Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
I am about ready to flip out here, sorry for the long read.

I sold 3 cards in a lot at 135 dollars. These cards were not relatively condition sensitive, and from the high quality scans I have, they were in great condition. After agreeing to the price, the guy sends me an email asking if he could just buy 2 of the cards for 120 bucks. I said he had already agreed to the price and that they would not be sent any other way.

I ship the cards securely in a hard plastic, non snap case, taped up with kleenex to hold the cards in place. I put a penny sleeve in between the kleenex and the cards to prevent any damage.

A couple of days goes by and today I get an email that one of the three cards has a small crease in the corner, and that it is generally ungradeable. He wants to pay 70 dollars total (below the market value of any of the cards) and files a claim. I check my scans of the card, and there is no crease in the part of the card he mentioned. I tell him as such and that I will not accept his offer. Meanwhile, paypal removes all 135 dollars from my account.

He sends a second email now saying that two of the cards have damage, and are unsellable. Scans say otherwise, but I offer him 25 dollars to shut the hell up and leave me alone.

He responds with he wants 50 total of a refund, and that the cards cannot be graded at their current condition.

I reoffer 30 dollars because I have other cards I want to buy and I cant do so with his claim in process.

Here is my thought.

1. The standard of cards on eBay is mint, and I am not responsible to break out a magnifying glass to determine if it adheres to an arbitrary standard by a third party grading company unless he asks ahead of time. Also, the cards left my hands in great condition and were shipped securely. If he wanted 9.5s, he should have bought 9.5s. He has no right to claim damage under this, because a card is supposed to be mint, not some above mint grade created by Beckett.

2. He can sell the cards raw and get all the money he bought them for, so this is unfair. He bought the cards raw, thats what he gets.

3. His communication is shady and suspect.

4. I will take this claim to the max, providing all documentation I have to show that the cards were not damaged beyond normal selling standards.

5. I have 100% positive feedback.

6. He could easily damage the cards himself, and screw me, hopefully that isnt possible. Then I am out 135 dollars and the cards are now damaged.

Thoughts?

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
Re: eBay Nightmare

Tell that jizzbucket you stand firm at $30. It's a shame that eBay will probably side with him, despite you keeping all of the communication you two engaged in. It's idiots like this that keep me leary about selling online - I know most buyers are good people, but I just don't want to take the chance that some moron like this railroads me.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008

Whatever deal we come to, if it ends with him getting more money than he deserves, I will plaster his username on every message board and my blog. That way, he can see what it feels like to screwed.

Im hoping that eBay takes notice that the scans of the cards look great and that grading has no factor in whether or not the cards were as described.

I never said in my auction that these cards would be guaranteed 9.5s.

Grading has slowly moved up my list douchebaggery in this hobby, and now I get ****** because of it.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008

I's def. suspect something too - based on him all of a sudden wanting to buy only two of the cards, then all of a sudden one is damaged and he wants a refund....kind of raises red flags.

It sucks that these threads almost always end up against the seller.....so I hope your situation turns out okay, and not like some of the recent posts I've seen - thinking of the one in baseball where the buyer was denied a refund claiming the card was trimmed, so he finally got the refund and set the card back having taken scissors to it and cut off a large portion of the card...it's honestly sad to me and makes me not even want to sell on Ebay.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008

rymflaherty said:
I's def. suspect something too - based on him all of a sudden wanting to buy only two of the cards, then all of a sudden one is damaged and he wants a refund....kind of raises red flags.

It sucks that these threads almost always end up against the seller.....so I hope your situation turns out okay, and not like some of the recent posts I've seen - thinking of the one in baseball where the buyer was denied a refund claiming the card was trimmed, so he finally got the refund and set the card back having taken scissors to it and cut off a large portion of the card...it's honestly sad to me and makes me not even want to sell on Ebay.

I told him to act with integrity because I have means of making sure he wont have the same chance again.

The bottom line is that there are so many people that will do anything to make money, that I almost want to stop collecting all together.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN

Really sorry to hear that Gellman. It's guys like this that make me hate eBay/Paypal more and more.

Please post or pm me his username, as I'd like to block this ******.

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008

Paypal will always side with the buyer. One time I sold a card with no mention of condition and I get slapped with a chargeback and lost for it being item not as described. This may be the similar example of what you may go through as he will probably go the 'item not as described' route.

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009

Stand firm at 30 or have him send them back.. That way you are not out anything. He has to pay for postage back with DC

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul

wheeler281 said:
Stand firm at 30 or have him send them back.. That way you are not out anything. He has to pay for postage back with DC

Well, if the buyer purposely damages the cards he's sending back, then Gellman would be out the original condition of the cards, making resale harder.

I wonder if this guy triesto return the cards from every pack he opens because they don't grade 9.5. I'd love to see that letter to Topps or Upper Deck.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008

One corner on the most expensive card is damaged, and another has some slight chipping. He wanted 50 off, so I said to send them back because I could resell for more than 50 off.

We will see what he says when he has to go through the trouble of sending them back, and being out those cards.

Members online

Latest posts