Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did anyone here the BCS head guy talking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yesterday as I watched the Longhorns stomp a mud hole in the ass of Kansas...they had a guest in the booth.It was one of the head(if not the head) guru's of the BCS system.I guess from what they said, he is responsible for the BCS outcome.I guess he runs the computers or something.In any case...he said they are a long way off from any kind of playoff system because ,and I quote, "The BCS system is working so well right now.".After nearly dying of laughter I listened again and he said point blank that the BCS isn't worried one bit about who is the best team.They don't care.They are more worried with the money to be made.Its all about who is marketable and who will give the best ratings.

Now this is pretty common knowledge already.But I was led to belive that they at least let the computer decide who was best via stats.Apparently that is not true?Or maybe they do something to edge the stats?Needless to say it pisses me off.

Look.I am not a fan of Iowa or Cincinnati.I don't like Boise ST. either.Not one bit.I also think TCU, while a great team, couldn't beat the Longhorns or any other of the top three teams.That said...I do think its completely wrong to hold them out based on who sells more tickets or who has better ratings.Especially in a college setting.The NFL I can understand.But it is my opinion the college aspect of the game has become about money more than anything else.I am sure a lot of people feel this is common knowledge but it never bothered me until now.How the hell can you say the system isn't broken when you may very well have 4 or 5 different teams who finish with perfect seasons and they won't get a chance to compete due to crap they can't control?That would be like an NFL team such as the Browns or Tampa Bay having a perfect record but they are in a low revenue market so they don't get a chance to play for the superbowl.Who would be cool with that?

I think college sports needs to step away from some of this money they are making.The BCS needs to go bye bye.These D1 schools already make so much money due to enrollment alone that they could definitely afford to take the pay cut.I just can't respect something that has little to do with competition and more to do with potential money to be made.In my mind...its not a true competition.Now...like I said...I don't think some of these lower tier teams could win necessarily.But why not let the play decide that and not the money they make?

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
He is lucky that the SEC isn't like the pathetic PAC 10 and has no championship game. Bama and UF might be
the best 2 teams in football, but there is no chance that they will meet for the national title. I think the bigger
issue is with scheduling during the regular season. There are too many powerhouses playing FIU and Charleston
state and too many teams going undefeated but playing absolutly no one. I understand conference schedules, but
there 3-4 other teams that colleges can play. There needs to be MUCH more weight on SOS.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
He is lucky that the SEC isn't like the pathetic PAC 10 and has no championship game. Bama and UF might be
the best 2 teams in football, but there is no chance that they will meet for the national title. I think the bigger
issue is with scheduling during the regular season. There are too many powerhouses playing FIU and Charleston
state and too many teams going undefeated but playing absolutly no one. I understand conference schedules, but
there 3-4 other teams that colleges can play. There needs to be MUCH more weight on SOS.
Do tell why the Pac 10 is pathetic for not playing a Championship game? They have 10 teams and each team plays each other. There is no need for a championship game there.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
schmidtfan20 said:
::facepalm::

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
It's interesting that you don't think TCU could beat a "top tier" college. They had a harder schedule this year than Florida and Texas. TCU SOS is 32 to Texas 50 and Florida 37. I think Alabama is the best team in the country and TCU is second.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
I want peoples opinions on who the better team is

P1090918.jpg

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I absolutely LOVE college football, but when it comes time to bowl time, I usually just shake me head in disgust. I think we can all pretty much agree that March Madness is the best way to find out who the best team in the country is. One of the main reasons it's so good is because of the possibility of a "cinderella" team winning a few games and making it to the Sweet 16 or maybe even further than that. I just wish the NCAA would take the same approach to find the best team in the country for football, by either making a tournament or letting a smaller, less "attractive" team play for the national championship, instead of a bunch of schmucks saying, "If we have Florida play Texas, look at the ratings we'll get". I think most people will still watch the national championship game if it was Florida and TCU.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
justinmandawg said:
schedules are made out in advance. I don't blame a team for beating the teams on their schedule.

While true, they can still set up OOC match ups. TCU and Clemson set theirs up back in April or so of this year (maybe even later). So it can be done. Texas was banking on OU not sucking like they have this year.

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
justinmandawg said:
schedules are made out in advance. I don't blame a team for beating the teams on their schedule.

True, but when 2 teams are both undefeated like Texas and TCU are, looking at who they beat and who those teams beat should make it easier to decide who DESERVES to go to the national championship game.

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
Brad said:
mstng99tim said:
Brad said:

P1090918.jpg

The team on the right....BY FAR!!!!!!!!

And the teams revealed

P1090920.jpg

The team on the left, so casual fans and announcers don't have to learn the names of the players on the team on the right. We need to be able to root for teams with name-brand "stars" on them. That's the goal, right? ;)

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
sffanmike25 said:
Brad said:
mstng99tim said:
Brad said:

P1090918.jpg

And the teams revealed

P1090920.jpg

The team on the left, so casual fans and announcers don't have to learn the names of the players on the team on the right. We need to be able to root for teams with name-brand "stars" on them. That's the goal, right? ;)

More than one team Texas has beaten has 7 or more wins.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
justinmandawg said:
sffanmike25 said:
Brad said:
mstng99tim said:
Brad said:

P1090918.jpg

And the teams revealed

P1090920.jpg

And at the time they played OU, they were ranked.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
justinmandawg said:
justinmandawg said:
sffanmike25 said:
Brad said:
mstng99tim said:
[quote="Brad":1qpqffy9]I want peoples opinions on who the better team is

P1090918.jpg

And the teams revealed

P1090920.jpg

And at the time they played OU, they were ranked.[/quote:1qpqffy9]

That was from yesterday so some teams had not earned their 7th win yet. Also what does ranking from a month ago have to do now? Clearly OU is not a top 25 team

Members online