Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Greensboro NC show today...ugh.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
So I made the trek to Greensboro to see if I could find some missing singles for a few sets, and to take a look at this show as I had never been.

One thing that shocked me was a dealer who specialized in vintage had some serious 1933 and 1934 Goudeys...with almost all of the big cards being fake. Seriously. I mentioned to him, "You know those are bad right?" and he acted far more nonchalant for my comfort level so I passed on a decent '33 Goudey Lefty Grove and two more '34 Goudey Dick Porter singles. I am 90% certain he knew they were fakes and was trying to pawn them off as real...therefore, 90% of me believe he should have his hands removed with a hunting knife.

A group of three early 20's girls/women were walking around with an Alex Rodriguez" 2006 Bowman Originals" 1999 Refractor Autograph 1/1 and it looked sketchy. Fortunately the only person there who could buy such a card passed due to the uncertainty. Of course, let's not forget, Greensboro isn't too far from everyone's favorite eBayer down in Charlotte.

All in all, the show was a combo show with toys and cards so it was unfortunately heavy on the toys side. That makes sense I guess considering it is coinciding with the Sun-Times show this weekend in Chicago.

I picked up:
- a few more 1989 Randy Johnson Upper Deck rookies (to my never-ending stash)
- a dozen 1957 Topps Hit Stars singles for my set (old entertainment and music set)
- a few entertainment cigarette cards
- some vintage hockey singles (including some of my favorite vintage set - 1974-75 OPC WHA)
- some misc. chrome rookies (notables - Jordan Schafer '05, Bowden, Erbe, Francisco Rodriguez, Travis Snider, etc)
- 10 2009 Topps American Heritage Chrome parallels #/1776

Was it worth ever making the trip back? Not the hour plus drive...and I love to drive.

Super32

Aug 8, 2008
I was there today as well, spent all of $5. The show has generally been a little better in the past.

A teenage boy would have been in heaven with the cheerleading competition going on next door.

jimmyjam1973

Aug 9, 2008
Schertz, TX
I've been meaning to hit up that show since it's not that far from the ATL, but with it being a card/toy show, my experiences with those aren't that good.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Glad i never go there . rare if i even go to Charlotte shows anymore which i have set up at in the past.

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
The 1957 Topps Hit Stars set is awesome. I have these at PSA if you have any interest...

1-1957 Topps Hit Stars #15 The Four Aces
2-1957 Topps Hit Stars #53 Jerry Lee Lewis
3-1957 Topps Hit Stars #55 Andy Williams
4-1957 Topps Hit Stars #74 Kirk Douglas
5-1957 Topps Hit Stars #83 Sammy Davis Jr.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
There is a great card shop in Greensboro, best prices short of the internet and sometimes better! Check
out cards at the cages next time you are there, Gene is top notch.

Kevin

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Hey Mike, did you atleast go to Stameys BBQ across the street from the Coliseum? They have some great BBQ and sides there. That would have been more worth the trip than the show. LOL. Its been quite some time since I've been to a GSO show. Last one was in the 90's. I really hate the toy/card show combos. It always seems you get screwed over with having to look at a ton of barbie dolls and tractors. Sorry to hear it wasn't all that fun.

Hey, I may try to make it up for the December Raleigh show. You goin to that?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
1995BBRefractorGuy said:
The 1957 Topps Hit Stars set is awesome. I have these at PSA if you have any interest...

1-1957 Topps Hit Stars #15 The Four Aces
2-1957 Topps Hit Stars #53 Jerry Lee Lewis
3-1957 Topps Hit Stars #55 Andy Williams
4-1957 Topps Hit Stars #74 Kirk Douglas
5-1957 Topps Hit Stars #83 Sammy Davis Jr.
I'm building this set on the cheap, and then at a later date I'll work on higher graded stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts