Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dodgers Baseball Fantasy Camp - My stats, awards, pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
The first week in November I attended the last Los Angeles Dodger Fanatasy Camp in Vero Beach (Dodgertown). This was the last camp held in Vero since the Dodgers are moving their spring training to Arizona. I had a great time. Played lots of baseball and met some of my favorite Dodgers. Steve Yeager, Rick Monday, Jerry Reuss, Bill Russell, Maury Wills, Carl Erskine, Tommy Davis

I batted .579 for the week and won a few awards. I thought you folks might like to see some
of my pictures from the week.

http://www.ladabc.com/summary.php

Dodger-Camp0000.jpg

Dodger-Camp0001.jpg

Dodger-Camp0002.jpg

Dodger-Camp0003.jpg

Dodger-Camp0004.jpg

Dodger-Camp0005.jpg

Dodger-Camp0006.jpg

Dodger-Camp0007.jpg

Dodger-Camp0008.jpg

Dodger-Camp0009.jpg

Dodger-Camp0010.jpg

Dodger-Camp0011.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
That's awesome, truly an amazing experience.

Those have always seemed like money well spent for the memories alone.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks, 200lb and Scuba

It was an incredible experience. I was amazed at how accessible the pro's were. Eating meals and having drinks with those guys and getting to hear some incredible sports stories was something I will never forget. The daily clinics were amazing.

Carl Erskine and Jerry Reuss pitching clinic
Steve Yeager catching clinic
Tommy Davis hitting clinic
Maury Wills base running clinic

Bruce Froeming as the nightly master of ceremonies was off the charts amazing. He has a great salty sense of humor.

I got to play, eat and sleep Dodger baseball for an entire week. I definately need to take my wife someplace special this coming summer!

Looks like a good time. A couple of guys on my adult league team go to O's Fantasty Camp just about every year in Feb. (Hell I wish I could swing that cost just once :) )

As part of your camp, do you get to play a game at Dodger Stadium in the summer? As part of the O's, one of the Saturdays during the season while the O's on the road, all the fastasy campers get to play a game at Camden Yards.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
J-E-A-L-O-U-S

Sox camp is BIG bucks. They do play at Fenway during the season (when team on road). I'd love to go some day but not sure my 42 year-old body would handle it...... :eek:

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I'm going to do the Royals camp in a few years. #5 usually goes and I'm not sure if that would violate my restraining order.

It looks like a good time. People always seem to have amazing memories.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Hey Tom - awesome pics!!! I remember you posting that you were going - it looks and sounds like you acquitted yourself pretty well and had an excellent time. Did you make it through injury free? My buddy is going to his third Brewer camp at the end of January - I was just talking with him about it this weekend and I wish I was going too. Your pictures make me even more jealous! Great stuff.

Bill

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Benson said:
Looks like a good time. A couple of guys on my adult league team go to O's Fantasty Camp just about every year in Feb. (Hell I wish I could swing that cost just once :) )

As part of your camp, do you get to play a game at Dodger Stadium in the summer? As part of the O's, one of the Saturdays during the season while the O's on the road, all the fastasy campers get to play a game at Camden Yards.

We played three games in Holman Stadium. The same field that Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Roy Campanella, and all of the Dodger greats once played on. The announcer called out our names before the game against the Pro's. It was really cool. Dodger Stadium isn't part of the package since the camp is in Vero Beach, Florida.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Pastretta said:
That's awesome man! Do you sign TTM? :) :p You know in the OF picture you look like AJ Pierzynski. :eek:

Ouch! That hurt... yeah... I hate to admit it but I can see the resemblence

Usually people tell me I look like Bill Murray for some reason. In some pictures I do see a slight resemblence... not with a hat on though.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Re: Dodgers Baseball Camp - My stats, awards, pics

imac220 said:
Did you get an invitation to go? If so , how?

I stumbled across an article that said this was the last Dodger Camp in Vero Beach so I sent them an e-mail asking if there was any space left. No invite necessary, it just takes a lot of $$$

Here is a good site to see all of the teams camps with a good chart of what is included in the package. I am not in any way affiliated with the below listed site. Some information may be outdated. All standard disclaimers apply...

http://www.hihard1.com/bascampcalandar.html

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
MaineMule said:
J-E-A-L-O-U-S

Sox camp is BIG bucks. They do play at Fenway during the season (when team on road). I'd love to go some day but not sure my 42 year-old body would handle it...... :eek:

I'm 41 but I play a LOT of softball so I was in relatively good game shape. I can't even begin to tell you how many guys got injured. Hamstrings, quadriceps, ankles, groin, etc.

My best advice is to mix in a LOT if stop and go running to simulate getting out of the batters box or running the bases. Most of the injuries were base running, just trying to get out of the batters box on their way to first. Many guys were saying they were surprised they pulled a muscle because they had been jogging. Jogging does not simulate base running or get your muscles ready for fast starts.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
I was hoping you were the big fat catcher at first.

If I was Matt Kemp, I'd hustle the ish out of guys in Dodger Camp.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Billy Packer said:
Hey Tom - awesome pics!!! I remember you posting that you were going - it looks and sounds like you acquitted yourself pretty well and had an excellent time. Did you make it through injury free? My buddy is going to his third Brewer camp at the end of January - I was just talking with him about it this weekend and I wish I was going too. Your pictures make me even more jealous! Great stuff.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Yes, I made it through injury free. I had a few aches and pains but no injuries. We got rained out the first daye so we played a double header on day two and we already had a double header scheduled for day three. I wound up playing four games, one of which went 12 innings, in less than two days... 39 innings in a 30 hour span... I played center field and only sat out one or two innings. I ran my butt off...

Like I said before, I had simple goals. One hit, one stolen base, and not get injured. I exceeded my own expectations. I had a lot of hits, you can only steal on a passed ball but I did get a couple, and I had a couple nice diving catches. I also played first base for one inning and catcher for four innings. A couple innings in left and right, but mostly center because I was healthy and had the speed to cover more territory than most.

Members online

Latest posts