Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Topps Heritage gimmick? Dustin Pedroia w/ NYY logo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Dustin Pedroia w/ Yankees logo

The auction doesn't mention what product the card came from. Pedroia's card number in the base set is 15, so has this been inserted in the just-released high number product, is it a beyond-super-rare base set parallel, or is it a photoshop job?

Jul 30, 2009
moxacaine said:
There is a Jeter with a Red Sox logo also.

puking.jpg
resume_puking.jpg

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
moxacaine said:
yeah, I just saw that in the box break thread. Sickening.

thhjeter.jpg

Man, wouldn't it be great if Topps came out with a set featuring all-time greats pictured in the uniforms of their most hated rivals? That would be the coolest. Gehrig in a Sawx uni? Jackie wearing black & orange? Willie proudly sporting Dodger blue? Imagine the possibilities.

Yeah, not so much. Better watch what I ask for - I could see the lunatics running the Topps asylum doing something like I described.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Awful, just awful. Big difference between putting Mantle/Bush in a Jeter, putting the logo of the biggest rival is a no no imo. They really couldn't come up with anything more creative?

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
TNP777 said:
moxacaine said:
yeah, I just saw that in the box break thread. Sickening.

thhjeter.jpg

Man, wouldn't it be great if Topps came out with a set featuring all-time greats pictured in the uniforms of their most hated rivals? That would be the coolest. Gehrig in a Sawx uni? Jackie wearing black & orange? Willie proudly sporting Dodger blue? Imagine the possibilities.

Yeah, not so much. Better watch what I ask for - I could see the lunatics running the Topps asylum doing something like I described.

Actually Jackie was traded to the Giants, decided to retire instead.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
Yes, the card is mine. Each year with Topps Heritage they insert a couple SSP's beyon the basic SP's. They generally fall 1 per 7 to 10 cases of product. The set collectors go crazy for them and they always sell well ($200-$400). In my case I hope that the later is more realistic :D

Not sure if I like it or not, but since I pulled it, I'm digging it right now. The set builders know what the card is from, but I did add a little info in the description for anyone that wants to know more. Thanks. Rob

zep33

Aug 24, 2008
Cape Cod, Mass
I just don't get why they would drag the Pedroia and Jeter in from the first series, change it and add it to the 2nd series. The could have just used Red Sox and Yankees cards from the High numbers if they really wanted to create another variation.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Great Dealz Rob said:
Yes, the card is mine. Each year with Topps Heritage they insert a couple SSP's beyon the basic SP's. They generally fall 1 per 7 to 10 cases of product. The set collectors go crazy for them and they always sell well ($200-$400). In my case I hope that the later is more realistic :D

Not sure if I like it or not, but since I pulled it, I'm digging it right now. The set builders know what the card is from, but I did add a little info in the description for anyone that wants to know more. Thanks. Rob

Rob,
What card(s) in the past did they do the SSP ?
Are they listed in the Beckett?
plmk
Thanks
Paul

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
ronfromfresno said:
Actually Jackie was traded to the Giants, decided to retire instead.
Yep, I knew that - one of the many reasons to like Jackie Robinson! :D

Casebusters said:
What card(s) in the past did they do the SSP ?
Are they listed in the Beckett?
plmk
Thanks
Paul
SSPs from the past:

#201 Johan Santana with Mets logo
#440 John Smoltz is shown as a lefty with his name spelled "Jon" on the card's front.

2009 (copied & pasted from Kevin's blog)
#58 Conor Jackson with the Rays Logo on front
#70 Tom Glavine with his first name spelled "Thom"
#102 Adrian Gonzalez with the Rangers Logo on front
#346 Fred Lewis - picture on front is actually Randy Winn
#407 Randy Winn - picture on front is actually Fred Lewis
#445 John Smoltz pictured in Red Sox uniform
#488 Hanley Ramirez AS pictured in Red Sox uniform

and now
#15 Dustin Pedroia with Yankees logo
#83 Derek Jeter with Red Sox logo

and there'll be more to come, I've no doubt.

Great Dealz Rob said:
Grab that money while you can, for sure. Those SSPs always do very well initially, and then once people figure out they're not extremely rare the price drops considerably (especially when they're mass dumped into blasters in Kentucky). I remember a guy on the PSA boards that shelled out around $200 per 2009 base set SSP - they can be had for around $30 or so now. I've been selective about my purchases and am slowly whittling away at those. After the initial hype on the two 2008 SSPs died down a little, I ended up picking up both for around $40 each. The prices have held pretty steady on those, though. Set collectors snapped up most of the run - those things are a little harder to find these days, so prices are holding.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
TNP777 said:
Great Dealz Rob said:
Grab that money while you can, for sure. Those SSPs always do very well initially, and then once people figure out they're not extremely rare the price drops considerably (especially when they're mass dumped into blasters in Kentucky). I remember a guy on the PSA boards that shelled out around $200 per 2009 base set SSP - they can be had for around $30 or so now. I've been selective about my purchases and am slowly whittling away at those. After the initial hype on the two 2008 SSPs died down a little, I ended up picking up both for around $40 each. The prices have held pretty steady on those, though. Set collectors snapped up most of the run - those things are a little harder to find these days, so prices are holding.

Very true. The Hanley Red Sox card was selling well over $100 around release, and recently I picked up my copy for under $20. Sell early/buy late is definitely the way to go on these.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Sell Sell Sell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see what crap Topps inserts into the regular 2010 release.

autocut

hehehe too late, Topps announced it.

"TOPPS CONFIRMS SIX VARIATIONS IN HERITAGE HIGH NUMBER BASEBALL

In similar style to what it did in its regular 2009 Topps Heritage Baseball release by recreating variations from the original 1960 Topps Set, Topps is confirming that there are also six variation cards in the just-released Heritage High Number Edition. The variations are extremely short printed. (images attached)

# 15 Dustin Pedroia

New York Yankees Team Logo

# 83 Derek Jeter

Red Sox Team Logo

# 250 Albert Pujols

All-Rookie Design

# 563 Pedro Martinez

Black & White Head Shot

# 569 Alex Rios

Black & White Head Shot

# 545 Neftali Feliz

Black & White Image"