Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How to organize a Player collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Good morning to y'all...

I am wondering how do you organize a specific player's collection in paper? Do you do a spreadsheet of all the cards you have? And how do you get all baseball cards of this specific player? I am curious how you the FCBers do with their own player's collection.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!
Bobby :)

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
now that I have a high percentage; I just download the Beckett all-card checklist; and check off the ones i have -

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Excel in my friend.

Have one for Ripken, and one for other O's stuff, and Prospects.

I have my Ripken set up into different tabs.

1 tab for the Premium cards. $10 and up.
2nd tab for the commons. $9 and below.
3rd tab listing doubles available for trade.
4th tab listing oddball items such as SLU's, Bradford Plates, ext.
5th tab of items sold/traded.

My Premiums colums are set up like this:

Player Year, Card Type, and Number HIGH BV Paid From
Ripken Jr., Cal '82 Donruss #405 RC $40.00 Trade ilovemesomeme

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg://

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
excel_B said:
I am wondering how do you organize a specific player's collection in paper? Do you do a spreadsheet of all the cards you have? And how do you get all baseball cards of this specific player? I am curious how you the FCBers do with their own player's collection.

I get most of the list of cards available from Beckett's website and enter them into an Excel spreadsheet. The columns I use are Year, Brand/Card, Card #, Have?, Serial #, Notes (other players, patch, auto, etc.), and book value. Cards are sorted by year then alpha by card/brand.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Here's how I have mine set up. I keep my auto/GU/1/1's stored seperately so thats what the type on the far left is. I also color code the gu/auto's.

untitled-1.jpg

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
I use an Excel spreadsheet. Downloaded the list from beckett. I use two tabs. First tab has my collection that includes how many of each card I own and book value. Second tab is the master list from beckett.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Russ S. said:
Excel in my friend.

Have one for Ripken, and one for other O's stuff, and Prospects.

I have my Ripken set up into different tabs.

1 tab for the Premium cards. $10 and up.
2nd tab for the commons. $9 and below.
3rd tab listing doubles available for trade.
4th tab listing oddball items such as SLU's, Bradford Plates, ext.
5th tab of items sold/traded.

My Premiums colums are set up like this:

Player Year, Card Type, and Number HIGH BV Paid From
Ripken Jr., Cal '82 Donruss #405 RC $40.00 Trade ilovemesomeme

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg://

Dedication. I had Beckett My Collection but accidentally deleted it after the Beckett change.

Dunno if I have the patience to do an Excel inventory, especially since my cards aren't physically organized right now.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
ffgameman said:
Russ S. said:
Excel in my friend.

Dedication. I had Beckett My Collection but accidentally deleted it after the Beckett change.

Dunno if I have the patience to do an Excel inventory, especially since my cards aren't physically organized right now.

Yes it is. But without it, it would be really hard to keep track of what I have and I don't have.
So if I get a PM saying, do you need this or that...it's real easy to just pull it up and see if I have it. :)

Once you put in the hard work, it's well worth it and it's very easy to maintain.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
I use Excel, as well. Everything is kept on a single sheet. Color codes: Green=Minor League Card, Yellow=Auto, Orange=GU, and Blue=GU/Auto.

sheet.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I have a printed list I cross items off of when I get them.Bad thing is I am too lazy to make a separate list for items that aren't on the official list(oddballs and whatnot).So I have a lot of unaccounted for items.Good part about that is for some weird reason my memory on those seems to be a lot sharper.I have a hard time remembering which cards I have but I guess since I like oddballs a lot more...I have an easier time remembering which ones I have and don't have of those.

Kudos to Russ and jay1065.Pretty cool feature you guys have showing what you paid for the item.I think that kind of info would be invaluable if someone wanted to create an actual pricing guide with 1/1's and low numbered cards included.It gets pretty crappy knowing that if you pull anything or even buy anything numbered lower than /25 that you will not have a BV or even an approximation to go by.Info like that could show what people are actually paying for these cards.It seems beckett should try to contact a few of you guys who do this because you could make their price guides a little more relevant and keep them from giving the classic "no pricing due to scarcity" copout.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
You guys all use spreadsheets rather than databases? That's pretty interesting.

If you're collections large enough, I'd recommend spending the 5 hours it takes to get a working knowledge of SQL.

You should be able to export your collection straight into the database without any problems -- or even connect it directly to Microsoft Access (i don't really use access & excel together)

Then you're collection will be easily accessible:

SELECT * FROM RIPKEN WHERE OWNED=TRUE & GU>2 & AUTO=TRUE & BOOKVALUE > 25
(display all of the ripkens that you own, have 2 pieces of game used or more, and an auto, with a bookvalue over 25)

You can basically perform terrific searches to find stuff very quickly. In addition to that, you'd be able to connect your website to it with no problem. Then, with a couple dropdown menus, you'd be able to navigate and display your entire collection to the world!! World!

Members online

Latest posts