Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You've Got to LOVE Going Through Old Boxes(Mantle,1/1,more)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Today's my last day off for Thansgiving so I was digging through some old 5,000 ct. boxes. There are close to 300 of them in my basement, so from time to time I pull a couple out to see what's in them. Today's was AWESOME!

First, some Buck O'Neil love:
BuckONeilAuto.jpg

Now, some Andre Dawson. I remember pulling these from the same case back in the day and I remember chuckling that the 1/1 has a boring 1-color jersey while the 4/5 has a 2-color patch.

2005LegendaryCutsDawsonAuto1of1.jpg2005LegendaryCutsDawsonPatchof5.jpg

And finally, MANTLE! My step father bought me the card when I turned 13 and he took me to a show to meet Mantle to get it signed. In hindsight, I wish I would have got a bat or ball signed, but what did I know at 13. It's still a sentimental favorite of mine:
1969ToppsMantleAuto.jpg

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
chashawk said:
Nice stuff, bud!!

:eek: for the Dawsons, and :shock: at the Mantle.

Wish I had stuff like that in the basement. Mine is mostly fire kindling::facepalm:: :lol:

There, fixed it for you. :^)

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
So wait...you have 300, 5k count boxes in your basement? You either have a huge basement or the perfect makings of a maze :lol:

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
MojoDan said:
So wait...you have 300, 5k count boxes in your basement? You either have a huge basement or the perfect makings of a maze :lol:

I have 300ish in my basement. They are in stacks of 10, on pallets, in the middle of the room. There are about 50 more 5,000 cts in my "card room". And then, there are hundreds of other sized boxes.

I have too many cards.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
DaleMurphyCollector said:
MojoDan said:

I have 300ish in my basement. They are in stacks of 10, on pallets, in the middle of the room. There are about 50 more 5,000 cts in my "card room". And then, there are hundreds of other sized boxes.

I have too many cards.

If you ever feel like you need to part with a Jed Lowrie card....

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
beefycheddar said:
MojoDan said:

I have too many cards.

I was just about to say...I know what you can do with at least 2 of those cards. :lol:

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
beefycheddar said:
MojoDan said:

I have too many cards.

It's yours whenever you want it....

lowriefront.jpg

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I am trying to envision that and compared to my collection. Unreal. Did you inherit a large sum or just buy cases 50x over? I am just baffled and amazed, sorry :lol:

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
MojoDan said:
I am trying to envision that and compared to my collection. Unreal. Did you inherit a large sum or just buy cases 50x over? I am just baffled and amazed, sorry :lol:

I've collected since 1981. Stuff adds up over time. I've bought (maybe) 10 collections over the years too.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
MojoDan said:

Holy crap, I've only got one. I do have 3 two-row boxes full of Griffey's - I do need a fourth though.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
beefycheddar said:
MojoDan said:

I have too many cards.

It's yours whenever you want it....

lowriefront.jpg

how much paypal are you looking on something like that? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
congrats on the great finds.

the Buck O'Neill and Mantle auto's are amazing and it is funny that the 4/5 Dawson is nicer than the 1/1.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
Doesn't this just make you wonder what other people might have out there just forgotten or tucked away somewhere?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
I understand bud, I started in 82-83 and bought a couple of collctions but sold off the commons for 50k at a time for $100 bucks. I had enough 88 Donruss to insulate a 2500 sqft home :lol:

Members online