Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rare Drew Brees, is it worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Hello all, hope you are enjoying the Saints vs Patriots game.....

I wanted to see if anyone here on the boards has ever seen one of these cards for sale? OR if you have an opinion in regards to value, etc.

The long story, but shortened is that these cards were given out at a Purdue Home Football game during Drew's sr. year. I was tailgating at the time and was able to snag 6-7 of them. The kicker to these is that they were only handed out at the tailgate, AND it was raining and dreary that day. Luckily I knew someone that was handing them out and was able to get mine straight into my Jeep and in perfect condition. I saw hundreds of them thrown in the mud and ruined. I truly believe there are only a few handfuls of these in Mint condition.

Anyways, these were selling for between $20-$50 on ebay during his senior year, for the few that popped up.

Does anyone have any pricing information on these? Are they totally worthless since they are obviously not licensed? Or will collectors see them as a rare rookie card that they maybe have never seen before?

Thanks for your thoughts and your help!

Here is the front and back
DrewBreesPurdueRookie.jpg

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
At the very least, it'll be valuable to the player collectors I suppose. If you've got several, I don't think there's a better time than now to throw one up on ebay to test the waters.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Groat said:
At the very least, it'll be valuable to the player collectors I suppose. If you've got several, I don't think there's a better time than now to throw one up on ebay to test the waters.

Thank you!

I think it is worth a shot!

skrip

tenclubber

Apr 7, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
ballerskrip said:
Groat said:

Thank you!

I think it is worth a shot!

skrip

Good luck. I have 4 of these myself and remember picking them up at the tailgate when I was a student there. It certainly was a wet day as I remember seeing a lot of these on the ground stomped all over. Post the link to your auction here so we can monitor it!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you're looking to test the waters, now seems like a great time after the big performance in a nationally televised game, especially with it being MNF against the Patriots.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
There was a nother interesting tidbit to this story that I left out.

I played baseball at Purdue. When I sold one of these cards on ebay, I got an email from an anonymous person telling me that they "know who I am" and that what I what I was doing was against NCAA rules. They stated that if I posted any more of these cards that they would report me to the University and the NCAA.

I thought this was EXTREMELY Weird, but I was fairly paranoid about it and never sold any more of them. As far as I can figure, there was nothing "against the rules" that I was involved in. If I got these directly from the athletic department and they were only available to athletes, then that would be a different story. But since they were given out to the public, I would think I was safe....

Anyways, figure I would fill in the rest of the story.

Skrip

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
Crazy. Wonder if he really knew who you were, of if he just THOUGHT that he knew you.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
ballerskrip said:

I played baseball at Purdue. When I sold one of these cards on ebay, I got an email from an anonymous person telling me that they "know who I am" and that what I what I was doing was against NCAA rules. They stated that if I posted any more of these cards that they would report me to the University and the NCAA.

I thought this was EXTREMELY Weird, but I was fairly paranoid about it and never sold any more of them. As far as I can figure, there was nothing "against the rules" that I was involved in. If I got these directly from the athletic department and they were only available to athletes, then that would be a different story. But since they were given out to the public, I would think I was safe....

Skrip
Look at the bottom of the back of the card. It says "This card may not be resold during the student athlete's collegiate eligibility".

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Card Magnet said:
ballerskrip said:

Skrip
Look at the bottom of the back of the card. It says "This card may not be resold during the student athlete's collegiate eligibility".

Yet they sell the **** out of everything else that has to do with the athlete. Very weird.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Groat said:
Crazy. Wonder if he really knew who you were, of if he just THOUGHT that he knew you.

It wasn't Drew who sent me the Email. I knew Drew in college, he wouldn't have done that. I have no clue who it was. I wish i would have written down the screen name, I blew that.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Card Magnet said:
ballerskrip said:

Skrip

I am freaking blind. I never even saw that.....

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
ballerskrip said:
Card Magnet said:
ballerskrip said:

Skrip

I am freaking blind. I never even saw that.....
:lol:

The most obvious things are the easiest to miss. That's why we're here for each other :grouphug:

Members online

Latest posts