Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If the Red Sox want Pedroia at SS...UPDATE! Move over Theo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Re: If the Red Sox want Pedroia at SS...

He seems pretty excited to make the move :? did you see what smack (in a playful manner) that he was throwing out there towards Jeter?

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

MaineMule said:
He seems pretty excited to make the move :? did you see what smack (in a playful manner) that he was throwing out there towards Jeter?

No, do you have a link?

vwnut13 said:
I can't wait to see this!

Huh? I think he would be a great "under the radar" addition. 2x All Star, 4x Gold Glove winner, career .278 BA. I don't see them asking Dustin to play SS because they want Scutaro to play 2nd.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

jay1065 said:
vwnut13 said:
I can't wait to see this!

Huh? I think he would be a great "under the radar" addition. 2x All Star, 4x Gold Glove winner, career .278 BA. I don't see them asking Dustin to play SS because they want Scutaro to play 2nd.

No, I was talking about Pedroia at SS.

So you think the Sox will sign Scutaro and Hudson?

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

jay1065 said:
MaineMule said:

No, do you have a link?

ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/ne ... id=4702985

"When the idea of moving back to shortstop was floated to me, I welcomed it," Pedroia said. "I'm excited. Tell Derek [Jeter] to enjoy the Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards while he can. Obviously, I'm not serious about the fun I have with Derek, but I'm never stopping believing in the goal. I believe I can play shortstop and help get the Red Sox back where they belong."

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

vwnut13 said:

I hope they don't sign Scutaro. Hudson is younger and has better numbers all around.

MaineMule

Thanks for the link/quote. That's great! :)

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

jay1065 said:
vwnut13 said:

I hope they don't sign Scutaro. Hudson is younger and has better numbers all around.

MaineMule

Thanks for the link/quote. That's great! :)

...and I suspect a piece of him was not kidding, knowing how confident he is :lol: :lol:

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

coltsnsox07 said:
Someone needs to tell vwnut Pedroia used to be a SS.

Pedroia won't have the range to be a SS, and his arm won't be good enough.

I'm sure there is a reason as to why Pedroia was moved to second base. Supposidly it was because of Hanley Ramirez, and we know what kind of fielder he is.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area

vwnut13 said:
coltsnsox07 said:
Someone needs to tell vwnut Pedroia used to be a SS.

I'm sure there is a reason as to why Pedroia was moved to second base. Supposidly it was because of Hanley Ramirez, and we know what kind of fielder he is.

And Derek Jeter used to be one of the worst fielders in the league. Things change my brotha. David Eckstein has proven you don't have to have a rocket for an arm or outstanding range to be suitable for the job.

Note, I am not a Red Sox fan, but I think Pedroia would be just fine at shortstop.

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY

I understand a move if they had a viable option at 2nd base coming in, but really, is Orland Hudson worth it for one your best players to move? I know he's been a SS and could do fine, but why mess with a good thing for someone like an Orland Hudson who was benched at the end of the year. Now if he were at SS right now and they could get a Hanley Ramirez, then you say can you move to 2B, but in this situation I don't see the point.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL

vwnut13 said:

Two Time National Defensive Player of the Year
Played the vast majority of his games in college at short, making 4, 8 and 11 errors from 2002-2004.

"He wasn't the explosive, highlight-reel guy, but he was, in our minds, we thought he was arguably the best defensive shortstop in the draft that year," said Sox amateur scouting director Jason McLeod. "We've talked so much about his freakish hand-eye coordination [as a hitter]. You saw the same thing with the glove. It was just ridiculous how he always seemed to get the right hop. You never saw a ball rattle on him. Soft hands, ball stuck in his glove, quick transfer, out. It was really fun watching him take ground balls and throw them to first base."

"Now, with what's been discussed with him possibly moving back over there if the need ever arises, he's moving much better than he ever did as an amateur," said McLeod. "His hands as a second baseman are second to none, and he's moving better now. So I would not doubt him one bit from going over there and playing really steady shortstop."

"If it's hit to him, it's going to be an out," said McLeod. "Period."

Not that I expect you to understand anything, because your history on this board has shown you are a biased idiot, but Pedroia was moved to 2B full time after the Red Sox made at the time what was labeled as a "huge splash" sign in Lugo, and they did not resign Loretta. For what its worth, Pedroia's projected fielding in terms of UZR/150 (which you probably wouldn't understand either) at short stop projects to be better than average, which would add to his VORP at the position.

All that being said, I still feel that the best move for the Red Sox is to sign an Adam Everett type, paired with a Beltre at third, which would greatly increase the defensive capabilities on the left side of the infield where pitchers shuddered every time a ground ball was hit last year. I think that Lowrie would also win the full time SS job by summer, as soon as he proves he can be healthy.

Members online

Latest posts