a player is a rookie until he's had x number of PAs, it isn't a huge concern because Tulo indeed was a rookie as classified by MLB in '07 - so the card companies are not really lying there. But given how late Updates and Highlights comes out, Topps *should* certainly :lol: be able to include all major league rookies in that set who played that year who haven't already appeared in base Topps.

What people need to understand is that Tulo had a minor league rookie before his major league rookie issues; some people will care about this, others won't.

Adamsince1981 said:

I just don't like the MLBPA and the card companies lying to the general public. We are all baseball card buffs and can fend for ourselves. However, there are a huge amount of individuals that don't KNOW.

I don't mind the MLB RC logo concept...but they came up with it and allowed Topps to cut it's knees out from under it.

Either:

OR

A player must come up and have X# of AB's and then a RC can be made of said player.

too late for change, Topps has the Monopoloy in EVERY WAY SHAPE AND FORM in 2010.

TRUTH

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
As a player is a rookie until he's had x number of PAs, it isn't a huge concern because Tulo indeed was a rookie as classified by MLB in '07 - so the card companies are not really lying there. But given how late Updates and Highlights comes out, Topps *should* certainly :lol: be able to include all major league rookies in that set who played that year who haven't already appeared in base Topps.

What people need to understand is that Tulo had a minor league rookie before his major league rookie issues; some people will care about this, others won't.

Adamsince1981 said:

Either:

OR

TRUTH

you own 400+ 1/1's...

What about the guy that wants the 1 TRUE RC 1/1 of his favorite player?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The guy you describe may very well have a different definition of what constitutes a rookie and RC than you do.

I prefer major league rookies, you apparently prefer minor league rookies. There's no such thing as a 'true' rookie card. Whats important is that its all good because we both understand the difference. :)

Adamsince1981 said:
you own 400+ 1/1's...

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
The guy you describe may very well have a different definition of what constitutes a rookie and RC than you do.

I prefer major league rookies, you apparently prefer minor league rookies. There's no such thing as a 'true' rookie card. Whats important is that its all good because we both understand the difference. :)

Adamsince1981 said:
you own 400+ 1/1's...

Tulo's RC's aren't "minor league RC's) ((note: Minor League RC's have NEVER existed))...

I don't understand the difference...the 1st card accepted by the hobby is the RC...you feel something different...

you are wrong, I'm correct.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Virtualyankee: you are an idiot, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you're dead wrong yet again.

The 05 BDP is a rookie, recognized by Beckett and everyone else in the hobby

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Virtualyankee: you are an idiot, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you're dead wrong yet again.

The 05 BDP is a rookie, recognized by Beckett and everyone else in the hobby

who is virtualyankee?

Members online

Latest posts