Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What set(s) do you collect and why do you collect them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
I have always been curious what draws different collectors to certain sets. The question is simple. What set do you collect and why do you spend every moment looking to expand or complete the set.

Also if you have completed any set please share this as well.

I am very notorious for starting things and not finishing them. Same goes for the only 2 sets i ever attempted to collect.

The first was the 8x10 UD portraits set. Some big names, alot of small names. Alot of tough short prints. I think there were 35 or so total and i got around 28 of them. My goal was to get them all and display them in my room. They looked great but for one reason or another i stopped collecting the set and sold them all.

The second was 2006 ultimate collection quad patches /15. I think there were 32 of these and i had around 25 of them. This is in my opinion one of the best looking patch sets ever. My mom ran into a financial problem so i sold all of what i had to help her out. I never tried to re-collect either set since.

Phish

May 19, 2009
1990 Fleer

I was doing this ttm for a while because I love the rookies (Walker) in the set and Fleer is one of my favorite brands.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Once I get myself back on track financially, I want to go back and complete the 1995 Bowman set. I love the design of it, simple as that. The 1994 set isn't bad either, as it reminds me a little of Stadium Club back in the day.

1995:
07F.jpg

1994:
08F.jpg

des1984

Aug 6, 2009
I think your Greinke looks trimmed! :) .....

1960 and 1964 Topps for me and then 2008 Bowman Chrome Refs set. The vintage are my two favorite sets. The bowman set just came to be after I bought some packs.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I had a great start on the 2001 Chirography set from SP Authentic, but I had to sell shortly after getting married.

Once I allow myself to go outside my player collections, I'll start again.

Why? Because it is the best autograph set in the history of autograph sets and I wish they would keep making them every year.

My set would include the regular set from SP Authentic, the updates from UD Update, and the 2002 McGwire autograph reprint.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Completed sets:

2003 Topps Gallery Currency Connection Coin Relics
Liked the embedded coins
2003 Donruss Team Heroes Timeline Threads Jersey Cards
Nicely designed jersey cards, with pictures of actual jersey on back
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Feel the Game Classics Jersey/Bat Cards
My favorite looking game-used set, with some big names

In Process sets:

2001 Upper Deck Gold Glove Leather Bound Glove Cards
Gloves are very personal items to players
2004 Playoff Honors Tandems Dual Jersey Cards
Got a lot of them in boxes I opened, like the mix of players
1972 Topps
Year I was born

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
1999 Bowman Chrome International Refractor.

Unlike today's refractors where they just change the color, these show the background of the players Birthplace.
A little extra effort by the Manufacturer really makes the difference.
Today's refractors are getting VERY OLD in design and appeal imho.
This set has 440 different players and just about EVERY STAR from 1980 to 1999 is in there!

They are stamped #/100
Also a few nice ROOKIE stars in the set - CC Sabathia, Matt Holliday, Adam Dunn,Crawford,Josh Hamilton, Alfonso Soriano, Pena, Furcal, and a few others

NICEINT.jpg

bagwell_dave_roberts_international.jpg

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I'm hookede on the tobacco sized parallel sets from Allen & Ginter, Goodwin, T206 etc. 1 per pack makes them doable & I think they're great looking.

Flashmelo

Jun 1, 2009
Adamsince1981 said:
I had a great start on the 2001 Chirography set from SP Authentic, but I had to sell shortly after getting married.

Why? Because it is the best autograph set in the history of autograph sets and I wish they would keep making them every year.

My set would include the regular set from SP Authentic, the updates from UD Update, and the 2002 McGwire autograph reprint.

Hey, I got the complete set here, took me about 8 years.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u276 ... irography/

One of the most beautiful sets ever!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't care about the actual sell values of sets, I build what I like. Masterpieces comes to mind. I haven't put much effort into on the baseball front though.

I also toyed with building 2007 Topps 52.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
(1) 2000 UD HoloGRFX A Piece of the Series GU Set http://oneill21.webs.com/hologrfxset.htm
One of the few GU sets featuring actual World Series memorabilia, the checklist has all my favorite Yankees.

(2) 1986-87 Fleer Basketball
An iconic set, it has rookie cards of all the players I grew up watching.

(3) 2000-2004 Fleer Greats of the Game
These sets got me back into the hobby, some of Fleer's finest work.

(4) 2001 Upper Deck Legends of NY
I would love to eventually find this 200 card set which showcases the history of baseball in New York. I am looking to pick this up as a complete set.

(5) 2000 UD Yankee Legends Murderer's Row
As a Yankee fan how can you not like this set?

murdersrow.jpg

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Flashmelo said:
Adamsince1981 said:

Hey, I got the complete set here, took me about 8 years.

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u276 ... irography/

One of the most beautiful sets ever!

:shock: :mrgreen: :ugeek:

I just added that to my favorites pages! Simply Awesome!

It looks like you like 05 BC as well....we would be best of friends in real life. :lol:

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Card Magnet said:
I don't care about the actual sell values of sets, I build what I like. Masterpieces comes to mind. I haven't put much effort into on the baseball front though.

I just got my first start on the 07 UD Masterpieces set...every pack was fun to open...I'm going to keep busting and busting and busting.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
A lot!

I collect any of the throwback sets(Mayo, Goodwin, Ginter, Goudey) and I also colelct base sets of most other new products.I like the short sets that are 100 cards w/o sp's because I can usually pick them up for $10 or less and they are cool to add to the collection.I buy a set of UD first edition every year as well as Topps baseball and football.I try to do a set of UD every year for basketball, football, and baseball.I also do other various sets like stadium club, bowman, topps opening day,.Man...you name it, I have probably started a set of it.

The bad part is you get sucked in and you want more and more and more.So you start collecting the insert sets too.That cost me a boatload of money on a few sets.The most expensive set to date that I ahve put together was the 2006 topps turkey red and red parallel set.I purchased several boxes and then purchased the remainder of what I needED for both the regular and red sets on naxcom.It was pretty expensive since each SP was like $5 or $6 with some of the big name players costing anywhere form $10-$15 a pop.And the Red parallel set almost broke my back.But I finally finished them.Quite happy with it too.

I think if I had the money...I would try for a lot more than I do now.I'd start some auto and GU sets.I really like the Ginter Gu sets and think it would be cool to try for those but some of the sp's can be killer.The only auto set to date I have tackled is the Stadium Club beam team set for 2008 baseball.I finished the regular set and started on the B&W and the Gold but they have been killer to find.I should have gone after them harder when they first came out but I wasn't quite sure I wanted to do those so I held back.Now I am paying for it.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
Card Magnet said:

I just got my first start on the 07 UD Masterpieces set...every pack was fun to open...I'm going to keep busting and busting and busting.

In my experience...the best thing to do with a small set is open a box so you can get a nice head start and pull a few hits and then buy the rest on sportlots or something like that.I get myself into trouble sometimes buying retail pack after retail pack trying to complete sets.Sometimes it works out because the coalation is good but more than likely you waste a lot of money trying to build a set.I'd love to actually put all of my sets together but the topps factory sets are a breath of fresh air since I end up spending so much on the other sets I actually have to build.That money adds up after a while.

Members online

Latest posts