Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fixing a card - Yes or No or It Depends?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
ap-2.jpg

This card brings up a question for me. If you can't see it for some reason, or you don't get what I'm alluding to, the 'P' is actually the 'd' from Cardinals because the patch was inserted upside down.

If someone was to buy this card and flip the patch around, would people be OK with that? It's obviously 'improving' the card, and people don't seem to like improving of collectibles. In cards, one isn't often given the chance to manually correct an error, and I wonder if the improvement outweighs the idea of this thing being a piece of industrial art, or whatever, and it needs to stay as much as possible in the state it was when it came out of the pack.

In my mind this would be different from, say, Sharpieing a 1971 Topps, which is restoration that goes over into tampering. I guess it's not an issue so much with cards as it is with comics, one of my other hobbies, where 'pressing' is a raging debate. But let's say someone flipped this patch, or any of the others that seem to have been assembled by someone new on this planet. If they tried to resell it, would they have to be upfront about it? And if they were, should it affect the price? In which direction?

And what if you opened such a card? Most likely no one would know if you did such surgery, assuming it was done with skill. Would you do it or leave it as is?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
In my opinion, it's no different than restoring color or trimming an edge - you're altering the original card cosmeticly to make it more appealing.

If it were for your own pc, then do what you want with it. If you plan on selling it, I'd lean towards being against it.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
And even then, can you do it without damaging the card? And if the card does get damaged, would you then note that the damage came from moving the swatch around?

Honestly, I don't think it matters. Patches are placed upside down or sideways all the time.

AKT74

Sep 8, 2009
A better question is,

HOW THE HELL DO THESE COMPANIES LET THIS HAPPEN!?!?!?

That is just unbelievable.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As others have said...leave it alone.No good will come from switching it around.That is something you are wanting to do because it appeals to you.Who's to say it would bother the next guy?

Members online

Latest posts