Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has Anyone else ever heard of this before--Should I Worry???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Bought a card for $20 and some change off ebay as a Christmas present for my wifes brother.....no big deal, paid for it 5 days after winning the auction, seller required payment within 7, and the day after I paid sent this message........

--"Payment recieved, will ship the card as soon as payment hits my acct???"--

I follow up with this as I am confused.....
Wait a minute--I sent funds (Paypal Balance) and they were immediately so what do you mean you will ship when the money hits your acct?? You got it immediately in your PAYPAL acct correct?? Please explain what you mean by when the funds hit your acct?

That all occurred last night. This morning I wake up to this as a response..
--Money is in PAYPAL acct, but I dont have it yet....

So, I dont know what to say at this point. I am guessing this guy is waiting and forwarding the money to his checking acct or requesting a check from PAYPAL???? Why would he wait to ship the card??? What is worse, is I have transfered money around through PAYPAL and have had it take 7-10 days to process through at times. Does this mean I have to wait that out. I needed the card by the 19th, and I am getting worried the seller will be unalbe to deliver. I dont think he would scam me over $20, and his feedback is good, not 100%, but well above 99%, though I do see he is sitting at about 4.1 on his shipping time...

TK

A_Pharis

I would tell him that it being in his account means that it's paid and that there is no chance that it won't "clear". Just let him know that you'd appreciate the item being sent or that it will be reflected in his feedback and DSR Ratings.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Had it happen a few times as a seller when I was selling alot

Sometimes paypal puts a freeze on the money for some reason

I called, and If I remember right, they wanted me to provide a tracking # for the item

But, it can also take 3-4 days for money to clear in paypal If I remember correctly

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
HPC said:
Had it happen a few times as a seller when I was selling alot

Sometimes paypal puts a freeze on the money for some reason

I called, and If I remember right, they wanted me to provide a tracking # for the item

But, it can also take 3-4 days for money to clear in paypal If I remember correctly

I thought of this as well, and that is why I asked if the money was "IN" his paypal acct and he responded with yes, so I dont think it is being held. I just sent him another message like apharis suggested and also made a note to him that if PAYPAL is holding the money I would resend it.

Just wierd, I have never heard of this before or had it happen....just really fishy that this guy finds it necessary to physically get the money from PAYPAL before he ships.

Judging from his shipping time DSR's I get the feeling this is something he is doing on all his auctions.

TK

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I like having the money in my account because it protects your PP account from being frozen by an angry buyer

I get the money, withdraw the money from my PP and transfer to my bank acct, then ship your card on the same day as the withdrawl...that way, but the time the card gets to you, the money is already in my bank account and have nothing in my PP acct

Then, this way, if the card gets to the buyer, and he files a claim for whatever reason, there is no money in your PP account to take or hold (unless you have another acct linked with them, which they will attempt to withdraw the money from, but that is another story)

That is my guess as to why he is doing it

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
Pretty sure the card will arrive by the 19th(still a lot of time and hope so). But if you wanted the card shipped quickly why pay 5 days later?

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
cstmleather said:
Pretty sure the card will arrive by the 19th(still a lot of time and hope so). But if you wanted the card shipped quickly why pay 5 days later?

I paid as soon as I could...and I figured I would have plenty of time to get the card to me within 19 days regardless.....but now I am a little concerned because if by chance it does take 7-10 days to get the money into his acct. then another day after to mail it, then slow mail with all the Christmas stuff, well I could be in trouble. All in all, I am sure I will be fine, but I just found the entire situation odd......I almost felt as if he was saying I was going to scam him, or he is going to scam me and there is no way I can then get my money back......at least that is the way it seems, and I have never heard of anyone else doing this, and I have been on ebay for years..

TK

boomets

Jul 17, 2009
I sold a laptop on ebay, and it ended last tuesday
I sent the laptop last wednesday, but paypal wont clear the payment until Friday of this week.

Even though the guy paid, they wait till he gets the item to clear the funds

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
My only guess is that the seller transferred the money out of his paypal account into a bank account and is waiting until it gets into his bank. Its not e good argument but that could be what they are trying to say

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
mredsox89 said:
My only guess is that the seller transferred the money out of his paypal account into a bank account and is waiting until it gets into his bank. Its not e good argument but that could be what they are trying to say

it has to be this and it is a violation of the seller terms of service on Ebay, he's not allowed to.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If PayPal---eBay--- did not treat customers like a bank (which they are not, for those who didnt know), and if they gave sellers a better safety net instead of freezing money immediately, then situations like this could be avoided where a buyer is waiting forever because the seller is scared of a fraudulent claim

I understand their need to freeze the money, but they are not a bank and should not treat people who use them like one

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I can agree with all of your points...and as a seller I am not really judging what the guy is doing, but why does that hold up the shipping of my card....even if he shipped it today, more than likely the money will be in his checking acct safe and sound before I even get the card.....

Also, and maybe just a lot of people dont have this luxury, but I have a PAYPAL DEBIT/ATM card and I can immediately withdraw the money if I thought this to be an issue...and quite frankly, the logic doesnt make much sense, becuase PAYPAL will still put a "hold" on the funds....if he doesnt have the money in his acct. then PAYPAL has the right to debit his credit card or take it from his bank acct. after 21 days.........

TK

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
pujolsthomefan33 said:
I can agree with all of your points...and as a seller I am not really judging what the guy is doing, but why does that hold up the shipping of my card....even if he shipped it today, more than likely the money will be in his checking acct safe and sound before I even get the card.....

Also, and maybe just a lot of people dont have this luxury, but I have a PAYPAL DEBIT/ATM card and I can immediately withdraw the money if I thought this to be an issue...and quite frankly, the logic doesnt make much sense, becuase PAYPAL will still put a "hold" on the funds....if he doesnt have the money in his acct. then PAYPAL has the right to debit his credit card or take it from his bank acct. after 21 days.........

TK

Transferring money from my paypal to my checking account (BOA) usually takes two business days for what that is worth, if anything.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
mredsox89 said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:

TK

Transferring money from my paypal to my checking account (BOA) usually takes two business days for what that is worth, if anything.

Normally it is about 2-3 days for me as well, but I have had several times where it took 5, and 2 instances where it took 7 and 1 that took 10 days....so it isnt always so quick. However, now, I just use my ATM card and withdrawal whenever I want at Walmart and I have the cash right then..

TK

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts