Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who's your college team and why??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Did you go there?
Did you grow up the state?
Fan of a player/coach?
Any other reasons?

I'm a Penn State and Ole Miss fan.

Grew up in PA as a PSU fan and went to undergrad there (freshman year was 94, the year we got hosed out of the national Championship)

Went to grad school at the University of Mississippi during the Eli Manning years. So I'm kinda split.

Love to watch SEC football, Ole Miss will always be in my heart but Alabama and PSU kinda have a connection with our bowl history and the JoePa/bear thing. SEC football is really the best football to be honest

At the end of the day, I'm a Big 11 fan, so PSU is where it's at but it's always nice to see Ole Miss beat LSU :)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Well there are two teams that I really follow.

Texas and East Carolina University.

I have been a Texas fan since Mack Brown started coaching them in the late 90's. He was the coach at UNC and had a lot of respect around here. Plus, they have always been fun to watch.

And I keep up with East Carolina University because I'm about 20 minutes from the campus and its a great bunch of fans to be involved with. I have been to many games and the atmosphere is amazing! They aren't top tier Div.1, but they can hang with some of the larger colleges in the nation....ie U of Miami, Virginia Tech, UNC, TCU, Southern Miss.

I have enjoyed meeting some of the local superstars that played on the ECU teams. I have had dinner with Steve Logan(former head coach) met some stars such as Marcus Crandall, Scott Harley, Chris Johnson, and had a friend from highschool play there and go onto the NFL (Terrence Copper).

Its a great time around here as just this past weekend, the Pirates wrapped up the C-USA East Division title and they host the 18th ranked Houston Cougars on Saturday for a shot at repeating as C-USA champs.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
The U. Why? Because they're awesome.

When I was a kid, I liked a few players who had one thing in common - they were from Miami (this included Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson). I started watching them because of that, and grew to be a die hard fan. Two of the main guys were Vinny Testaverde and Michael Irvin.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
Notre Dame fan as long as I can remember. My Dad's side of the family are die hard fans, every Saturday we used to go to my Grandmothers house for the games before she passed. Hell, even my Grandma was a huge fan, theres something about an 80 year old woman screaming obscenities at the tv while drinking a beer.

GO IRISH!

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
Missouri Tigers

I spent one semester there after high school for their journalism program. I came home when I changed my major. I would have loved to stay but couldn't justify the outrageous out of state fee if I wasn't majoring in journalism.

I got to a small school now with no football team which is why I still root for Mizzou. I do plan on transferring to UCF in August though.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
Went to University of Illinois
-They were good when I was there back in the Jeff George, Simeon Rice years
-Had solid hoop squad as well

University of Notre Dame
-Southside of Chicago & Catholic

Auburn
-two cousins played for them (one in mid 70s, other in mid 80s)

Nothwestern
-took some classes there plus LOVE rooting for the underdog

Anyone playing Iowa

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Pitt - I live in Pittsburgh, plus, a few of the best players at their postion in NFL history came from Pitt. My wife graduated from there and we've had football season tickets the past 2 seasons.

QB - Dan Marino
RB - Tony Dorsett, Curtis Martin
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, one of the best right now and on his way to being a HOF'er.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!!

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
mstng99tim said:
Pitt - I live in Pittsburgh, plus, a few of the best players at their postion in NFL history came from Pitt. My wife graduated from there and we've had football season tickets the past 2 seasons.

QB - Dan Marino
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, one of the best right now and on his way to being a HOF'er.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!!

I always forget Martin went to Pitt. Do you have any nice Martin's Tim?

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I follow the Indiana Hoosiers because both of my alma maters (the University of Evansville and Boston University) got rid of their football programs.

Currently, the IU football program is only marginally better than U of E and BU!

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
Iowa Hawkeyes - started as a fan, primarily, because there is no pro team to cheer for in Iowa. A couple of their better linemen, Jon Vrieze and Jim Johnson, were north Iowa boys, so it gave us a reason to cheer that much louder for them - sidenote, I know Jon Vrieze fairly well and he is reffing college games - did a Big Ten preseason game a few years back. I'm sure as a child, the colors probably appealled to me, as well - kids are like that.

As a fan, I also latched on to players like Nick Bell, Tim Dwight and Chad Greenway over the years, and enjoyed watching the team put up fairly decent seasons. Seeing them beat teams like LSU and hang in there with Florida was always enjoyable too.

But as a fan now, I really appreciate coaches like Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz. Fry's coaching tree is unbelievable, and Ferentz is able to bring in guys and make them into quality players at positions unfamiliar to them. Robert Gallery came in as a tight end and was moved to tackle, Marvin McNutt was a QB who is now playing at a high level as a receiver, and Karl Klug was one of Minnesota high schools better RBs a couple of years ago, who is now doing well on the D-line.

I know Iowa will never be a pretty team to watch, they'll never attract the 4/5 star athletes, but they make the guys they have into winners, and I admire that.

Besides, what am I going to do being an Iowan: cheer for Iowa State? *throws up*

mstng99tim

Apr 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
deceptikon1978 said:
mstng99tim said:

QB - Dan Marino

HAIL TO PITT!!!!!

I always forget Martin went to Pitt. Do you have any nice Martin's Tim?

I have a few jersey cards of him, but I don't have a single auto of him. ::facepalm::

Back in '95 when him and Kordell were rookies, there was a card show in Monroeville and they were both there signing autos. Since I was 16 and didn't have a job, I only had enough money for 1 mini helmet and 1 autograph. Since Kordell was a Steeler, I got his auto. ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

Fast forward to '04 when the Steelers drafted Ben. Ben was in the Mario Lemieux golf tournament and since I was unemployed at the time, I didn't want to spend an extra $25 for a mini helmet. So I took Kordell's auto off of the mini helmet with some rubbing alcohol and I had Ben sign it. I don't think I'll ever be taking his auto off of it!!!

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
WRECK EM TEXAS TECH!

I was born and raised in Lubbock, Tx. My first football game was a Tech game. Everything is about Tech lol. I know football players that have come up through Tech, A lot of my friends have graduated from there. One of my best friends owns a Tailgate spot. ETC ETC ETC ETC.

Willywanker

Feb 18, 2009
Outside of Motown
Ferris state university.
Cause I went there for a couple of years
sure sure they went 1-10 this year, but hey at least it wasnt 0-11

Michigan State
Cause I grew up in a house with both parents who graduated there.

wheeler281

Mar 6, 2009
Syracuse University. Specifically Basketball. However the football team has fallen on hard times but man they were fun to watch and people would be surprised with the talent they have in the NFL
Also Grew up there and basically nothing else to do in central NY

Go Orange! Wesley Johnson is going to win Big east Player Of The Year.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Wisconsin Badgers

I was born in Indiana but we moved to Wisconsin when I was like 2. I grew up watching the Badgers and both of my Grandpas have season tickets so I get to go to several games every year. Also my entire family are Badgers fans.

mortz93

May 26, 2009
Miami Hurricanes..

i dont really remember but it was the team i started watching the most and id liked alot the way mcgahee, dorsey, johnson played,so thats being my team since those times i think lol

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Texas

Season tickets since I was four, been to every major UT sporting event since about 1985, I was accepted there (didn't go), I'm friends with former and current players, and I grew up in Austin

Members online

Latest posts