Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

At What Point Isn't It a Card Anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I just read that the Goodwin Champions Golden Gate Bridge Landmarks Redemptions are going to be 1/2 inch thick (and oversized, yuck). This got me to thinking that they're pushing the bar as to what actually designates a card, well, a card. At a half-inch thick I have to hesitate to even call this a card. It's more like a flimsy shadowbox thingie, and is thicker than a Kit-Kat for God's sake. When a card can't fit in a 25-ct box is it really a card?

Am I out of line in saying this? Opinions?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Eh...give them credit for trying to be somewhat creative.At least they are trying.I wonder how much it will weigh though since it will most likely be metal of some sort of metal. I just hope the critter I redeemed fits into a reasonably sized case.

As for the fold outs...those aren't bad at all.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Actually it's an oversized card with an undersized piece of metal cable.

land.jpg

Yes, the card stands up on its own lmao

UtahUtes

Jun 22, 2009
cammy collector said:
the hell is it going to be made out of? metal from the bridge?

I'm picturing an Upper Deck rep cutting cables off the bridge in the middle of the night.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
This is the number one thing I hate in collecting these days. There is no set standard in thickness anymore. It's almost like the annoying oversized tall cards that faded once and then came back again to fade again.

I hate getting a card and not having a holder for it. You can't really buy a bunch like you can with base either because you don't know if you're even going to have another of the same thickness again.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I dont' like cards of people/and now things from an area of life other than the sport on the package of what I pay for.

I don't like super thick cards for manufactured patches.

I don't like super thick cards for things not related to the sport on the package.

I don't like booklet cards.

I don't like oversized cards.

I don't like uncirculated cards.

I also don't like sunny days, puppies, and take my Bic to every flower I see. :twisted:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Warren's All Stars said:
Actually it's an oversized card with an undersized piece of metal cable.

land.jpg

Yes, the card stands up on its own lmao

Why so thick for that?Seems a little excessive to me.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
gwynn5453l4u said:
Magnet...man...breathe! In through the nose...out through the mouth...
:lol:

I guess I'm just a fan of traditional 2.5x3.5" cards that's aren't super thick, unless it's necessary for a real patch.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Card Magnet said:
I dont' like cards of people/and now things from an area of life other than the sport on the package of what I pay for.

I don't like super thick cards for things not related to the sport on the package.

I also don't like sunny days, puppies, and take my Bic to every flower I see. :twisted:

Tell us how you REALLY feel?

How bout undersized cards, you like them?

How bout this - is a card a card if it has no corners? Round cards?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Warren's All Stars said:
[quote="Card Magnet":5kmyv7c2]I dont' like cards of people/and now things from an area of life other than the sport on the package of what I pay for.

How bout this - is a card a card if it has no corners? Round cards?[/quote:5kmyv7c2]
I don't like mini cards.

Basically, if a card won't fit in a standard 9 pocket Ultra Pro page or is too small, I don't like it.

If a card has no corners, I'm fine...as long as it's not a circle.

beberly

Aug 7, 2008
Binghamton, NY
I don't think it was meant to be the card which is why it was a redemption. It's just like when a couple products had redemptions in them for full, authentic game worn jerseys and other memorabilia.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Card Magnet said:
[quote="Warren's All Stars":23rn4c96][quote="Card Magnet":23rn4c96]I dont' like cards of people/and now things from an area of life other than the sport on the package of what I pay for.

How bout this - is a card a card if it has no corners? Round cards?[/quote:23rn4c96]
I don't like mini cards.

Basically, if a card won't fit in a standard 9 pocket Ultra Pro page or is too small, I don't like it.

If a card has no corners, I'm fine...as long as it's not a circle.[/quote:23rn4c96]

Name a shape that has no corners that is not a circle. (don't be a pansy and use oval)

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
justinmandawg said:
Card Magnet said:
[quote="Warren's All Stars":1o2b5mi1][quote="Card Magnet":1o2b5mi1]I dont' like cards of people/and now things from an area of life other than the sport on the package of what I pay for.

How bout this - is a card a card if it has no corners? Round cards?
I don't like mini cards.

If a card has no corners, I'm fine...as long as it's not a circle.[/quote:1o2b5mi1]

Name a shape that has no corners that is not a circle. (don't be a pansy and use oval)[/quote:1o2b5mi1]
A rectangular card with rounded corners. Not really a "corner" in the traditional sense. That's what I was referencing.
!BfKjn1gCGk~$(KGrHqQH-DQErgL3O-cqBL!JI6o3Rw~~_35.jpg

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I can't stand these super thick cards. The Sweet Spot autos bothered me for a long time because the MFG's for supplies didn't have any 180pt magnetic one touches. Then they started making them which eased the pain. But for the super thick cards such as the bridge piece or the quad bat barrel cards from Epic.........man thats too thick. I love showing off high end cards in one touches and if they are too thick to fit, I don't get interested unless its an uber rare piece.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Card Magnet said:

im not saying i disagree but this is a common complaint and its a simple fix if you dont like that stuff dont buy products like allen ginter or goodwin.

Latest posts